New here

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2006, 01:33 PM
candacesoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone...I'm Candace and I'm no pro but I'd love to learn to take better pictures of my kids and my life in general (as long as I'm NOT in the shot...that is! ) I actually take many pictures because I use them at work (we own a recording studio) to do peoples cd graphics and I document most of the gigs that my DH plays (he's a professional musician.) But mostly I love the pics of our kids. To be honest...If I snap a great picture, it's usually some kind of accident.

Here's the first pic I'd like some opinions on. How can I doctor this up. I'd like to print it but would love to get it in top shape first. If you had been taking this pic... what would you have done differently to start with? I read on this board about how it's better to use natural light than a flash so that's what I was trying to do this day. (I'd like to take better B&W photos in the future.) Also...just let me know if you like it. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Emma DD 8 yrs old

In a sec. I'll like to add a few more pics to get opinions on.

Thanks,

July 12th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Chloe DD 5 yrs old

Jack DS 8 yrs old

One in color....

Here's the other pics. We were out fishing...hence the worm in Chloe's pic. What do you think of them? Lately, I've been thinking that my camera is not focusing as well as when I first bought it. Things just seem blurrier.

Thanks,

July 12th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi Candace.... to the board, I'm glad you jumped in!

I am by NO means a pro either, but I'll give you my 2 cents.

The first one is a great shot...she is a beautiful girl! I would have had her lose some of the hair in her face first as it hides her gorgeous face a bit much...although sometimes when you're just snapping away you don't realize until later. Also, your conversion is a little flat, IMO, it could use a bit more contrast, etc.
The next 3 look good too, I love the worm, that is too funny...all 3 kiddos are adorable.

Hopefully others will offer some constructive criticism as well.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

</div>
July 12th, 2006, 06:07 PM
MHOSEY's Avatar Veteran
Welcome Candace! I really like the last two pictures you posted. Can you show
the original picture of the first one?

July 12th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rylie's Mom Send a message via MSN to Rylie's Mom
i agree with dava about the first one, i would push some of her hair out of her face just to show her other eye a little more. but it shows how natural it is. they're all gorgeous though!
July 13th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Welcome Candace! I really like the last two pictures you posted. Can you show
the original picture of the first one?[/b]

Actually, that is the original. I took it on the b&w setting. Sorry.

I see what you all mean about it needing more contrast. I'll play with it later today.

About the hair. It sure was a mess that day! Emma had been swimming and she was totally engrossed in fishing during the picture taking. If I had tried to fix her hair...I would have been in for a battle!
I kind of like it because it's really how emma is...beautiful and wild.

Thanks so much for the input and the kind welcomes to the board!

July 13th, 2006, 08:03 AM
pixie_styx's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the board! Those are some lovely shots. Very cute kids too!
I agree with Dava's points re: the hair and the b&w conversion. The tones on the worm pic are nice though.
What type of camera are you using. Can you auto select focus points besides just the center of the frame?
July 13th, 2006, 10:22 AM
.Becky.'s Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to .Becky.
Hi! OK so I'm not even close to a pro here, but I gotta say i LOVE LOVE LOVE the pics of your kiddos. I actually like the hair in her face as that is a natural in the moment look for her. I tend to like the posed look better, but not in this case. I love how you caught her natural beauty messy hair and all. (if only it wasn't shading her face darn it)

</div>

He takes her from the home she knows to lands of which are new. Survival is an unknown place, becomes her test of truth. Her burdens of many and his tanks sometimes are small. She keeps her faith through thick and thin and makes the best of all. She lives with some uncertainty, knows not what dawn may bring, but he knows nothing stops his girl from doing anything. Whether star or stripe or bar adorns his collar or his strife, nothing means more to a soldier than the one he calls his wife.
July 17th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks for all the further replies. I messed with Emma's pic and added contrast. Does it look better?

pixie_styx-------My camera is a Canon Powershot A95. I think I can select other focus points but I've never tried it. Like I said...if I take a good pic, it's some kind of accident.

becky.--------thanks for the enthusiasm!

I'll try to catch up on this board today. I'm usually not online over the weekends so I missed several posts.

hugs,

okay...now that I look at the before and after pic....I can't see any difference! Maybe I should play with it some more.

July 18th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
B&W conversions are tough, I'm never 100% satisfied with mine, but getting better at it. How do you do your conversions, maybe we can offer some help???

</div>
July 18th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Actually I took these on a b&w setting so I didn't have to convert them. I was just trying to up the contrast and give it some depth but I didn't seem to do that. I've got alot to learn but at least it's fun.

July 18th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
DUH, you said that already, apparently I was having a brain fart. I'll get it together now!

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search