I need some inspiration girls...

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been asked by my sisters future step-DIL to shoot the upcoming wedding! Now, under normal circumstances I would not even consider this, WAY to much pressure...but I asked my Sis if I said no what would they do. She said probably go out and buy a 35mm on sale somewhere and ask somebody to take pics for them. {Long story short, they're having major financial difficulties right now but they apparently had most of the wedding paid for before running into problems.} Soooo, I'm tempted to say yes...hopefully I would be able to capture some shots that not just any "Joe blow" would be able to do, plus it would great experience for me.
I was hoping it was an outside wedding, but no luck there, so if I say yes I'm going to check out the church sometime beforehand to see what I'm dealing with light wise.

Anywho....the whole purpose of my post...I'd LOVE to see your fave wedding shot or shots, {as many as you want,} that you've taken. That shot that you're SO glad you captured! The one I canNOT forget, etc. I would of course sit down with the bride and groom beforehand to get a list of the shots they want...but of course I want some of my own too.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

</div>
July 12th, 2006, 08:36 PM
dkmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i don't have any off hand to show you - but i can describe some that i've liked!
if the church has stained glass windows - a nice one is in natural light of the bride looking out the window - not of the window though - does that make sense?

thats the one i can think of off the top of my head, if i think of more, i'll repost
July 12th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rylie's Mom Send a message via MSN to Rylie's Mom
there's the obvious hands w/the rings one with the flowers next to the hands. i have some that i will try to put on a cd to dl onto my comp at work sometime in the next few days that i have taken. good luck! but if thats really what they would do, you totally know that no matter what yours will be better than what they would get otherwise so its a good thing for everyone.
July 12th, 2006, 10:33 PM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
Send a message via MSN to SugarNSpice Send a message via Yahoo to SugarNSpice
Oh Dava! LOL

I just did my first wedding, so I know exactly how you feel. But...in their situation, it sounds like you'd be doing a HUGE favor for them and also it would be WONDERFUL experience for you! I would do it for sure!!

My best advice is definitely sit down with the bride and groom and make out a checklist of 1) shots you MUST get 2) shots they would like you to get, but not a must-have 3) list of all the family shots

If possible, get someone to go with you to help you round everyone up and keep you organized.

Bring a back up camera just in case yours malfunctions. Bring extra batteries and an extra memory card. Bring a bottle of water!!!! lol..you'll get thirsty!

What kind of camera are you using? I can tell you this...there's NO POSSIBLE WAY I could have shot the wedding I did (which was also in a church) if I hadn't had my 430EX speedlite flash unit. I bought it the day before the wedding....about $500....and I'm so glad I did because I would have been up $H!T creek if I hadn't. The lighting was NOT sufficient in the church to not use flash and on-camera flash would never have worked....not that I was considering using that anyway...but I'm just saying.

I shot what I could without flash at all, but all of the shots inside the sanctuary it was impossible without my flash unit. I bounced it off the ceiling and got great results.

Anyway...I could probably give you so much advice for a first time wedding shoot, and if you'd like to ask me some questions, just let me know and I'll gladly help you anyway I can!!!

Here's a few of my favorite shots from the wedding I did:

Anyway...if you'd like to see the whole gallery, it is:

www.jwhitephotography.com/tatewedding

July 13th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks Ladies...I appreciate any and ALL advice/help/suggestions, etc.

Jamie ~ I'll be using my Rebel...SIL just bought herself one too, so I was already thinking of maybe borrowing hers too just to take along as a back-up, "just in case".
I have an external flash, not the 430EX, {not sure what mine is though, I'd have to go downstairs and look, that's how rarely I use it } and I figured I'd probably have to use that...although I'm thinking of trying to convince them just to have it outside. J/K sorta

Give me all the advice you got!!!
What would you have done differently, anything?
Did you get another lens or did you shoot the whole thing with your 50mm?
The close-ups up on stage, during the ceremony...were you as close as you look like you were? Did they notice you? Did you "clear" that with the bride ahead of time or just do it?

I know I had more questions, but I lost them, I'll be back when I remember them.

Ohhh, was going to say...love how you captured the bride on the dance floor...she looks like she's ready to "jump" her groom at any time. Too cute!

</div>
July 13th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Veteran
If it were me (I have never done one) I would use your external flash inside and convince them to do their poses outside. There's this really cool one that the photographer took of the groomsmen at a wedding we were in. They were all spread out in a row and at the count of 3, all jumped up as high as they could go. It was a great fun shot!
July 13th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rylie's Mom Send a message via MSN to Rylie's Mom
oh, another thing is when doing a bride with a long train, pay MUCH attention to detail. my friend had a proffesional do hers and she did absolutely NOTHING with her train! and for the family shots she didn't adjust the camera after changing people (she was using a remote to fire the camera) and there was a bunch of empty space on one side and if i remember right some one was half out of the picture (just on one not all). not good. but the big thing she was upset about was her train. i pointed it out partway through but all the ones of herself the train is just trashy.
July 13th, 2006, 09:06 AM
candacesoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

These are two of my favorites of my own wedding. The photographer just took these standing near a bunch of trees but I love the background and the lighting. I'd say....make them go outside for as many pics as you can (if the weather permits, of course).

July 13th, 2006, 09:43 AM
pixie_styx's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would be nervous doing someone's wedding as well; but I think you'll do a wonderful job! Sounds like a great opportunity to get your feet wet.
You can look online and find a bunch of checklists for the "must-have" wedding shots. Then you can go over them with the bride & groom to see what they really want. Also make sure they alot enough time for you to shot formal after the ceremony and before the reception.
Good luck...I can't wait to see the results!
July 13th, 2006, 10:43 AM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
Send a message via MSN to SugarNSpice Send a message via Yahoo to SugarNSpice
Quote:
What would you have done differently, anything?[/b]
Well, overall I feel like I was pretty prepared. I did a lot of planning for it because I was SOOO nervous and was so afraid of screwing up!
But if I had it to do over, the things I would have done differently would be:

~ I would have brought an assistant. It was hard to get everyone rounded up for pictures myself and I had to carry my equipment myself...which got in the way a lot.

~ I would have brought more batteries for my flash unit because I ran out while we were taking family pics before the ceremony and had to leave to go get more. But luckily the ceremony hadn't started yet and so it was okay and I didn't miss anything.

~ I would have gotten more pictures of the bride and groom by themselves!! I was so focused on getting all the family shots and all the "creative" shots they wanted that I completely forgot to get some with just them two by themselves at the altar!! I finally realized it when we were about to leave for the reception but by then the bride was so sick of taking pics that she said "Screw it!!" (literally lol)......

Really that's all I can think of that I would have changed. I think it went extremely well and I just am so thankful that I didn't run into any major problems because I probably would have freaked out!

Quote:
Did you get another lens or did you shoot the whole thing with your 50mm?[/b]
After forking over $500 for my flash unit, there's just no way I could have paid money to buy another lens. I would have loved to have a better one, but I just couldn't do that....DH would have killed me. But the 50mm worked out fine. I'd like to have a better one the next time I do a wedding, though.

Quote:
The close-ups up on stage, during the ceremony...were you as close as you look like you were? Did they notice you? Did you "clear" that with the bride ahead of time or just do it?[/b]
Well, sort of. One of the rules of the church was that I couldn't use flash during the actual ceremony. I could use it up until the bride and her father got up to the altar, then I had to stop. So all the pictures up until then are as the events were actually taking place and then all the ceremony shots you see were "re-created" after the ceremony. So while the ceremony was taking place, I was just sitting in the audience on the front row and then immediately after the ceremony, we went back in the church and re-created the ceremony so that I could capture the special moments like the unity candle lighting, the exchange of rings, the kiss, etc.

Anyway...If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I'm very glad I did the wedding it was wonderful experience and I learned a lot.
I spent a ton of time proofing and editing though! It took me about 2 weeks.

July 13th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks again girls, all great advice!!!

I would definatly try to do as many outdoor shots as they would allow, SOO much easier.

I have 2 links saved already of "must-have" lists, I know I will use those for sure.

Jamie ~ I dread the thought of proofing that many pics, I always, ALWAYS overshoot, no matter what it is, so I know this would be no different. Ugh!
I hear ya about the lens, there are so many "toys" I'd like to get too. Heehee! It looks like it did fine though!
So tell me, if you know, what is the no flash deal in churches??? I've been reading a lot about it but for the life of me can't figure out WHY so many of them won't allow it.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search