Wwyd?

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rmarie9509
  • 1 Post By IansMom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2012, 07:58 PM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
Sorry for those of you who already have given me support and information, I know you have already seen and read this post in different places.. .. I am trying to get as much feedback as possible..

It was brought to my attention last night that another photographer in NC has started working under the name "Nicole Lane Photography" I am "Nicola Lane Photography".. well her work speaks for itself if you look her up on FB..

My issue is one, her name is neither Nicole or Lane.. two, her work sucks, and three I am afraid of people looking me up and people always say Nicole instead of Nicola because well, its more common here..

I sent her a message via fb and she refuses to change her name.. she just shrugged it off with a "sorry".. well at the moment I am having a "cutest kid contest" on my fb.. so within 30mns of her reading my message she posted on her fb that she is having SURPRISE "cutest kid contest"..

I am having mixed reviews from people on sticking it out or changing my name.. to be honest I dont want to be associated with this unethical photographer, who refuses to return my email, or is not the least concerned with how similar our names are.. almost exact..

Would you change your name?? Its funny, this week I was filing for my LLC and I didnt because other things came up.. anyhow, apparently even if I file and get my LLC she can still have the domain name nicolelanephotography which she told me she has and will be live with a website this week..

Just what a need...
March 7th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Love My Boys ♥
Oh man...that's a tough situation. I would hate to have to do a name change because of some other jerk but at the same time i wouldn't want to be associated with possibly getting confused as being that jerky sucky photographer. Did you have any other names in mind? Would it cause any problems to do a name change?

March 7th, 2012, 08:29 PM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't change it. Chances are she won't be around long anyway. Now is probably a good time to get some marketing pieces out. Can you take out an ad in a paper or something like that?

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
March 7th, 2012, 08:49 PM
yes, I am looking into marketing more, but the thing is a lot of people mistake my name for nicole and not nicola!
March 8th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
That's tricky...

MrsLMB has got a point, odds are the other photographer won't be around for too long.

But you were there first, and I guess people know you by your name and changing it make be confusing?

If you are not super known yet, I would change my name. Like NL photography. IDK..

Mom to Maèva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

March 8th, 2012, 06:05 AM
ugh, whole situation just sucks!
March 8th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Matilda's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
imo i wouldn't.

yeah her work sucks. just reinforce clients that it's NicolA not nicole.

she wont be around for long, so let her do crap work for crappy clients.

amy clark Amy Clark Photography | Wisconsin, Green Bay, Appleton, Fox Cities, Milwaukee Wedding Photographer | International Wedding Photography and and amy clarke Amy Clarke Photography

and that is just an e difference
March 8th, 2012, 10:35 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
That does suck.

I think if it was me I would just launch a whole new marketing campaign with a new name because it sounds like people are having trouble with your current name already. So i would pick a really fun name that has nothing to do with your name only your style/personality/philosophy, or I would do an easier version of your name like Nic Lane, or just Lane Photography, or a play on the name like Memory Lane.
Understand I don't suggest making the change just because of her, but because it is hard for people to remember your name already. Then go crazy with new imagery/logo and make a print ad or flyer to let all your old customers know about the change.

Lastly if you can, block that crazy chick from seeing your facebook page so she can't try and steal all of your ideas.
IansMom likes this.

March 8th, 2012, 10:51 PM
IansMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What about Nicola Photography? I really love how NicolaLane works together, but I would hate to lose business to this shady photog who is obviously copying you.

www.kimculbert.com - kim culbert photography
capture life ~ capture moments ~ capture love

March 9th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
I think rmarie9509 has got a point...

Mom to Maèva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

March 9th, 2012, 07:55 AM
IansMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my son wants to send you some happy faces....

twoboys likes this.

www.kimculbert.com - kim culbert photography
capture life ~ capture moments ~ capture love

March 9th, 2012, 10:27 PM
adi&co.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarie9509 View Post
That does suck.

I think if it was me I would just launch a whole new marketing campaign with a new name because it sounds like people are having trouble with your current name already. So i would pick a really fun name that has nothing to do with your name only your style/personality/philosophy, or I would do an easier version of your name like Nic Lane, or just Lane Photography, or a play on the name like Memory Lane.
Understand I don't suggest making the change just because of her, but because it is hard for people to remember your name already. Then go crazy with new imagery/logo and make a print ad or flyer to let all your old customers know about the change.

Lastly if you can, block that crazy chick from seeing your facebook page so she can't try and steal all of your ideas.
I agree with this. DEF block her from your page too!
March 10th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
imo i wouldn't.

yeah her work sucks. just reinforce clients that it's NicolA not nicole.

she wont be around for long, so let her do crap work for crappy clients.

amy clark Amy Clark Photography | Wisconsin, Green Bay, Appleton, Fox Cities, Milwaukee Wedding Photographer | International Wedding Photography and and amy clarke Amy Clarke Photography

and that is just an e difference
My main problem is that we are BOTH in NC.. Thats the part that sucks! (And we both have the same type of photography, newborns, kiddos, family)

I decided to keep my name, I have worked too hard under that name and its what my clients all know me as.. I am not going to change MY name because of another photographer, Nicola Lane is very special to me and that is not going to change because of another photographer.

I worked really hard on the name/logo and and already have it on all my cards and formal contracts, website, domain.. So.. I am sticking with it..

Last edited by twoboys; March 10th, 2012 at 06:01 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search