First Paid job

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MrsLMB

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Audrey's Aunt Amanda's Avatar Not a mommy yet.
Send a message via ICQ to Audrey's Aunt Amanda Send a message via Yahoo to Audrey's Aunt Amanda
Hello everyone. I'm a novice in photography. I got first camera this past Christmas. All other photos where taken using my mom's or aunt's cameras. Mine is a Nikon CoolPix L105. I love it! I have not been able to put it down. I took my baby brother senior photos, which you will see below.
I have been kind kind of advertising my self as a new Professional photographer on my Facebook wall. This is basically what I have posted ...
"Anyone have any upcoming seniors that need Senior Photos taken? I'll take take them, your choice in location, all I ask is $50.00 for my services and gas money for anything more than 10 miles away from my home. You of course will order your own prints. For $25.00 more I will touch up all the photos. Take blemishes away, fix red eye. Anything in my ability. I will keep the digital originals, You will get digital copies. I'm trying to pad my portfolio. Check out my folder of Zachary ******* ******. I took those."

I had an old child hood friend contact me about taking her 5 year olds photos and her 5 month old nephews. The 5 year old I'm fine with. But a 5 month old is pretty much a stationary baby. I have no special lighting, nor any backgrounds. It would just be me and my Nikon. Any suggestions? Also is $50. too much for a first time job? Right now I'm taking photos pretty much out side as I have a lake of any studio items...

These are my favorites of my brother.

PLUMCOSM
Purple Plums, just one more helping
Just SOME of my favorite names!

March 12th, 2012, 06:08 PM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Most people don't charge for portfolio building, especially being so new at it. It is pretty non-traditional to be advertising as a professional with a point and shoot camera, most have a dslr and have years and years of practice under their belts.

I would learn more about composition and lighting and learn the complete ins and outs of your camera. You will feel much more confident about your work when you see yourself improving. Read some books and linger in message boards and ask a lot of questions! There are all levels of photographers here and everyone is here to help you learn!
MrsCalhoun and elocin like this.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
March 12th, 2012, 06:40 PM
adi&co.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Most people don't charge for portfolio building, especially being so new at it. It is pretty non-traditional to be advertising as a professional with a point and shoot camera, most have a dslr and have years and years of practice under their belts.

I would learn more about composition and lighting and learn the complete ins and outs of your camera. You will feel much more confident about your work when you see yourself improving. Read some books and linger in message boards and ask a lot of questions! There are all levels of photographers here and everyone is here to help you learn!

Ditto!

Professionals don't use point and shoot cameras so I wouldn't say you were a professional. I'd say you were portfolio building and I def. wouldn't charge until you have at least a DSLR!
March 12th, 2012, 06:55 PM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
I agree, if your charging for pictures, you should not e having "red eye" problems and such, I think like Leanne said it would be best for you to learn about lighting and composition and all the in's and out's of your camera first!

I think you certainly have the potential to become a photographer, it just takes a lot of practice and learning!

I also agree that most people who are pb'ing are willing to do free shoots! Just make sure before you get your name out there that the work that represents you is REALLY good because people will remember!

Thanks for sharing with us! Hope you stick around and we all get to know you better!!!
March 13th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
I agree with the others.

You cannot receive a first camera and claiming you're a professional after 3 months and no work and so little practice behind you.
Even if it's an artistic field, owning the main accessory is not enough to call you professional.

Like nobody will call themselves a professional architect just because they bought the drawing table and accessories 3 months ago and "played" with it, right?

You know, people go to school for about 2 years to get a diploma in photography and be able to call themselves professionals. Because there's a LOT to learn!

Fortunately, it's something that can be self-taught, like every other artistic field. But you cannot say you're a pro after only 3 months of playing with your camera.

Cause if being a pro photographer was as easy as just owning a good camera, everybody would do it and nobody would go to school in photography.

I bought my DSRL in April 2011.
Before that, I was on a Canon (bridge) for 3 years.
So not new to photography.

I started to do professional photoshoots to build a portfolio last August.
And I haven't charged yet for ANY photography work.

And they ALL include the photoshoot, and the lighting and tones edition in lightroom and photoshop.

I was thinking of charging maybe next year. (unless someone really wants to hire me..)

2 people already asked me to be photographer for their weddings.
I declined the offer, even if it was paid.
Why?
Because I don't think I could do a good enough job.
And I know I'm good!

Here's what I do : YukiPhoto :: Photography PortFolio
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yuki-...4487?sk=photos

Being here is a good first step!
We can help with the technique you need to know.

Stick around and you'll learn a lot and have lots of fun with us

Mom to Maèva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

March 13th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Send a message via ICQ to Audrey's Aunt Amanda Send a message via Yahoo to Audrey's Aunt Amanda
Okay so no charging. but what do I do with the 5 month old? He might be crawling so he maybe a little mobile. I'm in Michigan, we have had a very mild winter, but we still have leafless trees, and just gaunt landscaping. I use to work a Sears Portrait studio, which I know, no where near the same, but that's where I got the Photography bug and it has never left me. So I know everything they taught me, as far as poses and what not, but I tend to like more natural candid shots.

PLUMCOSM

March 13th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Also, I've been thinking of going to my local Community College and taking thier Photography program, but I'm trying to find out if my camera meets the requirements. These are the requirements. "Students must have full-time access to an adjustable camera capable of controlling shutter speeds, apertures and focus. Cameras fitting this description include advanced compact, bridge or digital single lens reflex cameras (DSLR)."

I know it's not a DSLR... It is shaped like one, it has that appendage that bumps out to make holding it more comfortable. But I can't find if it is an Advanced Compact or a Bridge. This is the camera I have... Amazon.com: Nikon L105 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 15x Optical Zoom - Black: Camera & Photo

PLUMCOSM

March 13th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
You have a bridge (pretty sure), so your camera is okay for the program!

And for the 5 months old.. well it depend what kind of shot the mom wants! Studio ones? or live ones?

Mom to Maèva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

March 13th, 2012, 08:14 AM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do not believe that your camera would be considered an advanced compact. I think you would need to have some manual settings on it. If you keep an eye out on craigslist you can find some good deals on used dslrs. Look for a Nikon d40 or d50...you should be able to find a used one of those for $200 or less.

As far as the 5 month old goes there really isn't much you can do other than have a nice background. Maybe use some baby blankets and even a bean bag might help getting the baby propped up and in a good position to photograph. Be sure to get up close as well as traditional shots. Take a look on google images and check out some other photographers work. That will give you some visual ideas.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com

« Hi | Photography | My boys »
Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search