how much do you charge??

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2012, 10:49 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
so i knwo im no where near ready for charging people for taking pictures yet....but i was just curious how much you guys do charge? and what the client gets...ie how many pictures, disc etc....

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

March 18th, 2012, 03:55 PM
adi&co.
I've not charged in forever. I've actually given up photography for others for the time being since DH is deploying and I'll have 3 small kids. When I start charging again, I'll charge $50 for a sitting fee. I'll give discs, but at $5 an image (maybe more, haven't decided on that) and then I'll have packages.
March 18th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
$100/hr I find people here respond to that better than "this is the session fee and this is the x fee and here is the y fee" They also don't like feeling trapped by time. I've been really busy since I started doing it this way and all my clients have said they like it better than other photographers.
March 18th, 2012, 05:13 PM
cool...gives me something to think bout as well...i've been thinking of finding someone to take family pictures of us this summer....

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*

March 18th, 2012, 06:15 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
I Don't charge either, but I know when Im looking into a photographer for my events I like a no fuss session fee without lots of confusing time limits and things. I also like to have the option of paying just the sitting fee and ordering prints and stuff separately I don't want to feel trapped into a package that I can't afford or that doesn't quite meet my needs.

March 18th, 2012, 09:32 PM
mom2baylee&levi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2baylee&levi Send a message via Yahoo to mom2baylee&levi
I dont have a session fee....just packages my digital option is the session disc and an image box with proofs for $300. My lowest print package is $200.

This is not where i want my prices to be.....but its on the middle - upper end of the market in my area so its where i am for now...atleast while i build up a client base

March 18th, 2012, 09:38 PM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont do a whole lot of shoots because I have no time and I am limited to weekends only but when someone asks me, I usually quote on an individual basis and it all depends on what I am shooting, where I am going and if I have to drag my props with me.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
March 18th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
Quote:
Originally Posted by .H.e.a.t.h.e.r. View Post
$100/hr I find people here respond to that better than "this is the session fee and this is the x fee and here is the y fee" They also don't like feeling trapped by time. I've been really busy since I started doing it this way and all my clients have said they like it better than other photographers.
Makes sense, what do they get for the $100 an hour though? Any prints or digital images with that price or do they have to do add on's?

Right now I am just doing packages, starting as low as $100 for a mini shoot and going upwards of $300 for the biggest non wedding package, each package includes digtial images, starting at 5 digital images for the smallest and up to 20 for the largest, prints are also offered with some of the higher packages. I'd like to make it even simplier though, I am doing certain amounts of times in my packages but not everyone needs an hour shoot so idk.

March 19th, 2012, 05:11 AM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
I usually do the same thing as Jo (mentioned above). I do run specials every so often though and I book out when I have specials.. I offer $150. for session and 10 digital images.. Then I show them a gallery with 25 images and if they want the whole gallery its another $150.. Usually they want ALL the images..

I provide a disc with high resolution images on it. The main thing is to get LOTS of great smiles and expressions and outfit changes so you have a GOOD amount of different looking pictures, and yes, they usually want them all.

I do offer that they can buy an individual digital image at $30. (after the 10) And if they want prints there is a minimum $50 print credit.

Heather, I would love to know what you offer for that too.. That sounds like a great way to do it!!
March 19th, 2012, 05:13 AM
thanks for all your input!! i would much rather go to someone....then to a photo studio...they were okay but i have never gotten WOW pictures for the price we paid :/ and heck the last time we had professional pictures taken was when elyse was just a baby!!! need some new ones!!

March 20th, 2012, 02:51 PM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
*lurking* I charge a lot. My site is in my siggy and my prices are listed on it. My view is that I want to work less and make more. By charging something like $100 for the session and disc, I'd have to get 13 clients to break even on what 1 client has no problem dropping money on (especially my newborns).

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

March 20th, 2012, 08:19 PM
IansMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a $100 session fee for 5 family members, and $20 per person after that. Then I have packages which start at $100 for prints only (10 4x6, 3 5x7, 1 8x10), up to $400 (20 4x6, 5 5x7, 3 8x10, an 11x14 gallery mount and 20 high res images on a disc.) If they want to add the whole session to the disc it's an extra $75. I'm still cheap in my area though... but I'm happy, and busy!

www.kimculbert.com - kim culbert photography
capture life ~ capture moments ~ capture love

March 25th, 2012, 08:00 AM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
I have a hard time charging more than some other photographers in my area who clearly take better pictures than I do at this time..

I will raise my prices accordingly as I become a more skilled photographer, so that people will always get fair pictures for the price I charge..

Last edited by twoboys; March 25th, 2012 at 08:11 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search