Getting more practice?

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mom2baylee&levi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2012, 05:45 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
I want to practice more with my studio stuff but i'm not too sure, outside of friends, how to go about this? Do i just post a link to my FB page on craigslist or the military craiglist page (bookoo) etc or what?

April 16th, 2012, 08:30 PM
adi&co.
I got some business cards when I was first starting out and I would go up to anybody with kids or a belly (since I dig kids and bellies the most) and gave them a card. I didn't hear back from many, but I did hear back from a few that gave me some great practice and ended up bringing me some paying customers as well.
April 16th, 2012, 10:51 PM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had more luck looking on craigslist for people seeking a cheap or free photographer. You can always place an ad but be sure to look at the ads too! If its on CL make sure you are dealing with a legit person and have a consult meeting before the shoot at starbucks or somewhere like that.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
April 17th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
Thanks!

Adi, i'm not that outgoing LOL. Brent mentioned making flyers and hanging them around and passing them out to people at his work etc.

April 17th, 2012, 03:20 PM
mom2baylee&levi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2baylee&levi Send a message via Yahoo to mom2baylee&levi
When I need models I usually post an ad on local facebook groups (I am on one for local moms....and a couple local business networking ones and a couple local "for sale" ones") I actually have a senior session coming up from one of these ads because i need some fresh senior photos for ads for senior photo season

April 17th, 2012, 03:21 PM
How much practice is needed btw? I still don't feel comfy charging people but DH keeps insisted i need to charge like 30$ or something. He keeps asking how much practice do i need and when will it be enough?

April 17th, 2012, 03:29 PM
mom2baylee&levi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2baylee&levi Send a message via Yahoo to mom2baylee&levi
I practiced until I was confident I could produce 20+ keeper photos EVERY time....and until I was comfortable enough bossing people around lol thats my biggest weakness....it's hard for me to take charge sometimes
IansMom and adi&co. like this.

April 17th, 2012, 05:33 PM
IansMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree about practicing until you feel comfortable getting at least 20 decent shots in a session. They don't have to be blow-your-mind awesome, but if you're expecting someone to pay, you should be able to give them around 20 decent shots from it.

I portfolio-built for about 6 months before starting to charge. I look back on my first paying customers photos and cringe, but I know that I at least had the basics down and they were happy with the outcome. They knew I was still learning, and my price reflected that. ($60 for a session with a CD of all the images).

www.kimculbert.com - kim culbert photography
capture life ~ capture moments ~ capture love

April 17th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I'm fine with bossing people around- i'm just pretty shy and usually forget ALL of my posing ideas, sigh! I think i do okay producing enough pics, maybe not 20, not sure, i'd have to go back and count but I always tell people that I'm happy to reshoot if i dont get what they want/ are looking for etc.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search