just some snapshots

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MrsLMB

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Regular
i LOVE photography. it's my hobby/passion. i'm not a photographer, and i don't use a fancy camera. i use my mom's panasonic dmc-fz18 and i don't know how to use aperture, so the natural blur is purely just lucky that i had the right focus. i don't press down on the shutter button all the way, i press it half way down, wait for the brackets to turn green, and then press the rest of the way down.

here's some of lexie's pictures. the first picture is sooc, second is edited.

here are some of bugs. first is sooc, second edited.

and these are some i took of bubba this sunday at the lake. i don't have very many of him because he isn't a very photogenic kid. he hates his picture being taken, so i snapped these when he wasn't looking. first is sooc, second edited.

Last edited by RollingInTheDeep; May 29th, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
May 29th, 2012, 06:27 PM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think you definitely have strengths in composition. My piece of advice would be to take it easy on the eye brightening...it is easy to get carried away with that and ends up looking unnatural. I don't mind your editing style though, they are very nice for snapshots!

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
May 29th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Regular
i'll keep that in mind. i don't mean for them to get so bright, i just try to make the color of their eyes stand out. i don't use photoshop, i actually use a program called photoscape and i brighten and deepen their eyes. when i'm editing the picture itself i raise the color, and then deepen it on high and if i need to, i deepen it again on medium. i do their eyes after i edit the whole picture.
May 29th, 2012, 08:27 PM
adi&co.
you should get photoshop! it's an amazing program! I agree with the eyes. you look like you have a good eye for things so keep plunking around! you're on the right road!
May 29th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Regular
thanks! is there a free version of it? i try to get around purchasing programs if i can. photoscape is free, which is one of the reasons i love it lol. i used to use photofiltre when i started playing around with graphics and stuff. i don't know how to do fancy graphics and stuff, but i can do simple things (like my signature) in gimp, which is what i used to use before photoscape.
May 30th, 2012, 07:37 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
very nice shots!! agree with the eyes...but i kinda like the extra pop haha...but i know it looks unnatural but its fun to do sometimes just in some snapshots!

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

May 30th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Regular
i think my problem with the eyes is that the white part is TOO white. i'm just scared to darken those spots and make them too dark. i'll definitely look into downloading photoshop, since that seems to be what all the other photographers use. there aren't any tips/tutorials for photoscape or gimp for editing photography, so i'll be looking into photoshop soon and hopefully i learn the right techniques for my photos through all the awesome tutorials that are on here thanks for your input, girls!
May 30th, 2012, 09:00 PM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Try to lighten the whites of the eyes with the rest of the face...the issue is that the skin around the eyes is too underexposed and whitening the whites makes it look unnatural. Your best bet would be to illuminate the face better and get some good catchlights. The 3rd one you posted is good...try using something as a reflector. You can buy cheap reflectors online or you can use a white piece of poster/foam board. Just set it at an angle to the face, play around with it and you will be amazed at how well it works. It gets rid of those shadows and lights up the eyes.

Next time just try brightening up the iris of the eye instead of the whites and brightening up the entire face to get the whites whiter. I hope that made sense.

You can download free trials of photoshop and lightroom. They are 30 day trials. I use both of them and they are great.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
May 30th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Regular
oh, i didn't mean the whites of their eyes, i meant the white spots in the irises. the reflections, i guess. i never brighten the whites because that makes it too bright. when the irises look too bright or unnatural after i edit them, i darken them to fix it up, but sometimes they still look weird. lexie's eyes are hazel, so in a lot of pictures that i do edit her eyes in, each eye is a different color lol. thanks for the lighting suggestion, i'll have to try it sometime. i usually wait until the sun's gone down a bit to do the shoots because the sun gets in their eyes and they're squinty, so i don't mess with lighting stuff, because i do all of that on my program.
May 31st, 2012, 07:57 PM
adi&co.
if you're serious about photography, you're going to want to get photoshop. one rule of thumb too is too do everything you can with your camera. think of photoshop (or whatev program) being the emergency room for pics. the less you have to do there, the better your pics are
June 1st, 2012, 12:45 AM
Regular
i'll keep that in mind. i definitely want to be a photographer. i don't know how to get aperture to focus right. when i use it, the pictures don't come out as clearly in the face as they do when i shoot with the ai option. another issue i have is that i usually do these shoots at my house so they're always in the same location and i feel like the pictures are all the same, because it's the same poses, same location, same everything. i do backdrops with my bedspread, but i feel like all of that gets too boring and people will stop liking the way they come out.
June 19th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I like the photos from over head. very nice
June 27th, 2012, 01:42 AM
very nice

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search