Really Interested

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2006, 11:11 PM
shanna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lately I've really been interested in getting into photography. It's always been a passion of mine. I love taking pictures and editing them. I just don't know where to start. I want to learn how to take good photos and then how to do more editing using PSP or PS (I've gotta buy PS). A dream of mine is to even get into this more as a career hobby and maybe do a few weddings or even special events for people locally to earn a little extra money. But how do I do this? Do I need a college degree? Where do I begin?
July 23rd, 2006, 11:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not a professional, but would love to be someday, I highly enjoy it as well.

I would definately say you don't have to have a degree, although I'm sure you would learn a TON while achieving it. {something I'd like to do, but very hard with our schedules}

What kind of camera do you currently have? You don't have to have a top of the line camera, but a decent one helps I think.
And just keep taking pics, pics and more pics...figure out what you might have done better, what you can do better next time, etc. Learn from your own mistakes!

This is all JMO of course and what I'm doing for the time being, just shooting away...I'm sure others will have some great advice for you!!!

ETA: to the board, btw, it's great to have you with us!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

</div>
July 24th, 2006, 02:21 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First of all WELCOME!!!

If you want to do weddings you'll need experience and a portfolio.

One way to do this is how I did and what I did was advertise on local wedding forums that you are wanting to gain experience as a wedding photographer and that you would do so many photos for them free just to gain the experience (I did 2 rolls at no cost to the people). I got one wedding doing that and another as a sole photographer and they just paid my costs (film, proccessing and petrol).
Also tell friends/family as they may know people that may want to help you out.
So far I've done 4 weddings (2 through a wedding forum, one through my sisters friends that knew someone getting married and my BIL. I have 2 for family this year and 2-3 for family next year).

Over all Ive done 3 solo and one as a second photographer (my first wedding)

Also research lots about wedding photography and make sure you have a really good camera and flash.

Hopefully that has been of some help.

July 24th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Super Mommy
Practice, practice practice. Pick the camera up and don't put it back down. LOL You don't even need a top of the line camera, I've seen some people do the most AMAZING things with a point and shoot. It always drives me crazy when people say, oh you must have a nice camera to get those shots, when it reality, it really is the photographer.

Learn what your camera can and can't do, and go from there. Pick up some good books, esp one about exposure, Bryan Peterson's Understanding EXposure is an awesome one to start with. Once you have the ins and outs, start portfolio building. And it doen'st have to be just weddings, but get as much practice as you can. And maybe see if you can do some "tagalongs" with a professional wedding photographer, not to get in their way or make money, but to watch, help, and get some practice without the pressure.

Good luck and welcome.

</div>
July 24th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
Welcome!

The other ladies said what I would suggest, I am also setting up a portfolio where I can show potential customers what work I have done, whether personal or professional shoots. Some of them I even have in color and B&W for contrast.

Hope you get lots of ideas from this board!

July 24th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
It always drives me crazy when people say, oh you must have a nice camera to get those shots, when it reality, it really is the photographer.[/b]
Ugh, ITA!!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

</div>
July 24th, 2006, 01:16 PM
shanna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the welcomes. I've been looking around here a lot the last few days. I love your photoshop challenges. I just downloaded the PS CS2 for 30 days to try it out. I work mainly in PSP. Thanks for the advice and stuff. I currently only have a Sony Cyber Shot 5.0 mega pixal digital camera. It does ok but I'd like to get something nicer later. My husband says maybe next year I can really try to get into this more and buy the equipment I need. I mostly want to do this as a hobby because I love digital editing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search