Newbie here!

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
DH bought me a Canon EOS 30D and I really want to learn to use it well. I have always been a point-and-shoot girl, but that seems like a crime with this camera! Where can I start to learn more about the basics of photography?

July 26th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Super Mommy
oh AWESOME Camera. Amber just gone one, so maybe she can give you some hints. I have the 20d, and they are close.

Read the manual. That is the most importat thing. My manual is my bible these days. LOL And then pick it up and don't put it back down.

What is your experience with exosure??? There are some great books out there, and one of my faves is "understanding exposure" by Bryan Peterson. He breaks down apertatures and makes it easy to understand.

Have fun, and I can't wait to start seeing pictures from you. That is an amazing camera and there is so much to learn with it.

</div>
July 26th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
oh AWESOME Camera. Amber just gone one, so maybe she can give you some hints. I have the 20d, and they are close.

Read the manual. That is the most importat thing. My manual is my bible these days. LOL And then pick it up and don't put it back down.

What is your experience with exosure??? There are some great books out there, and one of my faves is "understanding exposure" by Bryan Peterson. He breaks down apertatures and makes it easy to understand.

Have fun, and I can't wait to start seeing pictures from you. That is an amazing camera and there is so much to learn with it.[/b]
Exposure? none

Apertures? what is that?

I am a serious beginner!! I am thinking of taking some classes at my local college to learn more about the basics of photography. Do you think it would be worth my time, or coudl I self-teach through books and here?

July 26th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Super Mommy
Oh i would go for the classes myself. The more hands on you can get the better. I so wish we had something like that here, even though I am taking 3 photography classes at CKU in september.

But seriously, read your manual. It has SO much information in it. And practice practice practice. The one thing I will say is put it in the "creative settings" and not the green square. That way you can play with it , and be able to see what happens when you change the f-stop one way, or the ISO the other. You can learn alot just by playing.

And make sure you postlots of pics along the way. I LOVE looking at pictures, and there is so much to learn from eachother.

</div>
July 26th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey Lori, I'm glad you decided to come over!

I most of what Cassie said, I've got the book she referred too although I haven't had much time to get past the first few pages, I hear it's one of the best.
And also like she said practice, practice, practice...I know you have some beautiful subjects so there's no excuses. I'd like to take some classes too...I'm hoping soon. *fingers crossed*
I can't wait to ssee some pics!

Oh and SWEET camera btw, you lucky dog!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

</div>
July 26th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Ambesi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Lori! Glad you found this board. I just got my 30D on Monday. I had the 10D for almost three years. Now it's just my backup. You're going to love your camera. Don't get frustrated with the learning curve though. There is a LOT to learn about a manual camera, but once you figure it out your pictures improve so much!

I ditto Cassie. Read your manual and if you can get your hands on that book definitely read that. It's a good one. Practice, practic, practice. And definitely take those classes if you're able. It's so much easier to ask questions to someone who is there and can answer them.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing your pics!
July 26th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Annie's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi Lori, good to see you here. Good luck with your 30D. I've got the 300D and am still learning that lol
July 26th, 2006, 04:04 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WELCOME!! Youve got a great camera there. Read through your manual and have a play with it, I'd suggest taking a class as well if you are still not sure.

July 26th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! I've been shooting with the 10D for three years and I love it. I highly recommed anything by John Hedgcoe, but this book is one of my favorites of his The New Manual of Photography

Your manual will help you learn your camera settings, but a good foundation in the basics of technical photography and composition will help a lot. If you have access to a beginners class I would recommend that along with lots of practice, sharing your work and reading books & magazines.

July 27th, 2006, 12:35 PM
.x~KAT~x.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to .x~KAT~x.
welcome

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search