Critiques wanted!

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rylie's Mom Send a message via MSN to Rylie's Mom
I want everything you've got. Pose ideas, what i can do to get rid of the awful lighting...all of it!

Thanks everyone!!
July 27th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Ambesi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I want everything you've got. Pose ideas, what i can do to get rid of the awful lighting...all of it!

[/b]
What kind of camera are you using? Do you have control over depth-of-field?

I think one where she would be standing out on the tracks with the train out of focus in the background would be great. That would still keep the whole train in the picture, but you'd be able to fill the frame mostly with her. How it is now she kind of gets lost in the picture because the train is so large and overpowering.

Remember to keep the sun either to your side or back, but try not to put the subject with the sun behind them. On the first few there wouldn't have been lense glare if you were standing on the other side of the train and taking pictures from there.

Some other poses - laying on he belly with her feet up and her head on her hands, lying on her back on the deck while you climb up those rails and take the picture from above, leaning with her back against the train on the deck with her legs and feet propped up on whatever that front thing is (shot taken from the side or with you up on the deck). In the one I left here in your post, she could sit up top with her butt on the right side (where her elbow is) and her feet on the other side so her legs are bent and then her hands folded over her knees on top of one another with her head leaning on her arms. I hope that makes sense.
July 27th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
yeah, i understand what you mean. i was only using my kodak digital to kind of get a feel for how it will look and everything. once i get it good i will go out with my nikon and take better ones. since i got my digital i haven't used it much but money is so tight right now its just easier than getting film developed. i feel so dumb asking this but its been over a year: i want asmall aperature right?

I wanted to do some from the other side of the train but there is prickly weeds everywhere and i had shorts and flip flops on so i was jumping around as it was he he. thanks a lot!
July 27th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Amber gave you lots of great advice!

What time of the day did you shoot these? I would suggest going closer to dusk to avoid the harsh sun, for the sake of your pics as well as your Sis, it's hard not to squint.
I wouldn't center her quite so much, think about the rule of thirds.
And I would prefer to see her in a plain shirt, but that's strictly JMO, the writing is a little distracting.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

</div>
July 27th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Veteran
I agree about the shirt, the sun, and the dof. I only shoot either on an overcast day, or in open shade. Also, I would clone out the words on the train, unless it means something to you.
July 28th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
thanks for all the great suggestions ladies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search