Question about backdrops

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2006, 07:39 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What do you guys use & how do you hang it?

Im using just fabric for right now, but I cant find a really convenient, good way to hang it in our spare bedroom turned studio. Im just a rookie right now, so any tips are appreciated! I still havent even ordered my "real" digital - which Ill be doing soon, & I found a class that Ill be starting this week! YEAH! I take *decent* pics (much room for improvement) BUT I need to learn more about using the camera on fully manual & getting the exposure just right. Hopefully this class will help & then I can talk camera lingo with you gals lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 1st, 2006, 08:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rylie's Mom Send a message via MSN to Rylie's Mom
Right now i just do outdoor shots until i can get a decent space to do indoor. My apartment just won't work now, maybe someday. Anyways, i've been looking around for muslin backdrops on ebay and stuff. some of them you can get really cheap! otherwise you can make your own for probably even cheaper. You can buy is cheap at wal-mart or prob any craft store. if you have a michaels or local craft store sometimes they will have a 40% off or 50% off coupon too. Here is a link i saved if you're interested in that route(i got it from an earlier thread on this post so i don't take someone else's credit) it also shows an easy way to hang them too.
ETA: if you want a more proffessional look you can buy some decent priced hangers on ebay but the shipping is a little pricey.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/node/20
August 1st, 2006, 09:49 AM
Kangaroo510
I invested in an inexpensive backdrop stand. Look on ebay, they are pretty cheap there. It's very convenient to have because I can set up inside or outside.
August 1st, 2006, 02:23 PM
Super Mommy
My dh actually made me a backdrop stand for about 16 bucks. Plus it comes apart easily for storage.

And as far as background, I have a muslim one I bought from ebay, otherwise I use paper. I have some blue seamless paper on order at the moment, and can't wait to play with it.

</div>
August 1st, 2006, 02:45 PM
pixie_styx's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
My dh actually made me a backdrop stand for about 16 bucks. Plus it comes apart easily for storage.

And as far as background, I have a muslim one I bought from ebay, otherwise I use paper. I have some blue seamless paper on order at the moment, and can't wait to play with it.[/b]
$16?! That's one cheap build. Im curious now to see it. What did he build it with?
August 1st, 2006, 02:57 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks!

Ive found some on Ebay, but I guess Im overwhelmed now!

Some are cheap, and look like they only hold one backdrop. Others are fancy schmancy, seem to hold several, and Im not sure I know which one is really necessary.

????

Suggestions?

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 1st, 2006, 03:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rylie's Mom Send a message via MSN to Rylie's Mom
from what i've seen on ebay some are motorized and those MIGHT be the ones you've seen but i could also be wrong. You can put a few on one of the other ones though. A girl i know used clamps to hold them on. She had only 2 of them at the time so that could be why. but she had them both hanging and when she needed the other one she just flipped it back. it was alittle bit of a pain but it worked.
August 1st, 2006, 10:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a few pieces of non reflective material, almost like fleece, but it's NOT. I also have one muslin, but I'm not so sure it's usable anymore.

I have no special way of hanging them, just depends on what I'm shooting and in which room...I hope to get a stand of some sort soon though too.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

</div>
August 2nd, 2006, 06:32 AM
Super Mommy
PVC pipe, so itsvery light. So far I haven't had a problem with it being unstable. I just didn't want to pay for a stand when I don't use it THAT often, plus I am wanting to put my money in my lens' at the moment.

</div>
August 3rd, 2006, 07:05 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just used a blue blanket for some pics we did of the kids for christmas presents. I hung it on the entertainment center in the living room. If I decide to do the photography as more of a hobby than just dabbling, I'll see if dh can make me something too.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search