Do you get THAT feeling?

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2006, 03:00 PM
candacesoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone,

Do you all get totally excited when you snap a pic and look at the screen...and OMG!...You know you caught "something"!!!!! Sometimes you just know that you caught the essence of someone.

Since I'm pretty new to photography as a hobby, I'm just getting used to this feeling and man, is it addictive!

What I wonder is...can other people see it too? Or is it only because I know the subject?

Here's an example....

I took this pic Saturday. It's of my step-daughter (Chloe) and her mom, Stephanie. We were just hanging out by the pool in our backyard. (I know that sounds strange but DH's ex and I are good friends.)

I want to get the one printed out and frame it for her. What resolution or size should I have it for that? B&W or color? What tweaks should I do to it?

Thanks so much for any opinions,

August 7th, 2006, 03:37 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think the little girls face pops & does a "WOW" much more than the moms face. Hers seems more like a background lol.

Im sure others will have more tips - and maybe can even suggest some things you could do to make the mom stand out more. HOpefully they will.

If i were going to frame it, which I think, btw, would be AWESOME, Id probably go with an 8x10 matted & framed - black or silver maybe? (Or a 5x7 matted into an 8x10 frame, done somewhat like you have posted if that makes any sense).

BTW - thats awesome that you two get alone & can hang out & do stuff together. It would probably be a freezing cold day in HE!! before Id be able to do that with my stepson's mother lol. I wouldnt mind in theory, but shes given us pure he!! since day one, and when Ive tried to open the door for communication (Sending good pics of her son that ive taken, etc) its just turned into a night mare lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 7th, 2006, 08:18 PM
MnKelly77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MnKelly77
I'm anewbie myself.. but i think it is a GREAT picture, I can see why you would have gotten excited! Its great!

Thank you aprilmiracle for a BEAUTIFUL siggy!!!

<3
August 7th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh Candace, I think that's a great shot...the Mother will love it I'm sure!

The only thing that really caught my eye was the hot spot right above and between their heads...I would try and tweak that a bit, other then that, it looks great, great conversion and great comp, IMO.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

</div>
August 8th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Oh Candace, I think that's a great shot...the Mother will love it I'm sure!

The only thing that really caught my eye was the hot spot right above and between their heads...I would try and tweak that a bit, other then that, it looks great, great conversion and great comp, IMO.[/b]

Is the hot spot where it's "blown out"? (wow...I'm learning some new lingo! )

How would you tweak that? By adjusting what?

Thanks so much,

August 8th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Ambesi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that's a wonderful shot and I love your conversion. I agree with Dava about the hotspot, but instead of fixing I am going to suggest a tighter crop. For that reason and also for another reason. See how closely the crop is to your stepdaughter's chin? I think a tighter crop on the top to just below the hot spot would not only balance that out, but also give it an even more intimate feel. KWIM? It would also eliminate some of the background clutter. I hope I'm making sense. I think with the tighter crop it would be even better for a larger print like an 8x10. I'm attaching my example. I hope you don't mind. One more thing I tried is a more contrasty shot. I increased both the brightness and contrast. That is just a personal thing that I like. Not everyone likes the high-contrast images though. Let me know if you want me to take this down.

As far as THAT feeling, I know exactly what you are talking about. You're right, it is a rush when you pull up the shots on your screen and there's that ONE shot that IS that person. I love that feeling.
August 8th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks so much. I think it does look better with the tighter crop, more professional. I'm sure that Steph will love it when I get it done...even though she generally can't stand pics of herself.

Thanks for the help,

August 8th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Quote:
BTW - thats awesome that you two get alone & can hang out & do stuff together. It would probably be a freezing cold day in HE!! before Id be able to do that with my stepson's mother lol. I wouldnt mind in theory, but shes given us pure he!! since day one, and when Ive tried to open the door for communication (Sending good pics of her son that ive taken, etc) its just turned into a night mare lol.

Lala...[/b]
I know that we have a strange situation. We're pretty lucky though because it's good for the kids that we all get along. One of the reasons that I don't feel threatened by her (and this is kind of funny)...she's a lesbian now! So I don't worry about her hitting on DH!

Good for you for trying to be the better person concerning your stepsons mom. Even if she keeps causing problems, your stepson will know that you cared enough to try.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search