help

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2006, 02:35 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Hey Everyone... Me and my mom are wanting to start a little semi professional photography business.... we are wanting to know what camera you all would recommend, where to get proofs ordered from, any special websites to look at as far as props/lighting/etc? We are reading up on things, and I wanted to get advice from you all.... I talked to someone who recommended a canon d 200? but I'm not finding that, maybe he messed up the name? any suggestions are appreciated!!

October 21st, 2006, 04:33 PM
tabbymichelle's Avatar GO BUCKEYES!!! O-H-I-O!
Send a message via ICQ to tabbymichelle Send a message via MSN to tabbymichelle Send a message via Yahoo to tabbymichelle Send a message via Skype™ to tabbymichelle
First I want to say that I don't mean to sound discouraging so do think I am at all... but you have to consider that photography isn't something you can just jump into. It takes a lot of hard work and practice to perfect something that clients are going to want to purchase. A good camera isn't all it takes because you could own a million dollar camera and if you don't know how to use it it wouldn't matter. The photographer takes a good photo, the camera doesn't. However, if you already know how to do all of this, and are opening a "semi-pro business" then I would recommend the canon rebel xt as a starter. It's a great camera because it's light weight and is easy to pack up when your doing "on location" The camera you were referred to is the 20d it has 8.2 mp(if you shoot in raw.. fully manual) where as the xt has 8mp(if you shoot in raw..fully manual) They are both great cameras. Look to spend a lot of money because it takes a lot for a photography business, but if you're good at what you do, it will pay back.

Besides the camera, you're going to need lenses, backdrops and lighting. The good thing about "on location" is you can use nature as the backdrop and if you know how to react in outdoor lighting it's great. You just need to get a bunch of books on lighting and well photography all together.

mpix is a really great place for prints the prices are pretty nice too. The main way to find stuff is just buy photo magazines, and do a lot of research. You can learn a lot by looking at famous and amateur photography. Another thing is just have fun at what you're doing. Good luck!!!

Tabitha & Ryan; Married on Saturday, April 17, 2004 -TTC #1 for 7.5 years. Missing our Angels...

Dx with PCOS at age 14.
Miscarriage in June 2006
2 cycles of Clomid 50mg
1 cycle of Clomid 100mg resulting in miscarriage
Dx with Adenomyosis on 1/28/10
Clomid 150mg 4/30(day 3) - 5/4(day 5) Ultrasound on May 10th.
5/10 - Ultrasound showed 2 perfect follies! (15mm&17mm) Ovulation predicted within 6 days! Progesterone check ordered for 5/20.
5/27 - New round of Clomid started, no ultrasound this cycle, 2 more cycles planned on our own. If no bfp, onto next step!
6/27 - Round 3 Clomid 150mg started.
7/25 - AF Showed, starting final round of Clomid 150mg on CD3
8/21- AF Showed, In the process of finding a new RE
*Waiting to see our new RE

My Personal Links:

My Facebook My Chart Follow me on Twitter! My Personal Blog Tabby's Craft Corner
Pixel Perfect Photography(My Business) Pixel Perfect on Facebook Pixel Perfect on Twitter

October 21st, 2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the reply.... My mom has been taking photos for quite awhile, but just recently started thinking of doing it as more than a hobby, it would be a semi-pro setup, and mostly doing it for people around our area, like senior/sports/baby photos... we are going to be doing a lot of research and reading and want to get the camera soon so we can mess around with it a lot before actually doing anything important with it.... thanks for the help!! I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions in the future!

October 21st, 2006, 09:16 PM
Send a message via ICQ to tabbymichelle Send a message via MSN to tabbymichelle Send a message via Yahoo to tabbymichelle Send a message via Skype™ to tabbymichelle
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.... My mom has been taking photos for quite awhile, but just recently started thinking of doing it as more than a hobby, it would be a semi-pro setup, and mostly doing it for people around our area, like senior/sports/baby photos... we are going to be doing a lot of research and reading and want to get the camera soon so we can mess around with it a lot before actually doing anything important with it.... thanks for the help!! I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions in the future![/b]

you're welcome sweetie. I would be more than glad to offer any help. I have been doing it as a hobby for several years but have been charging for about 2 1/2 years now. I really hope you have fun doing it, because it's my passion! =)

Tabitha & Ryan; Married on Saturday, April 17, 2004 -TTC #1 for 7.5 years. Missing our Angels...

Dx with PCOS at age 14.
Miscarriage in June 2006
2 cycles of Clomid 50mg
5/10 - Ultrasound showed 2 perfect follies! (15mm&17mm) Ovulation predicted within 6 days! Progesterone check ordered for 5/20.
5/27 - New round of Clomid started, no ultrasound this cycle, 2 more cycles planned on our own. If no bfp, onto next step!

My Personal Links:

My Facebook My Chart Follow me on Twitter! My Personal Blog Tabby's Craft Corner
Pixel Perfect Photography(My Business) Pixel Perfect on Facebook Pixel Perfect on Twitter

October 23rd, 2006, 06:58 AM
MelissaW's Avatar Super Mommy
Start off in wedding photography! As a wedding photographer, you dont have to worry about setting up a studio, untill later on. You just have to travel alot. Yeah, mpix is a really great printing service!

October 23rd, 2006, 08:40 AM
I definately wouldn't start off in wedding photography. Even though it may be the cheaper route, it's a million times more stressful. Need I say Bridezilla? That would be like throwing yourself into a pack of hungry wolves.

Even in wedding photography you need lighting. You also have to know how to react in the event you aren't allowed to use flash. This happens in some places.

Portraiture photography is the best ie. seniors, children, engagements. You can do them on location in a beautiful outdoor setting this way you don't need lighting equipment and can get by with reflectors.

Dx with PCOS at age 14.
Miscarriage in June 2006
2 cycles of Clomid 50mg

My Personal Links:

October 23rd, 2006, 10:33 AM
Ambesi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the camera your friend was referring to was probably the Nikon D200. It's a good camera. I have a 30D.

A photography business can be a slow start. You have to do lots of portfolio building before you can actually put yourself out there and charge a good price. I've been doing this for about four years now and I am just now to the point where I feel comfortable raising my rates and charging as a professional. I just wanted to say this so you are aware that it isn't something you can just pick up. If you don't start out right the word of mouth will kill you.

I hope the best for you and your mom. Photography can be very competitive. I think it's a good idea to start with portrait photography. Event photography is the hardest IMHO. You only get one shot at it, you deal with demanding people, and the proofing takes so much time. With portrait photography if you have a bad session you can always offer a reshoot.

I recommend you visit a website: www.ilovephotography.com. The people on this JM forum are awesome, but this website moves faster and is a collection of literally thousands of portrait photographers, plus there are great resources for lighting, backdrops, and products.
October 23rd, 2006, 11:12 AM
Veteran
I agree with ilovephotography.com. That is where I learned a TON!
I agree with the others, start out on location, natural light. I am way to scared to start doing wedding photography, and I have been doing this for 3 years.
Books, tutorials, websites, critiques and photoshop is where you should start!
October 23rd, 2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks so much ladies!! My mom did one wedding shoot already, for a family member and it was on the beach and lighting wasn't much of a problem, but starting out that is only something we will do to help family out or something..... we are going to do senior pics and baby pics mostly, esp. at first... luckily I have a newborn for us to practice on!!!!we have an appt for a small business loan on Thursday, so the ball is rolling!

October 23rd, 2006, 01:06 PM
MelissaW's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
I definately wouldn't start off in wedding photography. Even though it may be the cheaper route, it's a million times more stressful. Need I say Bridezilla? That would be like throwing yourself into a pack of hungry wolves.

Even in wedding photography you need lighting. You also have to know how to react in the event you aren't allowed to use flash. This happens in some places.

Portraiture photography is the best ie. seniors, children, engagements. You can do them on location in a beautiful outdoor setting this way you don't need lighting equipment and can get by with reflectors.[/b]
I started off in wedding photography and I love it. Depends on your people skills i guess. Of course you need lighting in every picture, including wedding photography.

October 23rd, 2006, 04:25 PM
in my first post, I put 20d I failed to clarify that there is a nikon d200, but there is also a canon 20d so it just depends on what you like. I prefer canon but I buy sigma lenses. I really like the weight they have to them. I am not crazy about canon lenses.

Dx with PCOS at age 14.
Miscarriage in June 2006
2 cycles of Clomid 50mg

My Personal Links:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search