Need opinions on a new digital camera

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Mistletoes405
I want a new digital camera for christmas, but I don't know what to get. I originally wanted a Rebel XTi, but it's just too much money to spend on a camera when I already have a decent 35mm SLR...and it would just lead to spending more money on lenses and accesories and whatnot. So I've decided to go with a little less fancy regular old digital camera. Does anyone have any suggestion? I would like to either stick with Canon (I have an Elan IIe) or maybe try Kodak. I hate the Nikon that I have right now. I don't what to spend more than, say $350 on the camera. Any suggestions??
October 27th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Ambesi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Look into the Canon G5. It's a great camera. Not sure how much it is though.
October 27th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Mistletoes405
Quote:
Look into the Canon G5. It's a great camera. Not sure how much it is though.[/b]
It looks really nice, but it's like $450 (on sale). I just don't think I would use something so fancy to it's full potential, you know? I'm going to start taking photography classes in January, but right now I'm just a point and shoot kind of girl. But I do want something that is going to give me good quality photos and prints. I don't know...there are just so many to chose from!!!
October 27th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Ambesi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Look into the Canon G5. It's a great camera. Not sure how much it is though.[/b]
It looks really nice, but it's like $450 (on sale). I just don't think I would use something so fancy to it's full potential, you know? I'm going to start taking photography classes in January, but right now I'm just a point and shoot kind of girl. But I do want something that is going to give me good quality photos and prints. I don't know...there are just so many to chose from!!!
[/b]
What about the G4 and G3? Check on eBay.
October 27th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll be watching this thread, I am asking for one for X-mas too, but even $350.00 is a bit much. I really don't like the one I have now, it eats batteries like crazy and the pictures just don't come out the way I want them to most of the time.

It's just a little HP PS M415 - I gave up my old one for this one, and sometimes I really regret it.

October 27th, 2006, 01:15 PM
tabbymichelle's Avatar GO BUCKEYES!!! O-H-I-O!
Send a message via ICQ to tabbymichelle Send a message via MSN to tabbymichelle Send a message via Yahoo to tabbymichelle Send a message via Skype™ to tabbymichelle
the Canon PowerShot A640. It runs around 350-399 and it's a 10mp. It's a REALLY great camera. It's not an SLR, but it's a very high quality point and shoot. I have seen photos that it takes and they are very good. It's rated 7.6 out of 10. Also.. if you have a decent SLR already and they are bayonet lenses, it should work with a rebel xt. Even though it is film, there is really very little difference in film and digital lenses. I was told this by a sales person who talked me out of it when I was in the market for the rebel xt right after buying the t2. I bought the lens kit with the t2 and then dh bought me the rebel xt in Jan. I have the lens from the xt but use the others a lot more. I really don't care for the quality of the canon lenses. I prefer sigma. Anyway, if your lens would fit, you could probably get the rebel xt, body only. I know it's cheaper that way. Good luck in your search!

Tabitha & Ryan; Married on Saturday, April 17, 2004 -TTC #1 for 7.5 years. Missing our Angels...

Dx with PCOS at age 14.
Miscarriage in June 2006
2 cycles of Clomid 50mg
1 cycle of Clomid 100mg resulting in miscarriage
Dx with Adenomyosis on 1/28/10
Clomid 150mg 4/30(day 3) - 5/4(day 5) Ultrasound on May 10th.
5/10 - Ultrasound showed 2 perfect follies! (15mm&17mm) Ovulation predicted within 6 days! Progesterone check ordered for 5/20.
5/27 - New round of Clomid started, no ultrasound this cycle, 2 more cycles planned on our own. If no bfp, onto next step!
6/27 - Round 3 Clomid 150mg started.
7/25 - AF Showed, starting final round of Clomid 150mg on CD3
8/21- AF Showed, In the process of finding a new RE
*Waiting to see our new RE

My Personal Links:

My Facebook My Chart Follow me on Twitter! My Personal Blog Tabby's Craft Corner
Pixel Perfect Photography(My Business) Pixel Perfect on Facebook Pixel Perfect on Twitter

October 27th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Mistletoes405
Quote:
the Canon PowerShot A640. It runs around 350-399 and it's a 10mp. It's a REALLY great camera. It's not an SLR, but it's a very high quality point and shoot. I have seen photos that it takes and they are very good. It's rated 7.6 out of 10. Also.. if you have a decent SLR already and they are bayonet lenses, it should work with a rebel xt. Even though it is film, there is really very little difference in film and digital lenses. I was told this by a sales person who talked me out of it when I was in the market for the rebel xt right after buying the t2. I bought the lens kit with the t2 and then dh bought me the rebel xt in Jan. I have the lens from the xt but use the others a lot more. I really don't care for the quality of the canon lenses. I prefer sigma. Anyway, if your lens would fit, you could probably get the rebel xt, body only. I know it's cheaper that way. Good luck in your search![/b]
The Canon A640 is one of the ones I've been looking at. Maybe you can answer me this...what's so much better about the A640 than the A630 that is costs an extra hundred dollars?
October 30th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
the Canon PowerShot A640. It runs around 350-399 and it's a 10mp. It's a REALLY great camera. It's not an SLR, but it's a very high quality point and shoot. I have seen photos that it takes and they are very good. It's rated 7.6 out of 10. Also.. if you have a decent SLR already and they are bayonet lenses, it should work with a rebel xt. Even though it is film, there is really very little difference in film and digital lenses. I was told this by a sales person who talked me out of it when I was in the market for the rebel xt right after buying the t2. I bought the lens kit with the t2 and then dh bought me the rebel xt in Jan. I have the lens from the xt but use the others a lot more. I really don't care for the quality of the canon lenses. I prefer sigma. Anyway, if your lens would fit, you could probably get the rebel xt, body only. I know it's cheaper that way. Good luck in your search![/b]
The Canon A640 is one of the ones I've been looking at. Maybe you can answer me this...what's so much better about the A640 than the A630 that is costs an extra hundred dollars?
[/b]
Ooh I'm hoping for an answer on this one too. DH & I looked at both of these yesterday and I was wondering the same thing. I think the A630 was even less MP but the zoom was considerably higher. I was wonder which was the better choice. I always thought MP was the important factor in picture quality.

October 30th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Send a message via ICQ to tabbymichelle Send a message via MSN to tabbymichelle Send a message via Yahoo to tabbymichelle Send a message via Skype™ to tabbymichelle
Well here's the Technical details for comparison.

A640:

* 10-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 18 x 24-inch prints(although if you know what you're doing with resolution, you can make even bigger prints)
* 4x optical zoom; 2.5-inch vari-angle LCD display
* ISO range up to ISO 800 for less blur in low light while hand-holding
* 3:2 guide masks LCD to display 4 x 6-inch print size; 16:9 format option for still images
* Stores images on SD cards; powered by 4 AA-size batteries

Here's a link for more. http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digi...7899799-6268068

A630:
* 8-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 16 x 22-inch prints
* 4x optical zoom; 2.5-inch vari-angle LCD display
* ISO range up to ISO 800 for less blur in low light while hand-holding
* 3:2 guide masks LCD to display 4 x 6-inch print size; 16:9 format option for still images
* Stores images on SD cards; powered by 4 AA-size batteries

Link for more. http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digi...7899799-6268068

Tabitha & Ryan; Married on Saturday, April 17, 2004 -TTC #1 for 7.5 years. Missing our Angels...

Dx with PCOS at age 14.
Miscarriage in June 2006
2 cycles of Clomid 50mg
5/10 - Ultrasound showed 2 perfect follies! (15mm&17mm) Ovulation predicted within 6 days! Progesterone check ordered for 5/20.
5/27 - New round of Clomid started, no ultrasound this cycle, 2 more cycles planned on our own. If no bfp, onto next step!

My Personal Links:

My Facebook My Chart Follow me on Twitter! My Personal Blog Tabby's Craft Corner
Pixel Perfect Photography(My Business) Pixel Perfect on Facebook Pixel Perfect on Twitter

October 31st, 2006, 05:56 AM
Mistletoes405
So it's pretty much the megapixels? I can't see myself ever needing a print bigger than 11x14, so I would probably be better off sticking with the A630, huh?
October 31st, 2006, 07:48 AM
Paiton's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Paiton Send a message via Yahoo to Paiton
I got the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022509sonydsch5.asp

I like it alot and have seen different prices everywhere.
The ladies here would be better at telling you what good the camera is though. I am still learning to use it.
October 31st, 2006, 08:26 AM
Quote:
So it's pretty much the megapixels? I can't see myself ever needing a print bigger than 11x14, so I would probably be better off sticking with the A630, huh?[/b]
yeah, unless you're needing anything huge, the a630s great. I really love Canon.

Dx with PCOS at age 14.
Miscarriage in June 2006
2 cycles of Clomid 50mg

My Personal Links:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search