Getting Into Photography

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2006, 08:51 AM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi there! I'm a newbie around this forum, and I thought i'd post an introduce myself. I'm Ashley, wife to Paul and we have 3 kiddos, Bri 3, Colin 2, and Kylie 8 months. I really enjoy photography, and want to take it to the next level. Of course my main focus for pics are my beautiful babies. My in-laws just bought me a new camera for Christmas, they got me a Sony Cybershot with a 12 optical zoom. I think it's a pretty nice camera for taking pics of the kids, esp if they're in motion, which they are most of the time! I have a question though, how did you get good at taking pics? Do you just learn as you go along, are there certain tricks? Do you take classes? I'd really liek to take my photography skills to the next level but am not sure where and how to start! Thanks!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

December 2nd, 2006, 09:47 AM
stormy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to stormy Send a message via Yahoo to stormy
I would say practice and taking tons of pictures. I am by no means a professional but like you I love taking pictures.
December 2nd, 2006, 12:13 PM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The girls on this board have helped me A LOT, they are awesome!

One big thing is, try not to use your flash, I never even thought of not using my flash, until they told me. Pictures come out so much better that way!

December 2nd, 2006, 03:37 PM
tabbymichelle's Avatar GO BUCKEYES!!! O-H-I-O!
Send a message via ICQ to tabbymichelle Send a message via MSN to tabbymichelle Send a message via Yahoo to tabbymichelle Send a message via Skype™ to tabbymichelle
The first thing you need to do is read your manual, this will increase the quality of your photos dramatically. The next thing to do is just take pictures, hundreds and hundreds. You can learn a lot by reading and looking at photos. I go to my local library a lot and get books on photography and also books of famous photographers. You can learn so much by looking at a photo and trying to mock the photo as close as possible. Finally, you learn a lot by asking a lot of questions. That's what we're here for so if you have one, ask it =) I wish you lots of luck and can't wait to see photos!

Tabitha & Ryan; Married on Saturday, April 17, 2004 -TTC #1 for 7.5 years. Missing our Angels...

Dx with PCOS at age 14.
Miscarriage in June 2006
2 cycles of Clomid 50mg
1 cycle of Clomid 100mg resulting in miscarriage
Dx with Adenomyosis on 1/28/10
Clomid 150mg 4/30(day 3) - 5/4(day 5) Ultrasound on May 10th.
5/10 - Ultrasound showed 2 perfect follies! (15mm&17mm) Ovulation predicted within 6 days! Progesterone check ordered for 5/20.
5/27 - New round of Clomid started, no ultrasound this cycle, 2 more cycles planned on our own. If no bfp, onto next step!
6/27 - Round 3 Clomid 150mg started.
7/25 - AF Showed, starting final round of Clomid 150mg on CD3
8/21- AF Showed, In the process of finding a new RE
*Waiting to see our new RE

My Personal Links:

My Facebook My Chart Follow me on Twitter! My Personal Blog Tabby's Craft Corner
Pixel Perfect Photography(My Business) Pixel Perfect on Facebook Pixel Perfect on Twitter

December 2nd, 2006, 07:35 PM
Okay, I have a question already! How do I not use a flash if the lights are lower? I tried taking a few pics tonight of my 7 1/2 month old, and it was a darker room, and the pic came out super dark! Also, my camera has SOOOOO many features, I don't know how to use half of them!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,

December 3rd, 2006, 07:56 AM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I use the flash to just take snapshots. But if I want to get really good pictures of DS, I wait until day time. Last time I did pictures of him, I brought my muslin outside and did them. You can see how they came out, they are titled Davey's Christmas pictures.

December 3rd, 2006, 05:04 PM
IansMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Or, if you need to use your flash try toning it down with some tissue paper over it. (this might be a little difficult with the Cybershot flash, but play around with it!) It's the direct flash that really washes out pictures.

www.kimculbert.com - kim culbert photography
capture life ~ capture moments ~ capture love

December 3rd, 2006, 09:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would say just keep shooting away, the more you take hopefully the better you'll get...you can learn from your own mistakes. Ask any questions you have here, we'll help you the best we can.
If there are classes available close to where you are, those may be worth it too.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

</div>
December 4th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks ladies! The tissue paper over the flash sounds like a neat idea to try! I will give all your suggestions a try! Reading that manual is like reading French! I need a darn dictionary to figure out what they're talking about! LOL!

December 12th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Kilikina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Kilikina
Kind of new to photography - sort of. Have loved taking pictures all my life, and nature ones turn out nice, but it is the ppl shots indoors that I need help with. We can learn together. I will be taking classes and eventually getting my photography certificate from my local colloge, but by no means will I be any good if I don't practice by taking hundreds of photos. I never knew the whole flash thing - very interesting. Tried so many times taking pics of my ds at night and when using the flash they do come out more washed, but w/o the flash way too dark.

Kelly: What color tissue paper to put over the flash?

Thanks girls for some of your tips. I know I for sure will be asking lots of q's and I am sure that MammaAshley will be too. So thanks for your help/tips.

"Splish splash I was taking a bath!"

I design custom photo cards and websites. For more
information please check my 2 websites:
http://www.designsbykristina.ca
http://www.q1media.net
or send me an email: kduverna@q1business.net

December 12th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions! I am having a bit of a tough time with my camera, I keep getting large shadows at the bottom of my pics! DH keeps laughing at me b/c I have taken literally 600 pics of my kids over the last week trying to figure out the right lighting, which option to use, if I should use the flash, and if so WHICH flash to use! Maybe a class is a good idea, maybe next fall!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search