I have a decent camera now!!!

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH bought me the Digital Rebel XT. It was an early Christmas present, and I'm totally excited! I read the manual, but I'm looking for more. The manual explains what each function will do, but I have no idea which situations work best with which functions. I'm going to search back through this forum to see if I can find various tips and tricks, but any suggestions here would be appreciated too!

Are there any particular accessories that you would consider to be must-haves?
Are there any suggestions you would give to a newbie?
How beneficial would it be to take a photography course or two?

I'm assuming that it's considered somewhat amateurish to use the auto settings, but I'm not quite sure what else to do and when? There are just so many different settings, and I would really like to learn to take beautiful pictures like the ones I have seen here. I am experienced with Photoshop and am a graphics design artist, but there's only so much you can do with bad photography - I want good photography!
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
December 15th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
get one of the guide books definitely.

make sure you have a lens cleaning kit, an external flash like the 580x or 430x speedlight
the kit lens isnt great but it will do unless you can afford another lens.
alot of posters here like the 50mm lens.. I dont know since I dont have it .

I have the kit and a zoom lens. take your time on each setting to get a feel for it is what I'd recommend.

there is a camera shop here called Lens and Shutter which has "Wayne's Tips"on its website

www.lensandshutter.com

December 15th, 2006, 05:00 PM
pixie_styx's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How exciting....Just make sure to have lots of fun learning all the new settings. There are lots of books and websites for beginning...just try to get the basics down on how shutter speed, aperture and ISO settings work.. you can do a lot of that by experimenting with the AV and TV settings.
As far as gear....what you'll need will really depend on what type of shooting you mainly do. Id just start working on learning your camera and as you do youll find out what types of stuff you "need".
December 17th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks you guys, I will start with some books then. It is important to me to learn as much as I can by the time our first baby arrives in May, it will mean a lot to be able to take beautiful photos like the ones you guys have taken and shown here.
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
December 18th, 2006, 06:31 AM
dzine21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ok, use the automatic setting when you just want snapshots. But no matter when you use it you will love it. I got mine as an early gift too. My father is a pro and I've taken classes for my 35mm. This camera is a lot more high tech. I had my father go over some thing with me, but to tell you the truth, I'm still as lost as you. I can't wait for nice weather to go out and get some outdoors shots. I feel a tripod is a must. I'm hoping I get mine for my birthday and then I'm hoping to invest in another lens. try not to clean the lens very much-a good blow to remove dust is all you should need on most occations. Have fun and take lots of picture and just experiment-if you are anything like me, you'll learn from playing with it quicker than anyone telling how to use it.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search