New and questions

Forum: Photography

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Photography LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tanja
Hi all, my husband bought me a Nikon D40 for Christmas, he hasnt picked it up yet, but im worried that it may be too "complicated" for me to have the time to learn it. I was wondering if anyone here could either recommend this camera or tell me what might suit me? I have twins (14 months old) so I have NO time to "study" , I love taking pics I take about 50 -100 per day. Recently people that have seen our pics have been saying I should look into it as a profession. I never even considered that as I do it for fun, and didnt think I had a talent at it just beautiful subjects! Anyways, dh really wants me to have this camera but I would hate for it to be a waste. What do you think. And also if you do think I should accept it, is there an easy editing program you can recommend?

Thank in advance, I appreciate any feedback!

Tanja
December 18th, 2006, 10:21 AM
pixie_styx's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't directly comment on that specific camera, but if you take photos often and really enjoy it, I say go for it. Its always nice to have a camera you can grow into ya know. Just make sure that it has some standard programable modes, like auto everything, portrait and landscape settings. That way you don't have to read the manual, and if you decide you want to spend more time on it you can. JMO, although Im a photo-geek, and I'd never turn down shiny gear.
As far as an easy editing program, I think PSE5 is pretty spiffy. It has lots of built in tools that make everything pretty simple. (from b&w conversions, to auto-correction tools).
December 18th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Kelly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Tanja, here are a few sites about it...

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond40/

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/photoshop-...tal-camera.html

December 18th, 2006, 01:41 PM
stormy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to stormy Send a message via Yahoo to stormy
Go for it!
December 18th, 2006, 05:27 PM
IansMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm pretty sure that the D40 has the option of going fully automatic, so you can always just take pics in auto mode until you figure out how to use the features. It's probably similar to the D70, which I have, so if you have questions, please let me know. (I'm in BC too! Hope you fared the windstorms okay!)

www.kimculbert.com - kim culbert photography
capture life ~ capture moments ~ capture love

December 19th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tanja
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the D40 has the option of going fully automatic, so you can always just take pics in auto mode until you figure out how to use the features. It's probably similar to the D70, which I have, so if you have questions, please let me know. (I'm in BC too! Hope you fared the windstorms okay!)[/b]
Hi Kim, I have a million questions!!! Nate brought the camera home last night and Ive been playing ever since, I dont know what any of the settings do, and with the twins, Im having trouble studying the manual!
Basically, my biggest thing is - my mom is coming here for xmas dinner and my brother, his wife and my two nephews are coming from Alberta (I havent seen tnem since last xmas). I really want to be able to take some nice pics of the family while we are all together. So just the basics, but how do I figure out the vasics, lol. Ive got the auto setting and it works rather well, but when I did shots last night, they blurred and went very orange. Ugh, anyways - Im checking out your beautiful website!! Take care! Are you close to Chilliwack? Id love to have a family pic done with our dog too.
Here are a few of the first shots:

December 19th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would consider getting an external flash as well.

December 19th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Hi Kim, I have a million questions!!! Nate brought the camera home last night and Ive been playing ever since, I dont know what any of the settings do, and with the twins, Im having trouble studying the manual!
Basically, my biggest thing is - my mom is coming here for xmas dinner and my brother, his wife and my two nephews are coming from Alberta (I havent seen tnem since last xmas). I really want to be able to take some nice pics of the family while we are all together. So just the basics, but how do I figure out the vasics, lol. Ive got the auto setting and it works rather well, but when I did shots last night, they blurred and went very orange. Ugh, anyways - Im checking out your beautiful website!! Take care! Are you close to Chilliwack? Id love to have a family pic done with our dog too.[/b]
Hi! It looks like the D40 has a lot of auto modes... like portrait mode for taking family pictures. The most likely reason that the pictures that you took were blurry is that there wasn't enough light so the shutter had to be open longer and captured the shake in your hands. Try using the flash (which sometimes isn't the most flattering) or taking pictures near a window for more natural light. The orange-ness could be because of mixed light (some coming in a window and also some from a lamp) and so the camera doesn't know what colour to use as a white balance. Light has different temperatures, outside light is very blue and cool, whereas lamp lights are very warm and orange. But if these temperatures are mixed it can produce some crazy colours. Your camera lets you change the white balance manually as well, so you can just run through them all until you find one that looks normal. To do this (if your camera is like mine) you want to have the LCD screen turned off and hold down the WB button and rotate the dial on the top of the camera. There will be a picture of a light bulb, a fluorescent light, a sun (for outside sunny), flash, cloudy, and a house, for inside.
If you can get a tripod that will help with the camera shake when taking pictures, and it will allow you to take a family portrait with everyone (including you!), using the timer.

You can email me at kimbalina@hotmail.com if you have questions and I will try to get back to you... we are leaving on holidays on Friday though! I am in Burnaby right now... enjoying the rain. hahahha
Have a great night!

PS- your family and dog are very cute!

December 19th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Not sure about that particular camera either, but I too wouldn't say no, heehee! If you love taking pics, got for it!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

</div>
December 19th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think in the summer those of us who are from BC should meet up and take some pictures somewhere pretty.

December 20th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Quote:
I think in the summer those of us who are from BC should meet up and take some pictures somewhere pretty.[/b]

That would be fun! I'm interested!

December 22nd, 2006, 12:37 AM
Annie's Avatar Super Mommy
Congratulations on the D40 - Never say no to a decent camera lol.

When I first took the step and went from a digital bridge camera to a DSLR I used auto all the time. Then I went for the AV mode which is an aperture priority. That way I got the depth of field I wanted (foreground in focus, background out of focus) and played with that. I'm by no means an expert, but seem to get the results I want most of the time.

I still haven't played with any of the advanced features yet, but I'm learning all the time.

I'm not very good at portrait photography and tend to stick to macro , landscape and a bit of motorsport photography.

Good luck with your new camera

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search