Our appt w/the Genetic Counselor

Forum: Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
First I have to say that this is the first dr that I have ever been to that has been prepared when we arrived. She had read through our history and already had documented what she thought we should do. It was a great feeling that she had taken the time to read thru everything.

We went thru all of our history and family history on both sides. FYI for all....I am the only women on either side of the family that has ever had issues w/staying pg. Nice feeling, huh.

She talked about the mismatched chromosome issues that we may have and other blood clotting disorder tests that she would like to run.

My regular OB had given us the results of the genetic testing done on our baby after the D&C. She told us that we had a genetically normal female. Ok...so everything was good, right?? Not necessarily....If you read farther in the report it stated that they could not rule out that they tested me vs tested the baby. So, either I am a genetically normal female or the baby was. Based upon this, the counselor wanted to do further testing on Steve and I so that we knew for sure that our chromosomes were ok.

So...here are the tests that they are going to run...

Chromosome analysis (both DH and I, $800/person)
Protein C activity
Protein S activity
Prothrombin Gene Mutation
Lupus anticoagulant

The last 4 are for blood clotting disorders. I called our insurance company yesterday and all have been approved except the Prothrombin test. They need a diagnosis code before they will approve. So, I have to email our counselor today for the code.

We should be getting the blood drawn within the next week and then it will take 4-6 weeks to get all the results back. If these do not show anything, we just keep trying. If we again m/c, we test the baby again. It is all in God's hands.

I am not sure how I feel about all this. On one hand I am glad for futher testing but I am not sure if they will find anything and then where will I be? DH and I are still not sure if we will ever TTC again....that is a decision that we will not make any time soon.

I had to go to DH's nephew's baptism a couple of weeks ago....I didn't handle it very well. I was holding my nephew afterwards and three of the in-law's were staring at me. Then they commented that they could tell that I was a Mom because of the way that I was holding Tyler and comforting him. It about broke my heart.....Wondering if I would ever get the chance to be a Mom to a newborn again. Maybe someday....

On a brighter note....Sydnee is the joy of our lives!!! Watching her grow everyday, mentally, intellectually and in every way is the best feeling in the world. She is discovering playing outside and LOVES IT!!! I just wish this Michigan weather would co-operate a little more. WARM UP PLEASE!!!! We want to be outside. DH and I are looking for a playset for Sydnee. Something w/a swing and a slide. I would really like a wood structure instead of a metal one, and of course those are more expensive, but will last a lot longer!!! We will keep looking!!!!

So, now that this is a novel, thanks for reading. I will keep you all posted on how we are doing.

Stella Rae - May 22, 2009, 7lb 3oz, 20in and 4 weeks early!!!

April 15th, 2008, 08:13 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, I'm way impressed with your new doc! How refreshing to have a doc who's not only prepared, but who has a plan ready when you get there. I'm glad you're getting some tests done. Whether or not they find a problem, at least you'll know you did all you could in that direction and maybe it will give you some closure or, even better, a plan of attack.

As for whether or not to ttc again, you know that's a personal decision. Everyone has different reasons for trying again or choosing to stop and either is OK. You have to do what's best for you and your family.

I'm glad Sydnee is enjoying outside play time! It's so fun to watch them explore their new world. The playset sounds nice. We got a good wooden playset from ToysRUs and they have some that aren't too horribly expensive (~$300).
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
April 17th, 2008, 09:44 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so glad your appt went well. It sounds like you have found a great Dr. I know it is scary thinking you may not find an answer - but try not to worry about that yet. The truth is (and I would have to do some digging to find it) that you have a better chance of carrying your next pg to term if you are NOT Dx with anything than if they run all the tests & find an answer. I believe the overall success rate if you can stick out all the heartache is 85% - Dx or not. The 15% that don't have a baby are a mixed bag of reasons, including quitting TTC or deciding to adopt, etc....so it is NOT that 15% are not ever able, but a good chunk of those stop trying for various reasons.

As far as TTC - you will have to decide that in your own time. I never did decide to TTC again - I just got pg with DS & he ended up being our miracle. I am thankful every day that even though we were preventing he snuck through!

I am glad you are enjoying some outdoor time. I know Michigan is a bear - but it's been good for a few days now & hopefully you are enjoying it. I know we are. I live sorta near Lansing area - we should hook up for a coffee sometime! (unless you live in the UP & if so - forget it...there isn't enough caffeine or creamy latte goodness that would get me to drive that far this summer or to pay $4 a gallon to do it! )

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 18th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Cripes Beck!!! We live very close together. I am about an hour North of Lansing. My sister and her family live in Potterville/Charlotte and I come down there at least every two weeks to attend some type of sporting event for the kids, right now we are in baseball/softball and track season.

It would be great to get together with you!!! Have a little playdate with Sydnee and Jonah!!! PM me if you would like!!! I would love to go for coffee....it is one of my huge downfalls!!!! Even when I was pg, I couldn't stop. Although I do switch to decaf, blech, Starbucks is the only good decaf if you ask me!!!

Stella Rae - May 22, 2009, 7lb 3oz, 20in and 4 weeks early!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search