Recurrent Miscarriages..HCG Levels Normal?

Forum: Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Regular
Hi everyone! I am new here, and am hoping someone has been in a similar situation & may be able to put my mind at ease!

My husband & I have had 3 miscarriages in the past (no successful pregnancies). After my 2nd miscarriage I was diagnosed with MTHFR mutation, and took Lovenox injections during my 3rd pregnancy. I have never made it past 10 weeks in any of my past pregnancies. For my 1st miscarriage, I didn't know I was pregnant until I'd already begun to miscarry (about 5 1/2 weeks). For the 2nd two miscarriages, I made it to 9 1/2 and 8 weeks respectively, but the heartbeat rate was never at a normal rate.

My question is, I found out I was pregnant again last week...My last period was on 8/19. They immediately began monitoring my HCG levels, of course. For this pregnancy, I am now taking my prenatal vitamin (of course), along with supplements of B12, B6, and folic acid daily. I also take a baby aspirin daily, as well as 200 mg of progesterone (my progesterone levels were excellent, but they wanted me to take it anyway as a precaution). I am also taking 30mg Lovenox injections daily.

On Monday morning my level was 260, and Friday morning had only risen to 866. This didn't seem like enough of a rise to me, and the nurse wouldn't really comment either way. They are planning to do an ultrasound on Monday, but I can't help but be concerned because I expected much more of a rise in my HCG level. They have never really monitored my HCG level closely before, so I don't know what it has been in the past.

Does anyone have any insight as to how much the HCG levels are supposed to rise normally??
September 27th, 2008, 02:45 PM
miraceti's Avatar Veteran
First of all congratulation on your pregnancy.
I am very sorry for your losses in the past.
Therapy you are now on for MTHFR mutation looks good to me.

For HCG levels look here:
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/duringpre.../hcglevels.html

" - In a bout 85% of normal pregnancies, the hCG level will double every 48 - 72 hours. As you get further along in pregnancy and the hCG level gets higher, the time it takes to double can increase to about every 96 hours.
- Caution must be used in making too much of hCG numbers. A normal pregnancy may have low hCG levels and result in a perfectly healthy baby. The results from an ultrasound after 5 - 6 weeks gestation are much more accurate than using hCG numbers. "

Wish you all the best!

September 27th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
They sound okay to me ... tons of T&Ps!!

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

September 28th, 2008, 12:20 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am very sorry for all of your losses. I have to agree with Miraceti on this one - an u/s is a much better indicator of a healthy pg than hCG numbers. They are supposed to double in 48-72 hrs - so those numbers also don't look bad to me at all. I would wait on worrying (about that anyway) until you have more data. It really is still too early to tell. I totally understand your worry though. Why don't you try posting in the pg subforum too for extra support - we all know how hard each pg is when you have had so many losses.

Much love & glad you joined us!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 28th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to BabyBird
You sound just like me! I am heterozygous for MTHFR and do Lovenox, b6, b12, and baby aspirin too. I have also had 3 miscarriages but I didn't get diagnosed with the MTHFR until after the third. I am still trying to get pg again so I still don't know if the treatment will work. Your numbers look ok to me. An ultrasound will be a better indicator though. Unfortunately after Recurrent loss the first few weeks of pregnancy are filled with worry and fear and you just have to wait it out. I know it is hard but you are doing everything you should be doing so try to take care of yourself and not worry. I know easier said than done! Keep us updated!
October 1st, 2008, 09:35 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really don't have anything helpful to add, as the ladies before me have already given you great information. Praying for you that this one sticks. I understand how nerve-wracking the first trimester is. Hang in there and if you haven't already, join the ladies in our Pregnant after RL subforum!
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
October 4th, 2008, 08:53 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just thinking about you and wondering how your levels were for your latest hcg tests. T&P

October 4th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I hope things are going well for you

October 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I hope everything is going ok, please update us as soon as you can

October 14th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
Any update?

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

October 17th, 2008, 01:58 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
Those numbers sound ok to me. Especially with your history, hcg levels wouldn't be my concern. Wait for the u/s.

Your background sounds a little like mine - 4 miscarriages here, MTHFR (are you taking extra folic acid and B-complex vitamins?), lovenox etc. I know it is a tough road. Hugs!! For us, it turned out that the MTHFR was one of many issues I had, and our biggest problem was my egg quality (determined though presence of anti-ovarian antibodies, also a karyotype from our 3rd m/c). So we turned to PGD.

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

October 27th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Regular
Thanks everyone...I posted an update today in another post called "4th Miscarriage". Ultrasound today is not good, baby's heartbeat is very very slow. They think I will miscarry this week. I am basically just numb right now...Thanks for your thoughts & prayers!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search