Update to 4th Miscarriage

Forum: Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2008, 04:35 AM
Regular
***Update***

Thanks everyone, again, for the support. I think after this loss, more than ever before, I am ready to try again. It is just so sad to me, to see DH with our friend's kids and he is absolutely WONDERFUL with them. He would make such an excellent daddy.

Anyhow, I wanted to give you all an update. I had my D&C yesterday. Things went okay...almost had an emotional breakdown in the waiting room. We waited over an hour from checkin until they were ready to call me back to get ready for procedure. In this time there were at least 7 mothers with infants or very small children in the waiting room. One very pregnant woman. The breaking point was when the happy parents of a baby going home from the hospital brought the baby & sat it right beside us to get the carseat ready. DH had to go ask if we could be moved to another waiting room. It was like being in hell.

As for the procedure itself, I had double the bleeding of what the dr considered "normal". Was very, very crampy and woozy coming home, I'm guessing from all the extra blood loss. They are sending everything off for chromosomal karyotyping, so we will have those results back in about 3 weeks.

I do think this was the "roughest" D&C thus far...this is my 3rd D&C, and the other two were fairly painless except for some mild cramping on the day of the procedure, and the emotional stress of course. This time has been much worse. I am having more cramping, and have been EXTREMELY sore in my lower abdominal area. It concerns me a little, because I've never had this soreness before. Every time I move it feels like I've just done a whole days worth of sit-ups or something. DH is convinced it's because the dr was "rougher" this time...my ob/gyn has always done the procedures in the past (female), but the fertility doc did this procedure and he is male. Lol...maybe he's right?

Anyhow, just wanted to give you all an update....has anyone else been sore like this after a D&C before?
October 31st, 2008, 12:30 PM
miraceti's Avatar Veteran
Hugs!
October 31st, 2008, 08:54 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
((((huge hugs)))) I had some bad cramping with one of mine. But I agree, it sounds like it could be related to the roughness of the doctor and the blood loss. With my last d&c, the pain wasn't "that" bad. But I woke up from the surgery absolutely sobbing. I grieved even while under the anesthesia.

I am so so sorry for your loss. (((((hugs))))))

November 1st, 2008, 02:33 PM
starrsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My D&C was awful!! I felt like I had been knifed all the way up through my ribs. I didn't know the doctor who did the procedure. I had been seeing a midwife and she was not qualified to do it. I do have to admit that I usually have some pain even with Pap smears. I'm not very big and my usual doctors know to use the smaller speculum (sp?) that they use for teenages. This guy didn't ask and didn't care that I told him that it was really hurting me.

This doctor had no sympathy and no gentle touch. Everything was very rough...I had no anethesia (just local cream on my cervix) and I screamed and cried through the whole thing. I felt shooting pain the whole time. Afterwards, I was in a lot of pain....not cramping pain but pain like I had been really roughed up down there.

I could just go on and on about this guy. My hubby was there the whole time and he felt really terrible for me and started crying himself. He knows my pain tolerance is decently high and I wouldn't cry if it didn't hurt. Also, after they were done, they left the jars of tissue just sitting there in the room with us while I was supposed to be getting dressed. It's such a tiny room and we couldn't help but notice it.

It's been 6 days since mine and I'm finally feeling a little better...just mild cramps. I hope you feel better in a few days too....I will be thinking about you.

Missing 2 little beans (Aug 07, Oct 08)
Blog (Running with Emmett)

November 2nd, 2008, 08:31 AM
Regular
Oh my, I am so so sorry that you had to go through that! I can't imagine them being so heartless...at least my dr. was somewhat caring after the fact. I ended up going back in on Friday to have him check me because I'd had so much blood loss. He said that during my D&C I lost more blood than most women do during a c-section. He put me on iron & vit C, I've just been easily dizzy the past few days. The soreness has finally gotten a little better...he said that he had to massage my uterus to make me stop bleeding during the procedure, and probably bruised me. So I know it's just the roughness now, at least.

It did make me angry though, that he told my husband that he thought we needed to wait until March or April to start trying again because he felt like I wasn't grieving properly. Because I didn't burst into am emotional fit there in his office?! I am not a very open person...I grieve alone, in my own way. It really upset me that he thinks I'm not ready to start trying again because I'm not an emotional basketcase. I've been through this...I've been through every range of emotions imaginable. If anything, I am now more determined than ever to have a baby. Oh, I could go on.

Anyhow, I am sorry for your loss, and hope that your healing is as smooth & quick as possible. I'll be thinking of you as well

Quote:
My D&C was awful!! I felt like I had been knifed all the way up through my ribs. I didn't know the doctor who did the procedure. I had been seeing a midwife and she was not qualified to do it. I do have to admit that I usually have some pain even with Pap smears. I'm not very big and my usual doctors know to use the smaller speculum (sp?) that they use for teenages. This guy didn't ask and didn't care that I told him that it was really hurting me.

This doctor had no sympathy and no gentle touch. Everything was very rough...I had no anethesia (just local cream on my cervix) and I screamed and cried through the whole thing. I felt shooting pain the whole time. Afterwards, I was in a lot of pain....not cramping pain but pain like I had been really roughed up down there.

I could just go on and on about this guy. My hubby was there the whole time and he felt really terrible for me and started crying himself. He knows my pain tolerance is decently high and I wouldn't cry if it didn't hurt. Also, after they were done, they left the jars of tissue just sitting there in the room with us while I was supposed to be getting dressed. It's such a tiny room and we couldn't help but notice it.

It's been 6 days since mine and I'm finally feeling a little better...just mild cramps. I hope you feel better in a few days too....I will be thinking about you.[/b]
November 8th, 2008, 06:32 AM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
These D&C stories are unbelievable! Seriously, these doctors should be reported! Isn't it enough you have to endure a loss, now you have to have a doctor who doesn't care put you in physical agony too.

I do think you should call in about the pain. Just in case. You've had other D&Cs, this one was different, I would explain. Lots of hugs to you. My D&C experience was very different, but it was my fertility OB who did the procedure & I was under conscious sedation. Everyone knew it was my 3rd loss at the time and were very sympathetic, I couldn't have had a more caring staff. One of the nurse's grandfather had just passed, and he said "I know my grandfather is looking out for your little baby angel in Heaven" and I thought that was the sweetest thing to say. I told him, my baby was very lucky to already have a guardian angel!

Lots of thoughts & prayers to both you ladies.

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search