Question

Forum: Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Veteran
Okay, so I've never been in this board but I thought maybe someone had this experience. I have had 2 miscarriages, and a chemical. And currently am supposedly in my third. I went in for an ultrasound yesterday, the 17th and they saw the yolk sac, gestational sac, fetal pole, and couldn't find a heartbeat. Now, I am not holding out hope for this pregnancy, so don't worry about hurting my feelings any, but I'm scheduled for a d&c on Thursday. Should I hold off on the D&C and get another ultrasound. Is there a chance that they missed the heartbeat? Oh and I should add my uterus was measuring right on for 10 weeks, which I should've been, and the fetus or whatever it is considered was measuring around the 9 week mark. I am just curious cause I've been hearing all of these stories of women not seeing a heartbeat for a long time on ultrasounds etc. I also have a retroverted uterus which supposedly can be misdiagnosed a lot. I just had a D&C in June for another missed miscarriage and it just seems unlikely to happen again. Though I know it can, and I don't want to jump into a decision that I shouldn't so quickly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
November 18th, 2008, 06:18 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice, but I did want to welcome you to the group. We have a great group of ladies here. Feel free to make yourself at home. Hopefully, the other ladies will be more helpful here.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
November 18th, 2008, 06:26 PM
starrsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so unfair. Lots of Hugs!

Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I was 10 weeks too...fetus looked 9 1/2 weeks and no heartbeat. I had a D&C 5 days later. They checked me on 2 different ultrasound machines...I didn't have to be a tech to know there was no heartbeat. Did you have a good ultrasound earlier? I saw my baby's heartbeat at 7 weeks so when I saw the ultrasound at 10 weeks, I knew something was wrong and was comfortable with my decision for the D&C.

If you are even questioning a little, I would request an ultrasound right before they do the D&C on Thursday. They should be able to tell if there was any more growth and would be another look for a heartbeat. I don't know about all the 'stories'...I had heard them too. The things I do know is that ultrasounds machines are very advanced these days. Mine had color and they showed blood flow in everything but my baby. Again, I could see the problem before they even told me.

Again, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Please keep us posted on this board and we wish you the best.

Missing 2 little beans (Aug 07, Oct 08)
Blog (Running with Emmett)

November 18th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Veteran
Thanks ladies. To answer your question, no I hadn't had a previous ultrasound. I was supposed to have an earlier one but the military doctors all pretty much tell you they are going to give you extra care, but when it comes down to it they don't. At least this has always been my experience with them. The ultrasound was a transvaginal but it was pretty old I'm guessing. Either way, I am pretty sure they are right, but my husband hasn't been convinced completely and he is pretty adamant about me requesting another ultrasound just in case. I would just do it naturally but I have already had a natural miscarriage and it was a horrible experience and the doctors want to send off the fetal tissue for testing this time as well, so another D&C would be easiest. Thanks for all your answers. I guess I'm going to just request another one before the D&C and see if there is any growth or anything going on.
November 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
(((hugs))))

I think that is a good decision. It will put your mind at ease, so there will never be that question or doubt. Praying for you.

November 19th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry you have to join us but welcome. I can honestly say that with my last pg we saw a yolk sac, but no heartbeat and no fetal pole. We decided to wait and have another u/s before going ahead with the D&C and it's a good thing because the next week we had a heart beat and I now have a 2 year old. I was a bit earlier than you are now but nature is a crazy thing and we will never know all it's secrets. It may be hiding. I think you need to do what you feel comfortable with and if another u/s gives you reassurance then that is what you should do. Good luck and keep us posted.

visit my blog Rhondas random thoughts
November 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Veteran
Yeah, I just didn't really think about it at first, I just thought automatically, yes I want the d&c but then when I thought about it, I was thinking maybe I should make sure. Though I am 99 percent positive it will not show a live baby, I just have to make sure before I make that decision. We did see a fetal pole though and everything. I have just heard about all these women with tipped uteruses getting results like that and finding out they were wrong. SO for my own peace of mind I'm getting another one tomorrow before the surgery. Though I've been cramping these last few days so I figure that must be a sign I'm miscarrying. Thanks everyone though. If anything changes I'll let you know!!
November 19th, 2008, 02:45 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will keep you & your bean in my thoughts & prayers. Please feel welcome to join us here for support, understanding & information. We all have been in your situation (or a similar one) and do know how difficult it is. Please keep us updated. Much love~

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search