City of HOPE - news on Joey

Forum: Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2010, 05:18 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
We are home from City of Hope and what a wonderful and exhausting day today has been.

Driving on the freeway, when City of Hope came into view my eyes welled up with tears and my HOPE was once again restored. I knew that we were exactly where we were meant to be.

Pulling in, the sight was breathtaking. Everywhere you go you see HOPE. And everyone there knows the feelings you feel, but the entire place is filled with a positive atmosphere. It is beautiful, with a rose garden and many other wonderful things.

We were told to go to valet where our van was valeted and we went inside to check in at New Patient Services. From there Joey ran around and loved watching the fountain. We went to registration and signed the Acceptance Letter. Joey was accepted. Once again we had HOPE. From there a volunteer took us to the 3rd floor... clinic. Each floor has 4 pods, we went to pod 3A. Before 1 (our appointment time) we were taken back to a room. We were soon moved to a conference room and waited for Dr. Rosenthal. Joey needed to go potty so I took him and they had a little kids potty (which he was thrilled with). By the time I got back we had Dr. R, a nurse, and a social worker in the room waiting to meet with us.

Dr. R explained LCH in a way I had never heard it explained, but in a way it made perfect sense and explained why Joey keeps relapsing. he explained how stem cells work, and what happens when we do transplant. We talked about reduced intensity conditioning for Joey and the general consensus is this is likely best for Joey.

From there we discussed donors and finding Joey his match. Melanie is being tested, we should know within 2 weeks or so if she is a match. Regardless of if she is a match or if we need an unrelated donor, they want to use marrow, not stem cells. If a living donor is not located we will look at cord blood.

They drew the blood to start Joey's HLA typing. If Melanie is a match we could transplant in 6 weeks, if not we are looking at 12 weeks. They told me when transplant is done, and he stays histio free, he can be considered CURED!

HOPING, PRAYING, BELIEVING!

Never lose HOPE, never give up! HISTIO THIS IS YOUR LAST STAND! WE WILL WIN AND YOU WILL FALL!!!

Thanks be to God for bringing us where we are today and for answering our prayers that Joey be accepted.
June 26th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh this is great news! I have a pic I want to send you of the statue at City of Hope that I took last summer. I keep a collection of what I call "spiritual landmarks" and that statue out front with the family in the fountain is one for me...if you'd like the pic, pm me your email and I can send it to you in an attachment!
Remember I'm nearby if you need anything. I mean that. (((Hugs)))

eta: I use to be norina1028 on here just changed my name, it's a long story

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead

Last edited by Rina42308; June 26th, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
June 30th, 2010, 07:44 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Norina, I just had to open when I saw the username. I was thinking "Is that a new member???"

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search