Joey had his bone marrow biopsy today

Forum: Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2010, 09:29 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Test day 1 of 4 down and it was a rough day for momma... but a blessed day as well.

We left the house at 6 AM, expecting to hit major traffic. Arrived at City of Hope at 6:45... for an appointment at 8! So we walked the rose garden first. It is GORGEOUS! You can literally feel a sense of peace, hope, and tranquility throughout the entire campus. They have a gate in the rose garden that says "There is no sense in curing the body if in the process you destroy the soul" and you see that theory in everything they do! They don't treat just the disease, but the mind and spirit as well. After wlaking the rose garden we headed to the Zen Garden. In there was a beautiful Koi pond with TONS of Koi. AND they leave a bag of food for patents and visitors to feed the fish. So Joey fed the fish for a while and laughed at the turtles (we counted at least 11 turtles, and I suspect about 4 more). From there we walked around Hope House, the Path of Roses, and back to the front fountain (will post videos as soon as I can upload them). We checked in around 7:35 and headed to Pod 3D. They called Jey quickly for his labs. 10 vials of blood, for a repeat HLA typing. This is the 3rd time they have needed 10 vials of blood!

While sitting in the chair Joey got to watch his cartoons (and I tell ya, he loves clinic days since he watches all the shows we don't allow at home) and then Nurse Ginger came to take us to the procedure room. She walks in and says "I hear theres a present for Joey Born! Are you Joey?" OK, Joey is hooked.. he heard his name and present in the same sentence. So he gladly follows her and we walk into the procedure room where on the pillow was a Tonka box with 5 trucks in it. Joey LOVES cars and trucks so he wanted up on the bed NOW! The anasthesiologist was ALREADY there! They got him hooked up to the monitors and me and DH sat close by while we talked about what he would get (Versaid, Ketamine, and Propofol). Signed consents and Dr. R walked in. This is the HEAD of peds research and Joey's primary doctor. They administered the sedatives and Joey fell asleep quickly. Dr. R himself did the biopsy. I stayed in the room with him the entire time. It was difficult to watch them basically drill a needle into his bone, but it HAD to be done.

Dr. R says his bone is very very soft (likely an effect of all the chemo and steroids he has been on) however he had difficulty getting any marrow from him. He told me flat out that he suspects bone marrow involvement. If there is, I'm not sure how or even if this would change the treatment plan at this point.

When it was all done, they bandaged his hip area where the had stuck him, and we started working on waking him from the sedation. He woke up well and by the time he was awake they had breakfast in the room (delivered to the clinic!) for him. So he had some apple juice first to see how he did, then some milk. Finally he got the banana and chipmunk cheeked it (he had had nothing for 13 hours by this point). We were released to go home and on our way out he was happily eating his blueberry muffin.

Next pre-transplant test is on the 8th... an EKG and Echo under sedation. Then the 12 for Kidney test, CT scan, chest x-ray, and bone age scan under sedation, and finally on the 17th a brain MRI under sedation. We sign consents on the 21st and if all goes as planned then on the 27th he will be admitted, have surgery to remove his current post and place a Hickman broviac, and his conditioning chemo will start.
September 2nd, 2010, 06:41 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
I know it's scary, but try to remember, Joey's labs have been GREAT. NO sign on marrow involvement at all. Also, Joey is a rare case. Not many two olds (even in the cancer world) have been on the aggressive meds he has been on. Nor have they done so for 20+ months! While I have no doubt that Dr R. knows what he's doing, I do doubt he's ever had a patient quite like Joey. (After all Joey likes RARE!)

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
September 2nd, 2010, 09:37 AM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's so nice to hear that at least he has great care there at the hospital. They sound like very caring staff, and that's got to make a world of difference to you and Joey.

I don't know much about bone marrow involvement, but I hope that's not the case and that little man can catch a break and all will go smoothly. You have been and will continue to be in my prayers!

Thank you so much for keeping us updated.

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
September 2nd, 2010, 01:21 PM
MommytoaMiracle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You guys amaze me with your ongoing strength!
You should be so proud of yourself! Joey, too!
You will continue to be in my prayers!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search