2nd m/c

Forum: Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2006, 02:08 PM
sweetpea13's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to sweetpea13
i just had my 2nd m/c.the er doc didn't really have an answer.wasn't really expecting one from him but i am going to see my ob on wed.so i am wondering what i should ask her.they are sending me for blood and i think another ultrasound.any insight would be appreciated.thankyou,lisa

ME-28,DD#1-7,DD#2-5,DD#3-4 months Born on 2/26/08 @ 3:44pm 9lbs 2.7oz,2 Angels in Heaven

</div>
August 6th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lisa,
First off, I'm very sorry for your loss. I think many people find a second mc to be very different than a first loss, and my thoughts and prayers are with you. We've got a great group of ladies here who can answer most of your questions, and we're good at listening and offering support too.

In answer to your question - at this point, it's pretty much up to you whether or not you want to get any type of testing done to see if you have a recurrent problem or if 2 mcs was just bad luck. How far along were you when you mc'd? I think many of the tests find things that are likely to be the cause of early losses, but there may be different tests as well for later loss. There is a good sticky on the board for what to expect from testing and what it may or may not find.

From personal experience, I can tell you that I went ahead with the testing after my 2nd mc, the doctor did find something because of it (it still has to be confirmed, though, so it's not definite), and in all likelihood I will mc again if it's not treated. For me, the testing was worth it. FOr others, it's a lot of time and sometimes money and hassle for no answers.

I hope this helped. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Sara

Need Breastfeeding Support?

August 6th, 2006, 02:38 PM
1st one was 10w and 2nd one was 7w.if my insurance covers it,i want what ever tests she can run.i am afraid to get pg again and lose it too w/o knowing if it could have been prevented.luckily i have 2 dd's already and am O+.plus i have been bleeding and it has varied between light and heavy.at 7w loss and baby didn't develope past 5w would i still get clots???cause so far it has been very few.my first m/c was natural.should i maybe discuss d&c or just wait it out?tia

ME-28,DD#1-7,DD#2-5,DD#3-4 months Born on 2/26/08 @ 3:44pm 9lbs 2.7oz,2 Angels in Heaven

</div>
August 6th, 2006, 02:53 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 2nd loss I was just over 6 wks. I hadn't had an u/s & opted to stay home to mc, so I don't know when the baby stopped developing...but I didn't have anything significant for tissue that I could distinguish. All I had were some small clots that time. The pain was actually quite intense...and then after a number of hours, subsided suddenly - I suppose that is when I thought it must be over. When I went in for follow-up she said I still had some fluid...a few days later she checked me again & said I looked clear...so that is all I had done that time. I don't know if that is any help - but it's all I know from an early loss.

As far as the testing - I agree with Sara. Read hte sticky above about what types of testing may be offered & what they can check for. From going to an RE myself - I can tell you that mc'ing at 2 very different gestational ages is a better indication that perhaps there really isn't anything "wrong" & that it may just be a really terrible fluke. I know that isn't helpful when you really want answers - but initially my RE expected to find no answers for me since I was at a very different gestational age for each. (we were eventually diagnosed that Dh has a chromosomal abnormality). I don't know though - I know that I wanted answers - or to at least know that everything was checked out. I can understand that completely.

I am so very sorry for your losses & I hope you find emotional support & perhaps some answers here.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

August 6th, 2006, 05:56 PM
lizard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry for your loss.

With my last loss, I was 10 weeks along but it was a blighted ovum so the baby never developed (on an u/s you could see a sac but no baby). I passed about six to eight quarter size clots (I only remember this because the doctor asked me specifically since I was calling to cancel my D&C appointment). If they are planning to do an u/s, then they will be checking to see if you have passed everything or if you will need a D&C.

10/31/05 (EDD 5/15/06), 4/17/06 (EDD 11/13/06)
Chemical p/g 1/11/08

August 7th, 2006, 08:37 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry for your loss. If you choose the d&c and want to test the baby, that's the best way to get a sample. My first was a natural m/c at 4w and my second was by d&c at 6w6d. Doc took samples for testing and determined that it was trisomy 16, a chromosomal disorder. So basically bad luck in the gene mixing. But I feel much better knowing that than wondering if it was something wrong with me.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
August 10th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don 't have anything additional to add in terms of info but I do want you to know I am very sorry for your losses. We are always here for you.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
August 11th, 2006, 08:14 PM
thanks ladies.i haven't posted lately cause i have been busy.i went to the dr on wednesday and she checked me out.my uterus is low and closed and it was determined to be a blighted ovum.she sent for more lab work for betas.well i got a call yesterday and the nurse explained to me that the er machine and their machin are not the same so my levels were completely different.unfortuneatly they were higher with my ob.so i came back in today and did more lab work and they called me 2 hours later to tell me my levels have barely dropped so i am retaining some placenta and my dr gave me misoprostol to take and then i have to take methergine.i am on my 2nd pill of misoprostol and it sux.i can only imagime what it will all feel like when i get it all done.i go next thursday for a follow up.i really hope this medicine helps cause if not then the next step is a d/c.this is emotionally and physically painful/draining.has anyone ever had to take these med's?just wondering.i will close for now,lisa

</div>
August 12th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow - I am sorry to hear that all that is happening. I haven't taken the meds, so I can't be any help there. Good luck with all of this, and keep us posted. I'll be thinking about you.

Need Breastfeeding Support?

August 13th, 2006, 04:44 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lisa - I am so sorry things haven't gone smoothly. It was suggested once that I take methergine, but I opted to wait it out a bit & ended up not needing it - so I can't be of help there. I think there are others who have taken it & some seemed to not think it was too bad & others were a bit sick I think. I hope for you it has gone as good as it can.

I know none of this is easy...and adding another mc after already dealing with one often only compounds the grief. Feel free to come in here anytimes, ask any questions & talk about all of things you are feeling.

Sending you lots of love-

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

August 13th, 2006, 08:47 PM
well i got only mild cramps with the medicine and some nausea but all in all it wasn't as bad as i expected it to be.i did have some smaller clots come out so hopefully it will be enough for my next appt this coming thursday.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search