What to expect from an RE

Forum: Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2006, 10:57 AM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll be going to an RE in about 6 weeks to figure out what in the world is wrong with me. I have no idea what to expect. What kind of tests will they do on me??? Are they painful? If you could just share your RE and testing experiences with me I'd be very appreciative. Thanks!

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
August 17th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome. I've gone back to my RE just this week to begin looking into why I keep m/c (I went to her 6 years ago due to infertility issues because we couldn't conceive and now we seem to have the opposite problem). I'm sure some things will vary, but usually the following tests will be done by an RE.

- blood work to look at blood clotting disorders, and a few other blood panels to screen for other things. I just went through this yesterday and had 15 vials of blood taken and we're also going through genetic testing and being tested for chromosonal issues. Be careful though, as Becki pointed out, insurance doesn't always cover these tests and it's best to get an estimate to gage which ones to do it you have to pay out of pocket, so it doesn't add up too much all at once.

- either an HSG or a sonohystogram (and sometimes both) to determine the shape of your uterus (i.e. heart shaped, does it have a septum, are there any fibriods in the way, etc) and to check to see if your tubes are clear. I had the HSG done while I was in surgery already so I don't remember much about it, and the sonhystogram is where your cervix is opened and saline is pumped into your uterus and an vaginal u/s is done to determine everything. It's not too bad...I took 2 Aleve and 2 extra strength tylenols 30 before the procedure and was fine.

- Endometrial biopsy is usually done around 7 days after you O to determine the uterine lining. Once again, I took 2 Aleve and 2 extra strength tylenol's and I was fine. There was a bit of cramping and some spotting for a day but that was it.

- Semen anaylsis...I hope your DH or SO doesn't think he's getting out of anything. My DH has to give one and also had to go for blood work.

- Investigative Cycle - On CD 1 I have to call the office and schedule my tests and u/s for the cycle. On CD 3 I have to have an u/s and blood work to check my hormones. Then starting on CD9 - whenever I O (which is usually CD 19) I have to have a daily u/s and blood work to monitor my hormones.

After all of the testing is done, the results should be back within a few weeks and we'll get the results sometime around the end of September. The genetic tests will probably take 3-6 months though since fertility issues seem to make the bottom of the priority list.

Like I mentioned before...this is what my RE has me going through but some RE's don't do as much and perhaps some do more. I hope this gives you an idea. The 1st appointment we met with the RE both DH & I were there and we went over our medical history and she gave us the plan for the next cycle. Then both DH & I had blood work done to check our hormones.

As for the pain factor with the tests...it depends on your pain tolerance. I have a high tolerance and it wasn't too bad, but some people have found that the HSG and the biopsy were painful. That's why I recommend taking the pain med's before hand. I know it sounds like a lot meds but believe it or not...my RE suggested taking the 4 pills.

Good luck hun...the waiting part if the worse.

August 17th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Thank you so much for your response Nykoal, it was very helpful. I'm very lucky in the fact that my DH is military, so I shouldn't have to pay out of pocket for any of the testing (at least I'm hoping not...). It sucks that the results take so long though. What is recommended to do for birth control? I know I shouldn't take any because it would mess up my natural ovulation...but do they recommend you not get pregnant pending the results?? That's a long time to wait...and unfortunately DH is deploying in about 7 months...

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
August 17th, 2006, 03:43 PM
StephLS's Avatar Super Mommy
I've had 2 m/c and I've started the testing. So far, mine have been pretty similar to what Nykoal wrote. So far I've had testing for blood clotting etc. I had a day 3 fsh test and testing of my tsh. Due to the results of these I have to go back for more tests tomorrow and have started taking thyroid meds. Beyond this, my dr. is monitoring this cycle. I'm supposed to use an opk and schedule an ultrasound and estradiol when my opk turns positive. My dr. mentioned checking out my uterus, but wants to wait till after we do this other stuff.

Anyways, that's as far as I've gotten. Mostly just having blood drawn. Nothing painful yet.

Good luck to you when you go in!

Married to Eric since June 25, 2005
mom to
3 Angel babies and Ryan and Rachel
Ryan born 6-18-08
Rachel born 3-20-10
Baby boy due on 2-24-14

Everything Good comes on time - we just don't know when that time is.
August 17th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks Steph. Did your doctor give you any kind of realistic timeline regarding when you can/should try again? Nykoal's seemed like it would take months for results, did you doctor say the same?

August 17th, 2006, 09:16 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started seeing my RE in Jan - but had already ahd some preliminary testing (bloodwork, etc) done at my Ob prior. All my tests from the RE were in by February..and I got pg on accident in Feb. Unfortunately that pg ended in mc as well - but that is along story in itself. Some of the blood tests take a while - like 6-8 wks for results. I had bloodwork done & an HSG. I don't know if they would have pursued more testing had we not gotten a diagnosis or not. If he had more plans - I was not aware. As far as your 1st appt...for me, they did a pap & general pelvic, as well as asked a TON fo questions about both of us, including how often we have sex/masterbate, etc....how many past sexual partners, age we each lost our virginity, etc (to be honest I thought some of it was a bit ridiculous really - since I can't see how that would factor into mc if you don't currently or never have had an STD)...all kinds of stuff. Then we sat down with the RE in his office & went over all of hte questions & he basically gave us a ton of paperwork & a gameplan for what tests he would be running & how long it would take, etc. I am not sure how others handle their patient intake. Also my Ob required my Dh to come to all appointments with me unless he was in the service, or in some other capacity that he absolutely could not be there. He said this is a "couples" issue - so he treats the couple, regardless of who is getting hte actual test that day. I actually liked that - because it took all the pressure off me of asking him to go.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search