Back from genetic counseling

Forum: Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Mari13007's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry I haven't posted on here much, life seems very hectic recently, which on a brighter note has taken my mind off of ttc. I saw a genetic counselor yesterday with DH since my ob recommended me too. She was a very nice person and said that we should definitely ttc again, but that I should be aware that the chance (percentage) that I will m/c again will always be the same. As far as being positive for two copies of mthfr, she said not to worry, that two out of ten people are positive for both copies. She recommended more folic acid with supplements of B6 and B12 in conjunction with the prenatals. What she was not clear about though was about my test results for protein s activity. It came back low (56 with a normal range being between 60 - 140). She said that I would probably not need neparin or lovenox but was not completely sure and recommended that I be tested again once I was 8 weeks pg. Does anyone have more information on these drugs, the gentic counselor mentioned that they were injectable. She recommended that DH and I be tested to make sure we don't have more chromosomes than normal, so unfortunately I have more blood work to go through. I'm so tired of giving blood and I'm still waiting for some more clear answers which I'll probably never get. I can't wait to ttc again but at the same time I'm very scared. Sorry so long, thanks for listening.

My BFP Chart[/url]
August 24th, 2006, 03:48 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They're both for blood clotting issues (just google Heparin or Lovenox).

As for everything else, it sounds like you're at least getting some answers and making some progress. TTC after several losses is very scary. When you're ready, there's a subforum to this board for discussion about it.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
August 24th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Veteran
Sorry I don't have any direct experience with either of the drugs you're asking about, but I can give you direct links to info on each of them.. I always go to rxlist.com with my medication questions because it's the most indepth site I've found.. So here they are:
Heparin and Lovenox.

I hope those help ease your mind, even a little.. I know it's hard to not have answers, sweetie, and I know that it's hard thinking that you may never have answers.. But try to remain hopeful and know that even if you don't get an answer persay, it doesn't mean you can't concieve.. I know it's scary, but I have faith that everything will work out for you.. We're here for you sweetie.. Please keep us posted..

<span style="font-familyalatino Linotype">"I wish you knew how much you changed all our lives. But I know someday you'll see, if only through heaven's eyes."
I'll always love you, Lori.</span>
</div>
August 24th, 2006, 06:50 PM
EricaInOhio's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to EricaInOhio
I just wanted to let you know that I put some info in the sticky a while back about blood clotting disorders. My results came back that I had a borderline value for an antibody that can cause blood clotting (anticardiolipin) and a single copy of the MTHFR mutation. The good news about the MTHFR is that they can determine if your enzyme is functioning properly in spite of the mutation by checking your homocystene (HC) levels. If your HC levels come back high they will put you a higher dose of these vitamins you mentions and it is VERY successful at treating this problem. They do not usually treat MTHFR deficiency with blood thinners (other than a baby aspirin) because once the HC level is normal there isn't much worry about blood clots. So although this is all very overwhelming right now, it is a VERY treatable problem. There are women in the high risk pregnancy board that are on the blood thinners (I'll try to find the thread and link it here) and I have a friend that was on them all through her pregnancy. She says it wasn't as bad as it sounds. It's a shot once a day until 35 weeks, then they switch to a shorter acting medication that you have to inject every 12 hours. They aren’t so bad that you’ll bleed to death from a paper cut or anything. Anyway, I doubt you will need it. There is a lab test you can ask for that tests the speed at which your blood clots to determine if you might have a clotting disorder. I've read a lot about blood clotting disorders and the MTHFR mutation. I will try to answer any other questions that you might have. I hope you have answers soon!!! (and you thought your was long)

Are you aware of the benefits of babywearing? Visit me at www.carrymemama.com to learn more. "BABIES, BORN TO BE WORN!"

Part time Micro prof., full-time breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing WAHM of 2.
August 24th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Good luck. I had one clotting test come back abnormal and the second verification test come back normal, so I would definitely get the second test done. It's tough to have to worry about, and I hope everything turns out okay for you.

Need Breastfeeding Support?

August 24th, 2006, 07:48 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you didn't get hte absolute answers you were hoping for - but it is good you got soem answers. Maybe after your next tests coem back you will feel a little more clear on everything. It is frustrating to do all the poking & waiting. Unfortunately there is no other way to get the answers we all so desperately want. Hang in there hun - I am sure they will be able to tell you more soon! As for the TTC as Kathryn said - you can also always talk about all your feelings about that in the subforum...even if you aren't actively TTC - you can still talk about al of your feelings about it etc....I wish you all the best.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

August 25th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Mari13007's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you all for your kind words and information. I'm going in today for my third round of blood work and hopefully I'll get a call from my dr with my hc levels which I was tested for last week. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be normal xxxxx. I'll keep you all posted. Marilyn

My BFP Chart[/url]
August 25th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have two copies of the MTHFR and have had two healthy pg's. I just took extra folic acid with supplements of B6 and B12 (all prescribed by my perinatologist) and had no problems. I'm glad you are getting answers and I'm sure it will be no time at all before you have your baby.

visit my blog Rhondas random thoughts

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search