Have to say goodbye to my kitty tonight

Forum: Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2006, 12:29 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We adopted a kitten from the shelter in January to be a friend for our 9 year old cat, Kirby. Apparently Jellybean was a carrier for something and now Kirby is very, very sick. We just talked to the vet and she said he's got no more than a month, probably a lot less and watching him go will be painful for all of us (including Kirby). He's already lost half his body weight and his breathing is labored. So we're putting him to sleep tonight. He was basically my first "baby", so this is absolutely killing me. I can't even see to type. We got him as a teeny kitten just a few months before we were engaged, so he's always been part of the family. We're going to give DS the option of going to tell him goodbye after work/school. This is too much loss for one year...
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
September 1st, 2006, 01:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OMG I'm so sorry. I know how bad it is to lose an animal. My Boomer just left us on 8-16 and we are still in mourning. The pet cemetary gave us a card with this poem on it and it really makes me smile (and cry at the same time)

The Rainbow Bridge

By the edge of the wood, at the foot of a hill,
is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
when their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
for here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
their bodies have healed, with strength inbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
the time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart
has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
and then, side-by-side,
they cross over...........
together.

This website has also helped us a lot
The Rainbow Bridge

I pray that your grief is eased as is his pain.
Much love and

visit my blog Rhondas random thoughts
September 1st, 2006, 01:23 PM
Thank you, Rhonda. That's a very sweet poem. And your prayers are most appreciated.
September 1st, 2006, 01:49 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I remember having to put down my Princess (black lab). The most horrible thing was to realize how truly she was in pain, and a lot of it, and my dad was waiting for me to be ready. He would have done it a couple of weeks before I realized it was what was best for her. That was my first loss.

Now I know she's up there, taking care of my Cora. She always viewed me as her puppy, so Cora is sort of her grand-puppy. It makes me smile to think of that.

September 1st, 2006, 01:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sooooo sorry hun. We almost had to put our cat (who I had for over 7 years and got while I was in university) down 2 years ago due to poor health (she had hepatic lipidosis - liver failure) and for 2 days I couldn't eat or sleep. She got sick a month after we brought home our puppy and I blamed myself for her illness. The thought of going through all of that again is so hard to comprehend. I can only imagine the thoughts and emotions you all must be going through right now. I'll be praying for ya hun.

September 1st, 2006, 01:59 PM
Mari13007's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh sweetie, I'm so so so very sorry I wish there was something more I can say to make you feel better.

My BFP Chart[/url]
September 1st, 2006, 04:50 PM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
kathryn, all my condolences. I had to put down my sasha kitty in 1999, just before our year anniversary of getting her (she had a neuological genetic illness)...I was devestated...I think of her often. i keep her picture nearby. She was my first pet as an adult so my first "baby" too. I know htis is so hard for you and your family. I truely am sorry.
The poem you sahred Rhonda made me cry...I envision all my pets from childhood onward running like that to me...thanks for sharing. I'm gonna keep that one forever.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
September 1st, 2006, 09:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry!

Need Breastfeeding Support?

September 2nd, 2006, 08:48 AM
Veteran
Aww, sweetie! I'm so sorry.. It's so painful to have to lose a pet.. It really is like losing a member of the family! I hope you were able to rest last night and get to a peaceful place with the loss of Kirby..
I'm just so so sorry! I'll pray for you & your family.

<span style="font-familyalatino Linotype">"I wish you knew how much you changed all our lives. But I know someday you'll see, if only through heaven's eyes."
I'll always love you, Lori.</span>
</div>
September 2nd, 2006, 08:25 PM
Veteran
Pets are our furbabies and they always have a special place in our hearts!
I'm very sorry for your loss =(
September 3rd, 2006, 03:43 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh Kathryn - I am so sorry. Lossing a pet is so incredibly hard & made harder often when we have to decide when enough is enough. I will keep you in thoughts & prayers & hope you can find some peace with it soon. My mos trecent loss was in 2004 & I still get teary talking about him (kitty). It is amazing hte huge part of our lives they become & I am sorry you are experiencing yet another loss so deep.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 3rd, 2006, 10:21 PM
sweetpea13's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to sweetpea13
Kathryn~sweetie i am so sorry you are going thru this.it is never easy to lose someone or animal that you love dearly.i know exactly how you feel. Lisa

ME-28,DD#1-7,DD#2-5,DD#3-4 months Born on 2/26/08 @ 3:44pm 9lbs 2.7oz,2 Angels in Heaven

</div>
September 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Thank you everyone for all your sweet replies. We made it through Friday, but it was very hard. Our 10 month old kitten has been just as depressed as the rest of us, which is really pitiful to see. I know we did what was best for Kirby. He had already gone downhill just between lunch and going to say goodbye after work. Still hard though.
September 4th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's as if they know...my kitty did the same thing between lunch and when I took her in that evening...

Many, many more to you...
You continue to be in my prayers.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
September 4th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
I am so extremely sorry for the loss of Kirby. I know pets are part of the family. I would be devastated if something happened to one of my kitties. We almost lost Munchie due to a common infection in kittens not long after we got her.

September 5th, 2006, 10:24 AM
candacesoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh Kathyrn...I'm so sorry for the loss of your Kirby. It's amazing how much we come to love our fur babies.

Hugs,

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search