My nieces surgery was today

Forum: Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2006, 09:37 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am sooooo pooped. I just got home from a very very long day. My nieces surgery ran way over on time & had us all very very worried...but it seems she is okay for now. The cancer was more spread than they thought - but still in the same area basically. She had 4 nodes that were larger than golf balls & 3 others, also her thyroid, parathyroid, and adnoids were all affected. She is in terrible pain - but that is to be expected I am sure. They are going to biopsy every node/organ they took to verify the type of cancer. I didn't get to spend too much time with her - but she thanked me for coming & I gave her legs a sponge bath as she felt very overheated & cooling the room down wasn't seeming to help her. I also brought her 15 yr old sister back with me tonight as she was having a real hard time coping with seeing her sister looking so bad & in so much pain. She was really unprepared. My sis & her Dh will spend the night at the hospital tonight since I brought Marli home with me...so that frees them up to both be there with her tonight & gets Marli some distance & space to talk about her own feelings. My sister was being very good & compassionate & sweet...and my nieces is pretty in & out of consciousness at this point - so there wasn't anything else I could do. She was able to tell me how much she hate the high collar on her nightgown - so I went to target & bought her a tank style nightgown, robe, slippers & a pair of really squishy socks that are like a pair of mine she keeps trying to steal & the nurse said she will put her in the nightgown as soon as she is a little more conscious to help with the process. I wish there were more I could do - but for now - there isn't much anyone can do - it's rough on your body to have 8+ hrs of surgery. I have decided to call in sick tomorrow. I hate to do it on one hand & really don't care on the other hand. I guess we'll see in the morning. Right now I just want to go be with her...and I can't decide if that is good, selfish, both...I don't know. I also know that if she is allowed....I can do some massage therapy/accupressure work on her feet tomorrow to try to help with pain control & most patients are cleared for at least that. I feel like perhaps I could be of some help there. We'll see what the Dr says. I tried to find some time to do a proper full-body massage before the surgery, but it never worked out. It may be some time now before she is allowed...due to radiation, etc. Okay - well I am pooped - so that is it for now. Don't knwo if I will be able to be here much the next couple of days - but I will try. I think I need it for my own sanity....cause you guys truly are the best & I don't know how I would deal with my life anymore without you!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 8th, 2006, 07:28 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so glad and relieved that the surgery went well, even though it went longer than planned. Honestly, I haven't ever experienced a surgery that finished on time or early. I'm sorry she's in so much pain. I'm sure she'll love the foot massage therapy. Sounds wonderful. I'm surprised they put her in such a high necked gown, being that she had neck surgery. You're a wonderful aunt for getting her all fixed up. I feel better just reading about it.

I know your other niece was glad to come home with you. It's good that she had that haven and your hugs. Hospitals are hard for anyone, but when you see your big sis looking so pitiful, it's got to tear at you. You are so in tune to everyone, I think that's why you're so perfect for this board. You just seem to know what each person needs to feel better.

Don't forget to take care of yourself. Try not to overdo it. And please keep us posted. I'm keeping all of you in my prayers.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
September 8th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was wondering how things went. I can't even begin to comprehend 8hrs of surgery. What a great aunt you are. So loving, caring and compassionate. What a scary time this is for your family.

I don't think you're being selfish if you call in sick today. It's your family and even the little things that you are doing are helping out with the big picture which is to support your niece and you family during this horrible time.

I'll be praying for all you, hun.

September 8th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Mari13007's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, what a brave niece you have and what a wonderful aunt you are. Please take care of yourself, I remember when my mom had her thyroid remove because of cancerous cell growth that they found. It took a toll on the whole family and you deserve to take some time off for yourself. My mom recovered fairly quickly from that surgery and I'm sure that your niece will as well. You and your family will be in my prayers.

My BFP Chart[/url]
September 8th, 2006, 12:16 PM
bcmomma's Avatar Veteran
Hi Beckie, I'm glad the surgery went well, I couldn't even imagine. Your strength will definitely help her, and the things you are doing to make her more comfortable are so thoughtful. I'm happy you're taking the day off work, try not to feel bad about that. I love you and you are all in my thoughts!!!

"As my memory rests/ but never forgets what I lost/ wake me up when September ends."
September 8th, 2006, 05:48 PM
lizard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the update. I'm glad that she got through the surgery all right. It sounds like you are a wonderful aunt to be there for her and her sister like you are. You all are in my prayers.

10/31/05 (EDD 5/15/06), 4/17/06 (EDD 11/13/06)
Chemical p/g 1/11/08

September 9th, 2006, 01:33 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks so much! You all are so supportive....I really appreciate it. She is doing really quite well with recovery & they are expecting her to be home by Weds. She could have gone home otday if they had wanted to do the after-care for the drainage tubes themselves, but no one was comfortable with that (I don't blame them) so the Dr said she can stay until those are removed (thank goodness - becasue they are kind of icky). She is eating well & walking around, etc....so she is doing really great. I have been there most of the time - but am pooped now & taking a break. I thought I would go back tonight - but thinking now perhaps I will go tomorrow. I guess we will see. Thanks again - it is so nice to have all of you be so kind & caring about this all. It means a lot.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 9th, 2006, 05:11 PM
lizard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad to hear that she is doing so well today. I was hoping that you would be back in with an update.

10/31/05 (EDD 5/15/06), 4/17/06 (EDD 11/13/06)
Chemical p/g 1/11/08

September 10th, 2006, 10:11 AM
candacesoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Beck... you truly are a wonderful aunt and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I'm glad to hear that she's recovering quickly. When does she start the chemo or raditaion? How long will you have to be seperated from her?

Love,

September 10th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You and your neice are both strong people. I'm glad to hear it's going well, and I hope she has a speedy recovery. I know it's hard, but try to get some rest yourself too!

Need Breastfeeding Support?

September 11th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh Becki, I am so glad to read this full update on your neice. She continues to be in my prayers, as well as my whole congrgation, as just yesterday our pastor called us to specifically ask how she is doing. You are an amazing aunt and I am so glad both your neices have you! I can empathize with what Marli may be experiencing on a much smaller degree...years ago my sister had surgery and when she came out I went to see her...seeing her like that, although we aren't very close, was scary and difficult. I walked out of the room and fainted. It was just overwhelming...no matter the complexities of the realtionship, there's something about sisters...when she hurts I hurt, and I can't stress enough how strange that is to me when i don't even really consider us "friends" ya know? Anyway, since I know Marlie is close to her big sis, I can just imagine the heartahce she is also feeling. I can't stress enough how wonderful it is that you are there tending to her needs as well. I love you and I am wishing you all peace in this process. Lee is a strong girl, I have no doubt she will recovery quickly and fully!
May God bless you all,

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
September 11th, 2006, 07:48 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so glad she's already up and about and eating. That should quickly put her on the road to recovery. You're taking such good care of her, don't forget to take good care of you and baby, too. Please keep us posted on her progress and I'll continue to keep all of you in my prayers.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
September 13th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Tigger's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Beckie I am glad she is doing well. She is very lucky to have an aunt like you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search