SHG results from yesterday

Forum: Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I meant to post this here but I accidentaly posted it on the PG Loss site.

Yesterday was quite the day. I had my u/s and blood work in the morning, and then I had my SHG yesterday afternoon. The RE, Radiologist and the U/S Tech were in the room. It was almost an uncomplicated and pain free event, but of course...what would something be without a little drama from me!

I was told to take 2 Advil & 2 Extra Strength Tylenol about an hour before my appointment. Since not too many people have mentioned having a SHG (sonohystogram) I thought I would give a little detail as to what the procedure entailed.

When the doctor started she cleaned my cervix and inserted the cathetar. Then the vag. u.s was also inserted. They looked around and gradually added saline and monitored where it went via a doppler. They also looked at the shape of my uterus and if my tubes were clear. Right off the batt they noticed that there was some scar tissue from my D&C in May and were a little concerned.

The good news is my tubes are completely clear and there's no signs of scar tissue from my EP and the surgery last Oct. When they did the saline surge for the first time I could feel a lot of pressure near my left ovary and the doctor said that there might have been some tissue but it was cleared out from the saline. They couldn't get a very good view of my right ovary because of my pendunculated fybroid (a fybroid on a stem) in the way, but since I had no pain they assumed that the tube was clear.

The interesting news is I had scar tissue in my uterus, and when they went to inflat the balloon in my uterus to look at the size and shape, they couldn't inflate it and it shot back out of my uterus! That was uncomfortable to say the least. So they tried again and I guess with all of the saline and the attempt from the balloon, the scar tissue was disloged, and I was given a clean bill of health. There was the possibility of surgery to remove the scar if this didn't work. So I'm really glad that it worked.

So it looks like the scar tissue was blocking the flow of blood from the D&C and is what caused me to spot for 3 weeks, and possibly why I m/c in July. The radiologist asked if AF was still around and when I told him that she left last week he was a little surprised. I guess there was a build up of old blood in my uterus that couldn't leave due to the scar tissue. Needless to say after the procedure was done I was soaked form the saline (they needed to use 4 syringe's of saline) and from the old blood...sorry for TMI. I was shocked at how much liquid there was. On a scale of 1 to 10 for pain I would rate this procedure a 1 or 2. It's not that bad as long as you take the pain killers before. Then again...I do have a high pain tolerance.

So I now have a complete clean bill of health internally and only 3 more days of u/s and blood work. My veins are in rough shape and they're having a hard time finding good veins now. This morning the nurse had to dig a little for a tiny vein and I nearly clawed the ceiling and let out a huge YELP!

I spotted yesterday but wasn't in any pain. The procedure itself it kinda like a Pap test but with a bit more pressure. This morning the spotting is completely gone and I feel just fine.

Last night when I went to the bathroom there was a small piece of tissue about 1cmx0.5cm (and it resembled the look of liver if that makes any sense). I know it was old itssue because it was pretty solid (jello like) but it got me wondering. I'm a little saddened to find out that the scar tissue might have been the cause of my last m/c. I'm glad to know it's been cleared away but I can't help playing the "what if" game. How many more m/c would I have had to endure if this tissue wasn't removed? What else is going on with me? I guess looking back, I'm relieved that it's gone but feel bad at the same time.
September 8th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Mari13007's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so happy that your procedure went well and that they were able to clear out the scar tissue. Good luck on your remaining blood testing, remember hold down the cotton pad for about a full minute to keep from bruising. I hope you get the all clear to ttc again very soon!

My BFP Chart[/url]
September 8th, 2006, 10:09 AM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know what you mean about playing the what if game. And I can see why you'd have conflicting emotions. Sometimes it so nice to pinpoint the problem, but with the knowledge comes heartache over the things you've had to endure.
Thanks for sharing the procedure, that's one that we're most likely going to have to do. Was it just outpatient? I'm glad that you got some answers though, and I hope you're feeling a little more hopeful about things. When did they tell you can try again, if you don't mind my asking? Or are you even ready to take that step yet? I'm at the point right now where I don't even want to think about getting pregnant at this time, because the thought of losing another one is just too scary. On the other hand, I might feel totally different once I can finally get in to see an RE and get a little hope. Thanks again for sharing, you'll be in my thoughts.

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
September 8th, 2006, 08:34 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so happy that the procedure went well and that they were able to remove scar tissue and any blockages with the saline instead of surgery. That's great news!

(((hugs))) We just can't play the "what if" game. It will only lead us down a path where we really do not want to go. Its so hard not to, though. I really do understand. Just having to go through my history with the RE two days ago brought back so many raw emotions and of course the "what ifs". Grieving is natural and healthy and that is something we need to do. But the "what ifs" remind me of a message I heard called the "Why Trap".

Again, I'm so glad to hear that all went well and that it was not too painful.

Big (((hugs))),
Dawn

September 9th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The procedure was done in my RE's office and wasn't bad at all. I went to my appointment over my lunch hour and was back at work that afternoon.

We are ready to TTC but we're cautiously optimistic if that makes any sense. We're not preventing this cycle but we're not "trying" either until we get the rest of our results back (which should be in about 2 weeks). I have a feeling that the first 2 losses were unrelated. The 1st was ectopic and now that my tubes are clear I feel more confident. The 2nd loss I have a feeling was chromosonal since they couldn't get an accurate measurement from the crown to the rump to date the pg and the baby wasn't the correct shape. If that's the case then I expect to hear from the RE that my test results are normal and nothing could be found.

Then again, I want to prepare for everything and don't want to gegt my hopes up.
September 9th, 2006, 01:29 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nicole - so glad to hear they were able to actually do something besides give you a test result - they may have helped you avoid surgery. I know it's hard to wonder what-if's...but what-if now everything goes smoothly because they got it all straightened out - at least it a great what-if. Thanks too for the info on the procedure. It sound fairly similar to the HSG...but I think they used oil in that for me...but similar still. I have to say for me I thought it was more of a 5-6 on hte pain scale - but very brief as well & left me quite crampy for the rest of hte day.

I wish you all hte best from here on out & hope thye find nothing else on any of your tests so that you can feel fairly confident in the result when it's time to TTC again. Best of wishes sweetie!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 12th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh Nicole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so sorry i haven't been around much and am just getting to your post. I am soooo glad they found the problem and that you were able to have that scar tissue dislodged and did not have to go through the surgery. It sounds like we have very similar conditions...i also had an SHG which is how they found my scar tissue in June. unfortunately i ahd to have the surgery because there ewas so much of it. This is definitly something to be thankful for but I also understand that feeling of guilt and "what if"...when they found my septum last year I got even more depressed...like it was my fault my body was defective. Then to have had surgery to remove it only to loos another baby and have to have suurgery again for sar tissue! It's like how much can my body f with me ykwim? I have felt very guilty at times for my losses...then there are waves of optimism and gratefullness. Just know all that you feel is ok. if you ever want to talk more in depth about it, please pm me anytime!
Much love to you...may I ask does this mean you can ttc this month?????

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
September 13th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm feeling more optimistic and positive with each passing day. We can TTC when ever we feel ready and I was told I'll probably be "extra" fertile because of the SHG. I guess a lot of her patient's got pg the cycle with the SHG. Since it was saline and nothing else and they didn't have to do anything else, my uterus is in good shape. After I passed the tissue, I've had no spotting so the lining is fine. I don't even need to have the Endometrial Biopsy done since everything looked good and my prog. levels have always been a good level.

So this means we can TTC when we want.
September 13th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
So this means we can TTC when we want.[/b]
Yay! That's great news, regardless of what you decide to do right now.

Need Breastfeeding Support?

September 15th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks so much for posting what the procedure entailed!!! I'm having one done right after this period, and I wasn't really sure what they were going to do. That's great that they got that scar tissue out of there!!! Happy ttc, and I hope that when you do concieve you have a wonderful, happy, and healthy 9 months!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search