Nykoal or others?

Forum: Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2006, 10:37 AM
candacesoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nykoal,

I saw in another post that you have endo. ? I was wondering if you could give me any advice about my daughter, Jessica. She's 15 and has been having symptoms for years (severe cramping, vomiting, and she's even passed out from it).

One issue is that Jess is a total drama queen though and also that she will use any excuse to miss school. I never know truly what the extent of her pain is because of this. Don't get me wrong...I know she is definitely experiencing a medical problem and I feel very sorry for her but I can't let her miss school as often as she wants too.

She's been on birth control pills for two years but they haven't seemed to help much. The last two cycles, she's been taking the bc for 6 weeks and then off for one week. I haven't seen improvement in her symptoms though.

So basically, do you have any advice on how to deal with this issue and how it may be affecting Jess? SInce I don't have it... I can't relate as well as I'd like too.

Also...if anyone else has some info or advice they'd like to pass along...I'd appreciate it.

September 21st, 2006, 01:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Here's that I posted on the TTC after Loss board, but I thought the info might be worth posting twice.

I've suffered from Endo basically since I was about 12. I would get horrible cramps the first day of AF to the point where I was blacking out from the pain, throwing up and shivering from the pain. I remember in high school I threw up on my Principle's shoes and my guidance counsellor drove me home but tried to take me to the hospital...that was fun trying to convince them this was normal.

My other symptoms included fatigue during AF, diarrhoea, very heavy AF's, horrible bloating, and vomiting. I wasn't "officially" dx with Endo until I was 23. There's no true way to know unless you have laproscopic surgery and can physically see it. It can't be seen during an examine and won't show up on xrays or u/s.

Endo is basically where tissue similiar to the uterine lining manages to find it's way outside of the uterus and forms adhesions and lesions to various areas in your body (and normally in the abdomen cavity). My adhesions usually form around my bowels, my lower back area, and my appendix. I was put on BCP's when I was 18 but they didn't do much for me. The surgery helped because they laser off the adhesions, but they grow back and I've had to have them removed again.

As for knowing if your daughter has it or not...that's a hard one. Many doctors chalk up bad cramps to just that. It took me many years before I could find a Dr. who took me serious. I was usually told that I was too young and they would give me pain killers. I can remember girls in my school compaining about "cramps" and my theory was if you can take something over the counter for the pain and still function (i.e. stand, walk, talk in coherant sentences, and carry on with your daily actitivities...) it's not that bad.

My mom thought it was in my head and I suffered in silence for many years. Now my 19 year younger sister has the same symptoms that I had and my mom saw what I went through and got my sister to a doctor when she was about 14.

Talk to you daughter. Find out what her symptoms are. How does she feel. I had to drop out of my 2nd year of university because the pain got so bad and I was in bad shape for 2 weeks a month.

In terms of pain management, I've tried the drug route and herbs and vitamins, but it wasn't until I had the surgery did I feel any relief. Endo sucks...but with knowledge and understanding it can be dealt with. To be honest...Endo still affects me since I have frequent days where I've had to call in sick for work and I hate to do that since most people don't understand it and I don't feel like expaining.

I hope you can find out what's going on. The hardest part is being in the dark and feeling alone. What a great Mom you are to seek out info and work with your daughter!!!
September 21st, 2006, 03:50 PM
Rina42308's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Candace,
I too had undiagnosed endometriosis until I had my surgery last Sept. When I was a teenager I also would get debilitating cramps, would throw up, would stay home from school due to severe back pain and light headedness. Everyone would chalk what I was going through to "cramps" as well and my mom would bog me down with motrin, advil, tylenol, any and all meds. Nothing would helpo and sometimes something would. It would just depend on the month.
When I was 16 I had a ovarian cyst that ruptured...the pain was horrific and lasted for days...I went in and out of the ER all weekend. I finally got a referral to a internist who foudn the cyst and he gave me vicodin to get me through that apin. i used them sparingly and would save them for when I had my period because it was the only thing that would dull the pain. When I was 18 I went on BC and it helped. AS I got older it seemed to get better but then I went off bc and the pain returned (not as bad when I was a teenager). When my RE did the septum surgery he found all the endometriosis and said he was surprised I hadn't complained of menstrul pain sooner, in his opinion it was pretty bad. I told him I kinda chalked it up myself to being a downside of being a female. he confirmed for me periods should not be that intense in pain and told me to let him him if I ever expereince it again.
So as for your daughter...when she complains take a look at her...most of the time you can tell if the pain is reall or not. I remember I had a teacher come up to me at school one day my senior year and ask if I was ok because she said my face was looking "green" she actually gave me a heating pad during class when I told her the problem..she was a sweetheart.
Anyway best of luck with her. Perhaps have an eval with an OB and see what they have to say but don't let them brush it under the rug if she continues to hurt bad...
Hope this info that Nykol and I shared helps a little...

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
September 21st, 2006, 04:06 PM
candacesoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Norina,

Here's an update I posted on TTC after loss. I'm leaving work right now but I may have some questions for you tomorrow.

http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...owtopic=342305

Love,

September 21st, 2006, 09:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I too have suffered with endo for most of my life. My experience mirrors those of the other ladies. I had my OB tell me that pgs will help because the hormones shrink the endo tissue but it takes almost a full term pg to do it. That's why they give BCPs to treat it. I had a laparoscopy and a hysteroscopy and during that surgery he caulderized (sp?) as much of it as he could then prescribed BC for me to take and I took those non-stop for a full year (went from one package to the next without taking any of the placebo pills) and I have not had a painful AF since. Endo is a very painful thing and the only thing that really helped me was Midol. Now, my OB prescribes Naproxin for me which is basically prescription strength Aleve.

visit my blog Rhondas random thoughts
September 22nd, 2006, 06:08 AM
Candace, i read the update on your Jess. I know surgery can be scary but I've had two laproscopy surgeries now and survived The first one was painful but that was due tot he septum removal. I must tell you my AF's after surgery have been awesome compared to the pain I use to be in before. Endo is horrible. Now having experienced AF w/o it, I see a HUGE differednce. If Jess has endo, she will be glad she had the surgery.
I have the same little scars that Nykol described she has on the other board. I'm kinda vain so i gotta tell you the scars on my body scared me at first but now after seeing how tiny they are they don't bother me at all It also helps to know what the scars mean...for me it enables me to possibliy carry to term now so I welcome them . Getting rid of the endo for Jess now will also assist in her not having complications later when she's ready to have kids. Severe endo and pg sometimes are not good together.
So all in all the 2nd surgery I had was a breeze physically speaking afterwards. The only problem I had was the anesthsia...since Jess has not been put under before (at least it sounds like) I'd ask the anesthesiologist to include some anti nausea med in for her just in case. I can't tell you how horrible vomiting continuously after surgery is...
Let me know if you have any more ?'s...I'd be happy to help.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead
September 22nd, 2006, 07:45 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I second the anti-nausea meds, especially with abdominal surgery. I asked for it with my d&c and it was so much better waking up than when I'd had ankle surgery without them.

Let us know when surgery gets closer. I'll keep you both in my prayers.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
September 22nd, 2006, 11:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the anti nausea meds. I personally dont get sick because its the morphine that causes the nausea and I cant have it, but my DS had to have anesthesia to have his wisdom teeth pulled and the vomiting after was worse for him than the surgery. I had the lap and I have a little scar inside my belly button, but I just got my belly button pierced and now I can't even see it. It really is that small.

September 25th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Quote:
I agree with the anti nausea meds. I personally dont get sick because its the morphine that causes the nausea and I cant have it, but my DS had to have anesthesia to have his wisdom teeth pulled and the vomiting after was worse for him than the surgery. I had the lap and I have a little scar inside my belly button, but I just got my belly button pierced and now I can't even see it. It really is that small.[/b]

Girl! You just got your belly button pierced after having a baby only a few months ago!?
You must look hot!!!

September 25th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I agree with the anti nausea meds. I personally dont get sick because its the morphine that causes the nausea and I cant have it, but my DS had to have anesthesia to have his wisdom teeth pulled and the vomiting after was worse for him than the surgery. I had the lap and I have a little scar inside my belly button, but I just got my belly button pierced and now I can't even see it. It really is that small.[/b]

Girl! You just got your belly button pierced after having a baby only a few months ago!?
You must look hot!!!
[/b]
I actually got it pierced 3 years ago and managed to keep it through my whole pg! I had to buy a special bb ring that is made for pg. I got inked and pierced in the same month.

September 27th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You must look hot!!!
[/b]
I actually got it pierced 3 years ago and managed to keep it through my whole pg! I had to buy a special bb ring that is made for pg. I got inked and pierced in the same month.
[/b]

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search