Blood clotting disorders

Forum: Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2006, 12:14 PM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, this might be kind of random so bear with me. When I had Sophie (my 16 week loss) the doctor was concerned that I might have a blood clotting disorder, as several clots were discovered when my water broke, when I was actually having her, and later when I delivered the placenta. Several vials of blood were taken from me to test for several different things, two of which were choromosmal abnormalities and blood clotting. Everything from that bloodwork came back normal.
However, it is my understanding that there are a few different blood clotting disorders (Factor V and APLA to name 2.) I'm not sure if I was tested for all of the disorders, so I don't think I can rule that out as a problem.
I have an undiagnosed heart condition as well. Testing was done when I was about 16, but then I moved and never finished testing. When DH joined the military and I was pregnant with Sophie they did a minimal Echo on me, but not the extensive one the doctor wanted. Soo....I MIGHT have Mitral Valve Prolapse, but nothing's been proven for sure yet, that's still just the best guess the doctors have.
That got me to thinking...and I started to research the connections between blood clotting disorders and heart conditions such as MVP...and there is a strong correlation.
I know a few of you on here have a blood clotting disorder...I guess my question is have you ever had heart problems too? Are there any signs and symptoms besides just having the blood test done? Thank you if you actually made it though this terribly long diatribe...

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
September 28th, 2006, 12:28 PM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
I have a heart condition so my risk of clotting is increased but I don't think I have a disorder.
But Iíll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

September 28th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Thanks for your reply. Do you know what your heart condition is??

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
September 28th, 2006, 01:10 PM
When i was born i needed an operation called "Transposition of the Greater Arteries" basically some of the tubes around my heart didn't form correctly. I had it when I was 5 days old.
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

September 28th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you have any symptoms for your suspected Mitral Valve Prolapse?

I might have a blood clotting issue I think its leiden 5..I went to a hematologist today they drew blood but will not get the results until October 12....

Sometimes my heart feels like it skips a beat or like there is an air bubble is in there....

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

~~Lisa~~(40) Mommy to Jenna Justine 20 years old and Peyton Keely Born December 28th,2007
September 28th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I've had weird heart symptoms off and on since I was about 15. I have a very irregular heartbeat (DH is an EMT and it freaks him out!), and palpitations. I've also had 2 or 3 episodes where my fingers turn totally blue, but it's been a few years since that's happened. And I don't know if this is related or not, but ever since I was a kid I'll get really random dizzy spells that literally have me down for the entire day...it's so bad that the room is spinning even if my eyes are closed...
Does anyone know how many blood clotting disorders you can have?

September 29th, 2006, 04:17 AM
get palpitations, i have a third heart beat and i have chest pain a bit, jsut the way it is at least im stll alive!

But anyone that reguarly gets palpitations should go to their doctor...thats not a good thing it can actually be quite dangerous.
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

September 29th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Mari13007's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know whether I have any type of heart condition other than two things that have popped up abnormal on my blood work. 2 copies of mthfr (which is not a blood clotting disorder by itself) rather if you have a homozygous copy like I do, you have an increased risk of your blood clotting if your homocysteine levels are not normal. The other thing they found was that I have low protein s activity (which most people are heterozygous for this) and is a rather uncommon blood clotting disorder. They can not link having either of these two things to my losses and I have been told that I would need lovenox more than likely during my next pg. There once was an occassion when I was around 20 that I was taken to the hospital after excersising for shorten of breathe and heart palpitations but they did not find anything.

My BFP Chart[/url]
October 1st, 2006, 07:05 PM
EricaInOhio's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to EricaInOhio
I have MVP, but since I don't have a leaky valve (that means old blood doesn't mix with the new blood) it is not really a dangerous condition at all. I get heart palpatations once in a while and I have a pretty strong vagal response when I stand up or have severe pain. I've only lost conciousness from it once. I've had 2 losses with no analysis in either case. I have a single copy of the MTHFR mutation, but my homocysteine levels are normal. I'm on Foltex and low dose aspirin just in case. After my second loss I had a borderline-high level of anticardiolipin (one antibody that causes APL disorders) that returned to normal 6 weeks later. My hemotologist thinks it is triggered during pregnancy. There is some evidence in the liturature that this occurs, but no way to know for sure if that's the case for me. I'll be on Lovenox for future pregnancies since there's no way to know for sure if my anticardiolipin levels will come back up again. I'm not aware of a connection between MVP and blood clotting disorders. If you find anything please post a link here because I'd like to read it.

Are you aware of the benefits of babywearing? Visit me at www.carrymemama.com to learn more. "BABIES, BORN TO BE WORN!"

Part time Micro prof., full-time breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing WAHM of 2.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search