Question re low dose aspirin

Forum: Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2006, 12:01 AM
Veteran
What do people know about the use of low dose aspirine for recurrent miscarriage?

I was told that it is only useful for people suffering a particular type of condition (APAs or something along those lines). I was tested for it but the tests were negative. But I was reading a book about recurrent miscarriage that noted that it is very easy to get false negatives with those tests. So, I am not sure how reliable are the tests in the first place.

So, any thoughts? Is low dose aspirin used widely?

Thanks

Paula
October 1st, 2006, 07:26 AM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know it's often used for women who have a blood clotting disorder, because it helps to thin the blood. I actually heard some interesting stories concerning this exact thing. There was a lady who had 6 m/c's, was negative for every BCD, so finally her doc put her on baby asprin anyways as a precaution. She went on to have 3 healthy pregnancies. I heard several stories like that. I figure, in very few circumstances can it HURT, as it's such a lose dose, but talk to your doctor before self medicating.

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
October 1st, 2006, 04:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've tested negative for blood clotting issues, but my RE still wants me to take it daily. She says that there have been some studies on how it helps to build a better lining for implantation, and since she says to say on it...I have.

I only take the low dose aspirin (81mg) since the regular strength is too much. It's the same aspirin amount they recommend for heart and stroke prevention.
October 1st, 2006, 08:09 PM
Super Mommy
I started taking baby aspirin after my second miscarriage. soon after, i got pregnant with my DS and went on to have a healthy pregnancy. all of my tests came back negative for needing the aspirin. my doc thought i should take it just in case.

i really had faith that taking it was the fix to my problem. then i had another m/c. so now i really don't know. i am still taking it, though.

i had another blood clotting test done last week and it again came back normal.

my doc said the baby aspirin is just one of those things that may or may not help, but it doesn't hurt to try. there are some people who really have a reason to take it.
October 2nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
EricaInOhio's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to EricaInOhio
Antibodies that cause blood clotting including LA and APA fluctuate and can only rise during pg (thought to be my case) so the tests can miss high values if they aren't done right after a m/c. I take the aspirin, but haven't become pg yet to see how it will help. I will also be on lovenox, a much stronger blood thinner that is much more effective, but only warranted in people with diagnosed clotting disorders.

Are you aware of the benefits of babywearing? Visit me at www.carrymemama.com to learn more. "BABIES, BORN TO BE WORN!"

Part time Micro prof., full-time breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing WAHM of 2.
October 4th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm taking it now, mostly for peace of mind. I had one blood clotting test come back abnormal, but then a verification came back normal, so the doc saud to take the aspirin just in case. I think I would take it just in case anyway, even if all of the tests had come back normal. It's so easy to do, and it makes me feel like I'm at least doing one proactive thing to help a pg.

Need Breastfeeding Support?

October 7th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Veteran
Thanks for all your replies. I will ask my dr about it because there is a lot of blood clotting problems in my family (on my mum's side) so I think it may be something worth looking into.

Paula

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search