questions on testing

Forum: Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Super Mommy
hi, i just had a few questions on all of the testing that might be ahead.
1- we had the genetic testing done on our baby, when can i expect to hear anything on that? i was kind of against this with my first loss(16 weeks and my water broke), but its difficult to go through as you all know and if everything turns out ok, i think i want to give this one more shot. dh and i are also getting the genetic testing done.
2- are there any other tests i should ask for? quick update on me since i am new to this board... i have 2 children, 6 and 8. 8 year old ds has developmental delays(learning disability, speech delay and fine motor skills) when he was much younger we had a chromosomal kariotype(sp?) done and it came back fine. now on to me, i am 31 this is my second second trimester loss( first 2 pregnancies were absolutely fine, not one problem) in between those 2 losses i have had 2 very very early miscarriages. i have a clotting disorder- factor v leiden and mthfr-1 gene of both, so i am not in the higher risk group. for this last pregnancy they had me on lovenox inj. as a precaution. i also had gestational diabetes, but now feel that i was diabetic before i became pregnant. this pregnancy(17 week- no heart beat) the dr feels there was perhaps a trisomy disorder, maybe down's syndrome. she has said the chances are only around 1% for this to happen again and from the information that i have read it also says that.

any advice or information would be appreciated, i hate to say that even after doing all of the reading that i have done, i am still clueless. i just don't know what questions i should be asking or if there are specific tests i should be asking for. obsessive cleaning and gathering of all this info is my therapy for now, unfortunately i can't make heads or tails of it.

~Tracy~

October 11th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to kpokorny
Well, I can partially help, we too are in the process of waiting for chromosome testing on the baby we lost a couple of weeks ago, I called the lab last night (at exactly 15 days) and there are still no results. They said that the best chance for the results is probably Friday (18 days) but she also said it still might take a little longer or "might" be earlier... the waiting is killing me.

I had Charlie September 12th of 2005, he did have a chromosome disorder (Trisomy 18, FULL Trisomy... so they also say that is just a "fluke" and nothing to do with the parents) long story but we knew before he was born that he was sick... if you want to PM me, I will be happy to explain the process of learning and testing with him but I don't want to bore anyone with all that if they don't want to know. We've had two losses since Charlie and although my Dr. told me she wasn't worried about any chromosome disorders because my husband and I both have older children from previous marriages that are perfect. As she explained it, you don't just "get" a chromosome disorder, you are born with it, so she doesn't think that will be an issue BUT we have still opted to do the testing to find out what is going on. The baby we lost in March of this year was at 15 weeks, they were suppose to be running the chromosome tests but somehow the tissue samples were lost... then they claimed to have miraculously found them... then they said nothing grew... (I don't think they ever found it, they were just covering their butts when my Dr. called them yelling) Anyway... this go round, I have talked to them almost every day... they are in the process of testing just no results yet. Anyway... I'm rambling but thought I could help with the "time" question. If you want to know anything else, really... do feel free to ask... I've researched and talked to many geneticists the past year and have a ton of information I've gathered in the process.

1st Loss~08/14/00-No EDD
03/10/92-My beautiful daughter Kalina's Birthday!
05/12/94-My beautiful daughter Sierra's Birthday!
2nd Loss at 28 weeks~09/12/05 (Charlie's angel day - Trisomy 18)
3rd Loss at 15 weeks~03/04/06-EDD 08/23/06
4th Loss at 9 1/2 weeks~09/12/06-EDD 04/08/07
5th Loss at 9 1/2 weeks~girl 01/14/08-EDD 07/23/08
6th Loss at 19 weeks~10/04/08 (Joey's angel Day - Cord accident)</div>

<div align="center">

</div>
October 11th, 2006, 07:26 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, Tracy. I'm sorry to have to welcome you to our group, but glad you're here. I think you'll find this to be an amazing place for support and information.

The time frame for results from genetic testing on the baby you lost will depend on the lab. I had genetic testing done on the second baby we lost. It took one week for preliminary results and just under two weeks for complete results. Doc chose this particular lab because they are thorough and quick to report. He said others can take much longer. We lost that little boy to trisomy 16, and doc suspects that was the cause of our first loss as well.

As for the other tests, I don't have any info for you. But we do have several other members who can provide extensive information on their testing. Most of them are evening posters, so keep checking back for updates. I believe there is a sticky here about testing that you might want to check out. And in our subforum, TTC after recurrent loss, you may find information about testing there as well.

Please make yourself at home and ask away.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search