Joining In!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello!
This is my 2nd pregnancy and we're due September 5th with boy #2. Due to insurance reasons we are going to birth at a hospital here in Dallas but I specifically chose one that is known to work well with natural births. I did a ton of research before we got preggo and found a doctor who is an OB/GYN but loves to help women labor naturally!

With my first son, we used a midwife but due to back issues before labor and my fears, we ended up at a hospital nearby. Honestly, I enjoyed the staff there (it was a little 2 story hospital and everyone was friendly) but there are some things that I want differently this time.

My concern with this baby is that I'm afraid I'll chicken out at the end and ask for meds. As natural-birth friendly as my doc might be, its not really her job description to be my labor support person (and I know DH well enough that if I ask for meds, he'll make them give it ) I'm currently looking into hiring a doula but not sure if we can afford it yet. We'll see!

Nice to meet you all!

Our newest addition, Caleb Alexander! Born September 2nd, 9 pounds and 2oz!
Big brother Ethan is now 2 years old!
May 6th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Welcome to the board! What's your name? I'm Cindy, mommy to Bryson, 6 months. I look forward to getting to know you over the coming months. I hope you stick around! Are you taking an natural birthing classes or doing any programs to prepare yourself? Try not to worry too much. You can do it if you put your mind to it!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

May 6th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh My name is Candi, wife to Keith, and mommy to Ethan. I'm not taking classes at the moment but I'm looking into doulas who offer them and the bradley ones. I do still have all of the handouts from my midwife childbirth classes, and I'll probably be reading and rereading those!

Our newest addition, Caleb Alexander! Born September 2nd, 9 pounds and 2oz!
Big brother Ethan is now 2 years old!
May 6th, 2008, 10:53 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Candi! Welcome to the Board. I'm Shauna hoping for my first BFP soon.
May 6th, 2008, 11:35 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Welcome!!! I'm Renee. One thing you might want to look in to is a student doula. A friend of mine studied to be a doula and I think it was 3 births she had to attend before getting paid. She was going to attend mine but ended up being out of town when I went in to labor. That way you would have the support of a doula without the cost. Maybe try asking doulas in your area if they know of any students. Also, if there are free LeLeche League meetings in your area try going to one. Someone there may know of a student doula.
GL!!! I hope you get the birth you want!!!

May 6th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Bre+Will=Reid
Hey Candi, nice to see you over here! If I end up at the hospital, I have told my DH and mom that even if I ask for pain meds, tell me no. I told DH that he is more than welcome to lie to me "The anestesiologist won't be here in time!" etc. haha. He knows how badly I want a natural birth, yet I do fear that I will want to "give in" in the heat of labor. That is one of my biggest concerns, so I need a strong support system and I don't want meds offered to me at all, no matter what!

We're looking into a birth center, so that would make the temptation for pain meds dwindle severely. We would have to transfer if I really wanted them!
May 6th, 2008, 03:48 PM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I'm new here, too! Good Luck finding a good doula! I'm sure that would help a lot!

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008
May 7th, 2008, 08:01 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Hi Candi, welcome!! Congrats on your second boy! Natural birth CAN be done in a hospital, I did it. I have a pre-existing back condition that acted up during my labor, it was pretty bad. You should talk to your DR ahead of time about saline injections you can get in the bottom of your back to help relieve back issues if they come up. I did ask for it during my birth but somehow never got them. Still irks me to this day. It stings to get it done, but it works really well. MY girlfriend had actual back labor in a birthing center and they gave her the saline, which is how I found out about it. Next time I will make sure this is ready to go in case I need it.

I had a doula and let me tell you, she was a godsend. I made it through because of her, my nurse was just terrible. I focused on Lesley and practically nothing else. It was great because we took our classes in her home with one other couple, so we had a good relationship with her before the birth. If you can find classes with a Doula I highly recommend them. It was so nice.

I didn't realize one could do a student Doula, what a great option. You learn something new every day!
May 7th, 2008, 10:25 AM
noworries
Welcome and congrats!!!
I had my natural birth in a hospital and it was a really great experience. I was able to labor in the jacuzzi tub and on a birthing ball. I had a nurse who was really pro NCB. When you get to the hospital to deliver you can ask if there are any nurses on who have more experience with NCB or are pro NCB and request them.
When I was in labor, the thought of meds never crossed my mind. The thought "I can't do this anymore" did cross my mind a time or two though. Luckily my nurse was awesome and so was my husband when I needed it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search