Joining you

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I thought I would introduce myself since I'd like to stick around here now that I've discovered this forum. I'm Andrea (24), married for almost 4 years and the mom to Abigail, who is 21 months. I am pregnant with our second child, due in December.
I had a partial natural birth with my daughter (some of you may have heard my story, so you can ignore me ). A rundown of my birth story: I had a few contractions shortly after midnight on my due date and my water broke. My contractions started steadily and I was finally admitted around 4am. I knew that I would have to deal with the pain until I could get an epidural, so I used the techniques I had learned to work through the contractions. I assumed at the time that I had at least 15-20 hours left to go and since I was very sleep deprived, I convinced myself I needed and epi. I asked for it when I was admitted and was told they were busy and it could be a few hours. A few hours later, my contractions were very strong and boy was I thankful to see the anesthesiologist walk into the room! I assumed I had at least another 10 hours of this, and if the pain was this bad already, I didn't know if I could handle it until the end. Much did I know, but I was fully dialated already. As soon as they set me on my side after putting the epidural in, I had to push. I swear a few nurses even snickered when I said that, what first time mom has a 7-8 hour labor? Sure enough, when they checked me, they realized I was 10cm and ready to push. It makes me regret not speaking up for myself and asking that I be checked before the epidural was in. It was a blessing in disguise in some ways, because they required 2 rounds of antibiotics for GBS and I had only gotten one. The epi slowed things down, so they could get that 2nd round in me, otherwise they would have immediately taken DD to the NICU for antibiotics herself, they told me. I only pushed for about 30 minutes and she was out.
I do reget some things about my pregnancy, labor and delivery altogether and that is why I am making different decisions this time. I am moving in a few months and plan to find a midwife to finish my pregnancy with. I was bounced around from one doctor to another my entire pregnancy, and saw at least 10 in total, so it will be nice to see one person and establish a relationship. (I think I got to know the waiting room better than any of my doctors). I have 3 options, all are still up in the air, but I am leaning more towards a home birth at this point. There is a birth center about 35 minutes from here, which I am in love with, but unless we find a house between where we're DH needs to be and there, then we will be too far away to use it, at least an hour, closer to 1.5 hours. There will be a hospital in the city nearby with several practices of midwives that deliver there and they also offer a waterbirth option, with tubs in each room. I have heard good things about it. I am just a little weary still, because I'm afraid too many interventions will be pushed on me a the hospital and I don't want that. The idea of a home birth is really appealing, because I am in my own environment the whole time. The only disadvantage is the criticism, which I can handle, but I hate getting "that look" everytime I mention it.
I'll be sticking around to read posts and ask a few questions myself. I hope you'll have me

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

May 8th, 2008, 01:25 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Hi Andrea, welcome!! There are some fantastic ladies here! I hope we can help you through this journey. Have you read the thinking women's guide to a better birth? I loved that book so much.

I never got to use the tub at the hospital I was at, something I am still peeved about, but I was in my tub here at home for part of my labor and it was wonderful, water cuts the pain by at least half! My plan for next time is a home water birth.

May 8th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to say welcome!! I love seeing new mommas here!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
May 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Welcome Andrea! I'm Cindy, mommy to Bryson, 6 months. I'm so glad to see you here and hope to see lots more of you over the coming months. Congrats on your pregnancy! I hope you get the birth experience you truly want this time.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

May 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM
noworries
Welcome and congratulations!!!
May 9th, 2008, 01:24 PM
OurSweetLabs's Avatar I LOVE My Boys!!
~*~ Welcome ~*~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search