35 weeks & breech.

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2008, 02:48 PM
mothra's Avatar Martha
well at my last appointment with my midwife, at 34 weeks, the baby appeared to be a "footling breech". she did a vaginal exam and felt a leg. it doesn't seem that the baby has moved at all, there's a super rock hard spot at the top of my uterus that can only be a head. i've been trying all the at-home manuevers i can find, spinningbabies.com was a good resource, i've been doing the inversion and trying the whole ice pack theory and have consulted with my friend who is a doula, apprenticing with a homebirth midwife. the little bugger just won't budge! the midwife said if he hadn't turned by my 37 week appointment that she'd refer me to her back-up doctor to do the external version. from everything i've read, i was under the impression that this technique was a last resort...am i wrong? i'd like to try a chiropractor or acupuncture first. my next appointment with her is on the 20th, it'll be 36 weeks and if he still hasn't moved then i'm gonna talk to her about trying these things first, and hopefully get her approval.

i'm just sort of starting to freak out that it's getting to be too late. my belly seems really tight and hard, i can't imagine it's relaxed enough for him to actually be able to move even if he wants to. i've heard lots of people say that babies can turn at any time, even in labor. but i'm worried they won't let me go into labor if he doesn't move soon. unfortunately the midwife and her back-up don't deliver breechs, so it would be a c-section. i went through all kinds of stress to switch from an OB and find a new hospital and get a midwife so that i could have a better chance of giving birth naturally, and i'm starting to worry it might all be in vain. *sigh*

so does anyone have experience with an external version? or the Webster Technique? i've heard it's very effective, probably moreso than the EV. do you think the chances of him turning on his own in the next week or so are any good?

thanks for any advice ladies, i'm all stressed out over this, which i know isn't helping

May 12th, 2008, 03:53 PM
noworries
I'm sorry I don't have any advice, just wanted to offer
I hope the little guy turns on his own so you can have the NCB that you want.
I would definitely talk about some other options to the version with your midwife (chiro, acupunture, etc.).
Wishing you all the best!
May 13th, 2008, 07:47 AM
itsmenatalie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any experience, but I wanted to let you know we just had a mommie in the May DDC whose baby just turned on his own! It does happen!

May 13th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any words of wisdom, but I do have a question....may sound like a stupid question, sorry! (this is my first baby so I still have lots to learn).

Okay, you said your midwife "did a vaginal exam a felt a leg". Okay, how is this possible? Maybe I'm not familiar with my anatomy enough but.....the uterus is beyond the vagine, closed off by the cervix, right? So how could she go through that to "feel" a leg? Sorry if I sound stupid, I just feel confused!

I'll be praying that baby turns around for you!

~laura
May 13th, 2008, 10:48 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I have an article that I scanned from an old issue of Mothering magazine that is fantastic. It has 11 ways to get the baby to turn, with diagrams. If you want it let me know, I can email it to you.

as far as feeling, midwives are trained to recognize body parts by touch. You can tell these things without u/s, it's just that Ob's would rather use technology. Once you get late in your pregnancy you will understand more, a head feels different than a limb. It's rounder, bigger, limbs are pointy, jut out, move around a lot. That kind of thing. I think you just need to experience it to get it, KWIM?
May 13th, 2008, 03:09 PM
mothra's Avatar Martha
^^yeah she suggested trying a vaginal exam because she knew she'd be able to tell right away if it was a head closest to the cervix or not, and what she felt was a limb instead.

May 14th, 2008, 06:21 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
I have no advice....hope the baby turns for you though. I do know they can turn right up until (I think even during) labor.

May 14th, 2008, 11:32 AM
herewegoagain's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to herewegoagain
I hope that baby turns for you. I know with my first one, I didn't think he had room to turn either but he did two days before being born.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search