Dont know what to do

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2008, 09:38 PM
*~*N*i*c*o*l*e*~*'s Avatar Mommy Since 2006
Hello Ladies

I know I have tons of time to think about this, as Im not very far along. This will be my third child, and my doc is supporitve of me having a vba2c, and I want to go natural.

I have had severe preeclampsia with both pregnancies, but made it further the second time with my second son. I also had gestational diabetes last pregnancy and was told Id HAVE to be induced at 38 weeks. Well at 364d they induced me and my son was born by a forced emergency c section at 36w6d.

Now this time around I dont want to be induced, I want to labour naturally without drugs and have freedom to walk and do whatever I feel is necessary during my labour. Last time I was forced to lie on my back, and labour and it was pure hell. I was told because of the gd i had to have them iv glucose and insulin to me, which is fine, but i dont get why i couldnt walk around during contractions, ivs have wheels. Well to make thing short, ive been thinking.

I am planning on doing my prenatal care, and visits with my doc up until the time he says i need an induction if he tells me I do. Im tempted to stay at home and not go to the hospital for the induction, I plan to stay at home until i start labour on my own, and to labour as far and as long as I can until I know its time to go to the hospital. I was also thinking of trying a midwife to do a home birth, but Im sure Id be considred to high of risk.

If i know my baby is not in serious harm by waiting a bit longer to come out, instead of being induced, am i being selfish and a bad person. I know this may seem silly, but I dont want to endanger the baby, but I also dont want to be forced into a birth I will not enjoy. I feel robbed of my last two experiences, I want this one to go my way, even if its not the way the doctors want. I dontr eally know what to do. Sorry for my confusing vent.

******Thank you Julka for my beautiful siggy******

October 2nd, 2008, 05:07 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Whatever you decide to do, I'd be sure to do plenty of research on the risks and side effects to your baby if you had GD and preeclampsia again. Although some of the risks from the GD may be low, you wouldn't want anything to happen towards the end of your pregnancy.
From everything I have heard and read it can be more difficult to plan a natural pregnancy when those two factors are involved, especially the preeclampsia.
I definitely understand not wanting to be induced; I was induced with my first (DS) and it was a terrible experience...2.5 days of forced labor and very painful as I was kept in the bed.
Educate yourself as much as possible, like you said, you have plenty of time.
Best of luck!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

October 2nd, 2008, 07:07 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I would say start doing things right away to try to prevent GD and PE. I don't know much about prevention of GD, maybe it's not totally impossible to avoid. I do know there are ways to avoid developing PE, pump up your protein a LOT and drink lots of water, keep salt to a minimum. These are things that OB's will not really volunteer, unfortunately docs are taught to react and not to prevent.

I have been doing a lot of reading about VBAC recently. The problems with it don't lie in the actual risk as much as the climate around fear of being sued. In the 80's the belief was that repeat surgery was much more risky and VBAC was being highly suggested. Then all of the sudden everything changed. One of the major reasons was an entire surgical team had to be on call in case of surgery, and insurance companies starting "training" docs to avoid being sued. It's not that the risks became greater, they have stayed the same. Repeat surgery is actually much more dangerous, but those risks are downplayed. If a doc has done a c-section, he or she cannot be accused of not "trying everything". It is so sad.

It can't hurt to start becoming proactive and research your diet options. I would go to the VBAC board here and ask them. My friend Val is a co-host there. They can help you with more details.

But do stick around here too!!
October 2nd, 2008, 08:03 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I agree that you have plenty of time but definitely start educating yourself now on everything you can do. The Brewers Diet can be really helpful to you in preventing PE and hopefully starting that now even will help you in the future. It certainly can't hurt.

Good luck to you and definitely stick around. We'll be here for you through it all!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

October 2nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
*~*N*i*c*o*l*e*~*'s Avatar Mommy Since 2006
thanks girls, im hoping to avoid pe and gd all togheter, ive changed my diet, excersizing regularly to try to keep myself in the best position to avoid those things. I had to take my son to the doc this morning, and he reassured me he is very willing to let me labour even if its induced as he knows how bad i want it. He doesnt think a home birth would be a great option for me this time, just because i havnt delivered vaginally before, he sid if i delivered this one vaginally then it would be alot better for my 4th if i wanted to i could at home.

******Thank you Julka for my beautiful siggy******

October 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I think you're doing a great job and being very conscious this early is such a good start!

I will just say though, in regards to what your doctor said to you, that first time mothers birth at home and they've never had a home birth either. If you are healthy throughout the pregnancy and don't have any risk factors for PE or GD I think you'd be perfectly fine to birth at home.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

October 2nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You may also find a birth center in your area, which may be just as good of an option for a natural birth. I know a history of GD or previous c-sections isn't going to put you completely out of reach for a midwife, but I'm not sure about pre-e. It wouldn't hurt to find some midwives in your area though, and to ask. I know the main focus of my prenatal care is keeping me healthy, through a healthy diet and lifestyle, so I can have a healthy baby and avoid complications. You already have a great start, and I hope you are able to get the birth you want!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

October 6th, 2008, 01:24 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
in my state preE risks you out, and tho avbac can be had at home- a vba2c is much riskier- and many midwives won't take vba2c clients. But you never know till you try. Taking a good class (like bradley) will help, and it sounds like your DR is good.

Also research the bishops score- in case you do need an induction- that can make it a lot easier to do.

hiring a doula can also help- especially if you can find one who has had experience with VBAC clients or GD and preE

October 6th, 2008, 08:24 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Quote:
I want to labour naturally without drugs and have freedom to walk and do whatever I feel is necessary during my labour. Last time I was forced to lie on my back, and labour and it was pure hell. I was told because of the gd i had to have them iv glucose and insulin to me, which is fine, but i dont get why i couldnt walk around during contractions, ivs have wheels.[/b]
just had to say, that i don't get this either, and it angers me! my first birth was too fast, i couldn't have walked around if i had wanted to, but the second took a little bit longer, and since i was GBS+, i had an IV, and was told to stay put~ couldn't even sit up straight.
i believe i would look back on my births in a much more positive light, if i had been "allowed" to move around. no more doctors and ridiculous policies for me, no sir.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search