What do you all think of this?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2008, 08:52 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I am sure everyone has heard about the girls in Mass that all got pregnant, I think it was 18 girls. There was a pact to get preggy and raise the kids together, although it's now being denied. Today they voted to allow birth control to be given through the high school. I heard on NPR that it was available unless parents specify that their child should not have access, although this story says it has to be with parental permission. That's slightly different.

What do you all think?

link to story
October 9th, 2008, 09:42 AM
noworries
I have no problem with school giving out contraceptives but if these girls did choose to get pregnant then this isn't going to effect that from happening. If a girl chooses to get pregnant, she will simply not choose to take the contraceptive from the school. Ultimately I think its the parents job to educate about sex and give contraceptives if needed but a lot of parents don't deal with these things so that leaves the school to deal with them. I don't think a school should hand out contraceptives without parental knowledge though.
October 9th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
^^ I pretty much agree. I'm still in shock that that many girls would want to do this to themselves. I mean having a baby is a beautiful thing but it's not easy. I can't even imagine having a baby in high school!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

October 9th, 2008, 10:51 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
blah! that is horrible! I certainly don't the school system to give my kids the green light to go ahead and screw around.

By the school handing out birth control it takes away all responsibility of the teenagers and the parents.

Terrible idea.

And I find it very odd that you can't send tylenol to school with your kid for a headache or sprained wrist with out written permission, but the school nurse can hand out prescriptions.

umm, yeah, something is wrong there.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

October 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm 100% against schools giving birth control to students, no matter what the circumstances. After learning more about NFP, I have seen what hormonal birth control can do to our bodies. I don't think 15 year olds have the maturity to make the decision to take birth control and know the consequences of what they are doing. I think it also creates a false sense of security. I'll be honest, if I had such easy access to birth control in high school, I would have been a lot more likely to have sex. On the same note, birth control is not 100% effective, even when taken correctly. Many teens are not mature enough to take the pill everyday, and understand that it lowers the effectiveness of it. Even some adults don't understand that.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

October 9th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I got pregnant at 16, so from where I stand I feel like teenagers are going to have sex no matter what (if they want to) and few are going to let lack of access to birth control get in the way.

I DO agree that hormonal BC isn't for everyone. It sends me into DEEP depression. It took me several bouts to learn that. I lost a lot of years.

I doubt though that they are handing out pills, probably condoms. And I think condoms should be available at schools, no questions asked. I understand all the arguments against it, but I think that is just wishful thinking. Hormones are rampant in teens. Mother nature made it that way, and it seems to be like a waste of energy trying to block it.

October 9th, 2008, 01:32 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that they should be able to hand out condoms- but not the pill.... I am super against hormonal birth control now- It's so harmful. I feel so much better since quitting.

But I started having sex at 15, and I know that that is just what teens do. About 80% of my school was sexually active, and I know that it's just realistic that teens are having sex. Lets help them at least to protect themselves.

I don't think any of that would have changed those girls' minds tho- there have to be lots of underlying problems with them.

October 9th, 2008, 02:43 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I think girls (and boys) should have access to birth control without parental permission. I went to the free clinic when I was 16 and got on the pill BEFORE I started having sex, and without my parents knowledge. Then I told all my friends and they got on the pill too...and none of us got pregnant during high school!

I'll probably ask my daughter if she wants to go on the pill when she gets to high school or has her first 'serious' boyfriend, because I would much rather take precautions if she does decide to have sex at a young age like I did rather than have her end up pregnant.
October 9th, 2008, 03:02 PM
noworries
When I said before that I thought it was okay for school to hand out contraceptives, I was speaking of condoms. I don't think a school should hand out the pill.
October 9th, 2008, 07:39 PM
kmac's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hahah....that was in my hometown. i know a lot about the situation, not only from the news, but because my whole family still lives there (always has) and my high school friends mostly live there also. my mom also works in the school system there as a school nurse, and a lot of the teachers and administrators are either family or friends of family.......

anyway...knowing what i know about gloucester from having grown up there, i think this is great. the town is mostly catholic and most of the italian catholic families dont believe in birth control and wont allow for it...wont even talk about it. aside from that, this is technically an island. its not like a lot of places where if the girls wanted birth control they can go to a planned parenthood or something to get it. you have to go to one of the in town gyno's (who is probably your mom's gyno, or will at least know your mom, if they arent friends) and get it there. most girls wont do that. i know i didnt. heck, even buying condoms there is impossible because you are bound to run into someone your parents know. i know that if kids are having sex, then they should be able to deal with that stuff....but thats just not the way it is. there is a mentality there where no one ever leaves town. seriously...its weird. people dont go "out of town" there...or if they do, its a special trip. its island mentality and the rest of the world doesnt really exist. there arent buses to go out of town... there is a train but one would have to be really motivated to get on the train and try to figure out where the heck a planned parenthood or similar clinic is (maybe boston?? i dont know).

that all being said...i dont really think these girls made a pact. maybe a couple did, but it definitely wasnt all 18. the main reason why i dont think they made a pact is because sex is what the kids do in that town. i have always said that although gloucester is beautiful, there isnt anything to do there except have sex and do heroin (easier to find there than marijuana due to the fishing industry).

also...while 18 girls may seem like a lot, this story wasnt widely publicized until the idea of a "pact" came out....then it took off. there are many areas that actually have way more teen pregnancies. nearby lynn massachusetts had 77 pregnant teens in their high school. but no one cares about lynn because it is a crummy city and no one mentioned anything about a "pact".

but anyway....i'm glad they did this. i think it will be good for the kids and the town.

not that this says anything much different, but this is a link to the gloucester daily times, which is our local newpaper. the other link, while it does state pretty much the same thing, is from rhode island... so if you want to follow the story, you will prolly find otu more here...

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/breakingnew..._283134350.html
October 10th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Thank you so much for sharing all the info you have on Gloucester, Kristin. I know in MA there are a ton of Irish/Italian Catholics in general so I'm not surprised what you said about them not dealing with the fact that teens have sex.

Sex among teenagers will happen no matter what. If they want to have sex they will. Teens always find a way. I know I did. I had great parents who were very loving but let's face it, most parents don't REALLY talk to their children about sex and even when they do they just tell them not to do it. That doesn't solve anything. There is an urge to have sex and it's extremely hard to fight when hormones are out of control at that age. The few who do wait until college or even marriage are far and few between. Most teens do not and will not feel comfortable going to their parents for contraceptives because they know their parents will tell them no so most end up going without any protection at all and THAT is the dangerous part. Sure condoms and the pill are neither 100% effective but it's better than nothing at all. Heck, if my child were going to have sex and didn't feel comfortable asking me for condoms or the pill I'd absolutely hope they'd have the sense to get them from somewhere else. Although, I would prefer that they talk to me first.

Oh and I completely agree about the pill. I will never be taking the pill again. It's so not good for your body and changes so much! Yuck!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

October 10th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I do think it'd be great if the nurse or someone would teach all these girls NFP/FAM... I know I'll be teaching my daughters to understand their bodies and their cycles. I think young girls should also use condoms- I think everyone should use condoms unless they're REALLY serious, tested, and probably married- or on they way there.

But IMO- BC is a last resort for me. I also thing BC promotes STI sharing- so many people think if they're on the pill then they don't need to use a barrier as well.

October 12th, 2008, 07:21 PM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Schools should absolutely NOTTTTTTTT be involved in giving out birth control! Give the RESPONSIBILITY back to the PARENTS!!!!! Good God, what is this country coming to????

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

October 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I doubt if those girls are responsible enough to use NFP. Plus teenagers make impulse decisions and if the girl just happens to be ovulating and they don't have a condom that might not be enough to stop them.

I do think teaching NFP is a good idea if only to help them understand their bodies more! Sometimes it shocks and amazes me how little teenage girls know about how things work down there!
October 12th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I do think it'd be great if the nurse or someone would teach all these girls NFP/FAM... I know I'll be teaching my daughters to understand their bodies and their cycles. I think young girls should also use condoms- I think everyone should use condoms unless they're REALLY serious, tested, and probably married- or on they way there.

But IMO- BC is a last resort for me. I also thing BC promotes STI sharing- so many people think if they're on the pill then they don't need to use a barrier as well.[/b]
I completely agree. I think condoms should be promoted to teens far more than hormonal birth control, for my reasons stated above. I wish NFP was taught to more females though, there is so little we actually know about our bodies! I was never taught more than every woman gets a period once a month and you ovulate to get pregnant. There's so much that is left out of that picture. I will teach my daughters everything I know, because I think it's important that they know what is going on with thier bodies. I want them to also fully understand the effect that hormonal birth control can have on thier bodies if they decide to take it.
I also agree, teens will have sex, and sometimes having a condom available isn't even enough to stop them (Altough the importance of condoms should be stressed to teens, especially when having sex with someone that you don't know thier sexual history). As for the pact, I have found the whole thing silly. I doubt all of those girls were involved in making a pact to get pregnant and I think it was more publicity playing up the story. I don't know if making the pill available to girls will or would have changed the outcome.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

October 13th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
In the case with the girls making the "pregnancy pact" I really don't think that birth control would have made any difference. They had their mind set up that they wanted to get pregnant. What the school should be teaching is that having a baby is not easy and not a decision that should be taken lightly. I had to carry around a crying doll for a week when I was in high school to teach me that having a baby is not an easy task.

I definitely agree that condoms should be made available within the school system. Let's face it, kids are going to have sex. They should be educated about appropriate protection to prevent not only pregnancy, but also STDs. I believe 100% that this should be the parent's responsibility. But let's face it, some parents just aren't going to do it. My mom always thought that I was an "angel" in high school and that she had no need to have the sex talk with me. Well, at 16 I went to the gynecologist and got on birth control before I started having sex. I didn't need parental permission. Not all kids are going to go to their parents and be open and honest about it. Like I said, my mom thought I was an angel. I sure wasn't about to go to her and tell her I was having sex. Some parents just aren't going to do it even though they should, so I do think that it is good for the schools to educate children.

At 26, I definitely think that NFP is a better choice than the pill, but at 16, there is no way that I would have relied on it. My cycles were very irregular, and like Katie mentioned....I'm pretty sure I wasn't mature enough to handle that method at 16, because most times sex was impulsive. I knew that the pill would only prevent pregnancy, and that we needed to use condoms to prevent STDs.

I do not think that schools should be dispensing hormonal birth control, but I do believe that teens should have access to it through a licensed physician. I would like to think that when I have a teenage daughter that she would be open and honest with me, but if not, I want to know that she has access to the protection she needs.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
October 13th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I guess this leads me to a follow up question.....................not school related. BUT if a 16 year old girl gets access to birth control say, through a clinic , without parental consent, what (if anything) is so bad about that? Especially if she uses it and prevents pregnancy?

October 13th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I guess this leads me to a follow up question.....................not school related. BUT if a 16 year old girl gets access to birth control say, through a clinic , without parental consent, what (if anything) is so bad about that? Especially if she uses it and prevents pregnancy?[/b]
I don't personally see anything wrong with it. Maybe because that's what I did when I was 16.

I didn't have a great relationship with my mom at the time, she had cheated on my dad and my parents were in the process of a messy divorce. She thought I was the angel child and I sure wasn't about to lose all my freedom by telling her I was going to or that I was having sex. But I had a few friends in school who had babies or were pregnant, in fact one of my best friends was 8 months pregnant when we graduated. I just knew that I DID NOT want to be like them. And for me that meant going to an OB/GYN and getting on the pill. My doctor educated me on how to take it properly, the side effects, etc. And I didn't get pregnant. Even though I almost always used condoms, I definitely think that the chance of me getting pregnant had I not had access to the pill would have been greater.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
October 14th, 2008, 05:37 AM
I did it to (got the pill without my parents knowledge), and I don't think it's wrong- but I wish I had had more education. I wish someone at that clinic had sat me down, and talked to me about sex- conveyed to me my worth, spoke to me about side effects- I wish there was a lot more education in that whole process....

October 15th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
I found this so interesting especially went it all went down. I live in the Boston area (a few miles from the city), and I was so shocked to hear about all of this!!!

But, as far as Birth Control I think it is not right to be handing it out left and right as if it is candy, because I think it is truly EDUCATION that is most important in this situation. Wether they take it or not is up to the student. But, the Birth Control Pill is a big step in life and I def. think it should be taken seriously as there are side effects to them that could cause serious problems.

So, what I think is key is education from parents and the school. If they want to hand this out they need to provide education about it. Education about the side effects and education about the mere fact it does not protect against HIV/STD'S. Being a nurse and working in an ED I have found that many teenagers forget that the BCP does not protect them against diseases/viruses. As far as handing out condoms I am more for it, because it is not a hormone and has less side effects than the BCPill.

However, I believe it is very important that once educated about Birth Control, Pill, Condoms, Shots, etc.... it is pertinent to have free local clinics the teenagers can have access to. The students just need to know where to go and how to get!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search