Need some natural ideas

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
At my appointment today the midwife said she believes I have a bacterial infection and gave me a prescription for metronidazole, which I have some concerns about taking because the old guidelines for it say to clearly not take it while breastfeeding and while in the first trimester of pregnancy, both of which I am. So after discussing it with her we decided I am not going to take the medication and am going to try to remedy this naturally over the next few weeks. She said yogurt, supplements and washing the outside with peroxide may help so I'm going to do all of that.

Is there anything else I can do to help? I really don't want to take a medication that may or may not be adversely affecting both of my babies.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

October 10th, 2008, 03:18 PM
noworries
So was everything else good besides the bacterial infection?
Definitely eat yogurt....it has live acidophilus cultures in it that help (you can also take acidophilus supplements). Also you can eat brown rice and oat bran. Try to stay away from sugar as it feeds bacteria. You can also take 1-2 garlic supplements a day until the symptoms subside. Garlic has many antibacterial and antifungal attributes. And drink cranberry juice.
October 10th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Yes it looks like everything is ok so I'm very happy for that!

I am going to do everything you've said. Thank you!!

October 10th, 2008, 05:33 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
she said exactly what I'd reccomend

October 11th, 2008, 07:07 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I'm taking that right now because I had an abcessed tooth, but both my dentist and OB said you shouldn't take it during the 1st trimester!

Make sure if you do the cranberry juice thing you get unsweetened juice, or you can get it in capsule form. Extra sugar from juice would only add to your problem. And I have also heard about garlic working really well. Good luck!
October 11th, 2008, 07:22 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
stock up on thre y0babys!!

feel better soon honey, and good for you for not just taking what she tried to give you. sheesh, docs sometimes. why do things the natural way when you can just write a script? UGH.
October 11th, 2008, 02:37 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
I don't know if any of this will help you Cindy but I found this site that has home remedies for a bunch of stuff including Vaginitis...

Heres the link.

October 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
Goldenseal is suppose to be very good for this. I bought some goldenseal powder today to use on the baby's umbilical cord to prevent infection. I've read that you can make a douche out of goldenseal powder. You should be able to find it at a health food store.

Here is a good link.

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_goldenseal.htm

October 12th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Thanks so much ladies! My midwife actually mentioned the goldenseal but said it's controversial to use during pregnancy so I think I'll stay away from it for now. I am drinking 4 oz of pure, unsweetened cranberry juice a day, taking two garlic supplements totaling 1250 mg and eating something with at least garlic clove in it, cleansing myself after each bathroom trip with peroxide externally, eating at least one yogurt each day and eating brown rice and oat bran in some way each day. Today DH is going to make a homemade pizza with tons of garlic on it and I'd like to go to our local natural health store to see what they can tell me. I think I'm covering pretty much all of my bases. I so hope this works!

October 12th, 2008, 07:37 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
sounds good

October 12th, 2008, 08:07 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
GO YOU!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search