Freebirthing

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2008, 06:23 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just saw a commercial for it and set it up to record. Wanted to share!

Freebirthing

October 16th, 2008, 06:47 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been seeing the commericals for a couple weeks now in our area. I will probably watch it, but because I had a bad experience with my son, I think I'd always want to have a midwife with me or access to immediate medical care in case something were to go wrong.

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

October 16th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'll watch it but I just can't imagine not having a midwife or someone there! I think I would be worried to death otherwise.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
October 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally would not do an unassisted birth but would not judge someone who chooses to for themselves if they are well trained. I believe to be responsible you would have to study like a doctor/midwife so you would know how to handle any emergency situations. I've read of doctors and nurses doing this and it seems like a great scenario for them. But it would be scary for someone with no real birth knowledge to attempt this.
October 16th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't want to do unassisted either. Even if you know about birth, I'd think you'd be a little preoccupied and physically unable to deal with a problem on your own. I can't imagine not wanting to have the support of another woman there, either.

But it should be an interesting show!

October 16th, 2008, 04:32 PM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I personally would not do an unassisted birth but would not judge someone who chooses to for themselves if they are well trained. I believe to be responsible you would have to study like a doctor/midwife so you would know how to handle any emergency situations. I've read of doctors and nurses doing this and it seems like a great scenario for them. But it would be scary for someone with no real birth knowledge to attempt this.[/b]
Absolutely! I wasn't meaning to come off as judging them at all. People had babies without doctors years before we were ever on this earth. I think it's just the same as some women going natural and others preferring the epidural, etc. All just a matter of personal choice. I'd definitely be interested in hearing about some freebirthing experiences just because I love to soak up whatever I can and, like I said, will watch the show.

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

October 16th, 2008, 05:08 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Every single birth professional I know- myself included would never do this----- There is something I once heard, I cannot recall where, but it is so true.... birth is a miracle- it is the moment between life and death. And I think that is so true....

October 16th, 2008, 05:33 PM
BabsMitchell's Avatar Veteran
I have often wondered what it would be like to have a free birth, but I'd be way too scared! The only way it would happen for me is under extraordinary circumstances where my midwife wasn't able to make it in time. I wouldn't elect to have a free birth, though I enjoy reading about it.

October 16th, 2008, 05:42 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I wouldn't want to do it, I just like the idea of having a midwife with me for support, and of course cleanup afterwards lol!!! I'm definitely going to watch the show though, I think it's awesome that they're finally showing other aspects of childbirth besides the hospital/epidural/planned c section crap that they always show.
October 16th, 2008, 09:55 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
My mom had two, although both by accident. She has REALLY fast labors and deliveries. I was there for one. The other I was only 3 and asleep. For the second I tried to go get our neighbor, who is a nurse, but she was out of town. Fortunately everything went fine. Should be interesting! If I remember I will be watching.

October 16th, 2008, 11:32 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Id totally do it. I honestly believe (based on more than just my "beliefs") that my chances are better at home with myself (myself being educated of course) than they are in a hospital.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
October 17th, 2008, 08:18 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I REALLY want to see this! But unassisted isn't for me.
October 17th, 2008, 09:16 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope that they don't twist this show into how dangerous and stupid of a decision this is.... I can totally see them doing that tho.... just b/c it'll get better ratings.

October 17th, 2008, 11:33 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lala, you are totally the person who I could see having a successful freebirth. But as you said, you are very knowledgeable.
October 17th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I guess I just don't understand why you wouldn't want a midwife there. Hasn't it been standard throughout human history to have one, or the other women of your family/tribe with you, and their experience at your disposal? Unless, of course, circumstances prevent others from being there. Well, maybe the show will enlighten me.

October 17th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyInWaiting Send a message via MSN to LadyInWaiting
I am totally stoked about this show. Freebirthing interests me so much. I wouldn't ever do it but I really want to see this

October 26th, 2008, 11:29 AM
whodatmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
first off, uc is not for me. I know what laborland is like and I personally want a midwife with me. I did watch the show and found it to be mostly interesting. The Colorado couple frightened me though. She risked hemmoraging because she wasn't sure of the position of the placenta and did you see them cut the baby's cord!? The husband simply washed some scissors in the sink and then they tied it with a shoe string. I mean, come on! If you are gonna have a uc at the very least invest in some sterile equipment. The chick then sat there for several hours with the placenta inside. Talk about risking infection at every turn. I had a hard time not judging that couple harshly. The other ucs were beautiful to watch. Especially the one born in the tub. So peaceful. Still personally need a midwife, but I can see why some do it uc.

October 26th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just finished the show and overall thought it was pretty good. I definitely agree about the Colorado couple. If I were EVER (not that I can ever imagine doing this) going to attempt a freebirth I for darn sure would have at least had proper prenatal care prior to it! Reading things on the Internet and buying supplies off eBay doesn't make you qualified to assess prenatal complications like the low lying placenta. Even if I wanted to be the one to deliver the child with my SO, I would make sure that there was at least a midwife present so that if something did go wrong with me or baby that there would be a trained professional who could handle the emergency.

Life As We Know It
October 26th, 2008, 05:00 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
darn it I totally forgot to watch it!!!!!!!!!!!
October 26th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had totally forgotten too. I recorded it when it came on yesterday morning. I checked the website and it's not listed for another airtime but I'm sure it will be. That station replays the same things over and over and over. Here's the LINK for it...just keep checking.

Life As We Know It

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search