Dental Cleanings

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2008, 10:58 AM
BabsMitchell's Avatar Veteran
Before trying to conceive I made sure to have any necessary dental work done. At the end of May I had some work done and scheduled my 6 month cleaning for mid-November. I got pregnant in July. While my teeth and gums feel fine, I'm wondering if I should forgo the cleaning until after the birth. I've read that it's considered safe to have your teeth cleaned and that it's a good idea due to teeth/gum problems that some pregnant women face. But the 'go-natural' voice inside of me says not to worry about it if I'm not having any problems. To be honest I wasn't having any problems before the pregnancy either. They simply took x-rays, saw no signs of decay and ended with a routine cleaning.

What do you think about routine dental cleanings if no problems are present? No big deal, have it done? Or don't worry about it until after giving birth?

October 16th, 2008, 12:57 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I had mine done twice, it IS very important, just don't do xrays again!
October 16th, 2008, 03:22 PM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was due for a cleaning a few weeks ago but my dentist's office will not clean your teeth during the first trimester so I'll be going next week now that I'm into my 2nd.

It is imperative to take good care of your teeth while pregnant!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

October 16th, 2008, 04:15 PM
BabsMitchell's Avatar Veteran
Thank you both for your input! Since I'll be in my second trimester it shouldn't be a problem. I had read that if you can avoid going to the dentist while pregnant..then to do so. I take good care of my teeth, brush twice a day and floss every day. I'll let the dentist office know that I am pregnant when I go in for my cleaning. I know better than to get any x-rays. That's why I made sure to have my dentist check for problems before I tried to conceive.

One worry I have about the whole dental issue is fluoride. I have been avoiding fluoride for a while now, and especially after I read that it can interfere with how the placenta is attached to the uterus. This is a concern of mine because of the Rh factor, I'm O Negative and DH AB Positive. I'll let the hygienist know that I wish to avoid fluoride exposure. I bought some fluoride-free toothpaste a few weeks ago. It actually does a great job at cleaning my teeth and leaving a nice minty taste in my mouth. I'm curious to see how my dentist will feel about that.

October 16th, 2008, 04:36 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Fluoride is actually a toxic chemical and not as great as we are all made to believe. Moms that have fluoridated water are not supposed to use it to mix formula. It ruins the enamel. So you're smart to want to avoid it!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search