Great Insights From My Midwife

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
littlebabydolly
At my midwife appointment today she told me the birth story of a lady who gave birth this weekend. She said she started out labor very early in the morning. She thought she was deep in labor but my midwife watched and saw she wasn't having contractions when the mommy thought she was. She thought ever little pain was a contraction which might have just been the baby moving. She was very fussy early in labor when she wasn't even starting to progress at all. My midwife came and checked on her but left for the day to give her some time.

Hours later, contractions were up to 2 min. apart. She was incredibly focused and working great through labor. Her contractions were nearly silent and she just stared into her husbands eyes to work through them while breathing gently but deeply. She only grunted and moaned the last half hour of pushing. She had the baby at 6pm.

Now that baby is born, she flinches at breast feeding pains.

The interesting insight from my midwife was that she couldn't handle the little pains but she worked just like a pro through the biggest pain of her life, labor. I find this valuable because an excuse I often hear from women why they want the drugs and epidural is that they have no tolerance to pain. You might come to think that from the little pains in your life but it doesn't mean you won't be able to handle a natural birth. It gives me extra confidence so I wanted to share this.
October 22nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Thanks for sharing. I love hearing any story about a successful NCB.

Come visit my blog!
October 22nd, 2008, 06:30 PM
MamaBx3
Thanks for sharing!
October 22nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
true, like how a paper cut or a hangnail can be torture!!
October 22nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
it's soooo true! Labor pain is just different. it's not like a broken arm, or a cut or even cramps. It has a purpose and goal and an end in sight. It's a totally different experience!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

October 22nd, 2008, 10:40 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
True, I am such a woose about pain, but labor is so different.
October 23rd, 2008, 06:25 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's kind of similar to how my labor with DD was. In the beginning I thought oh man I am in for a ride, but as I got further along in my labor it was easier to focus and it wasn't really painful anymore at all.

THanks for sharing!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

October 23rd, 2008, 09:30 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing that. It goes to show that when you focus and concentrate on what you have to do, you can do it. Your mind, your emotions play such a huge role in how you handle things.
October 24th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
That really is true! I thought when I was in transition that there was no way I was going to make it through the rest of labor but once it came time to push I was able to focus all of my energy on that and I honestly don't even remember there being pain during pushing other than the ring of fire. Thank you for sharing!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

October 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Jen84's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow that is amazing! I am a newbie to this area of JM, but really want to learn as much about this as possible before I conceive. Thanks for sharing !!!

Cycle #21
Roses are red,
so is your period.
Happy Valentine's Day girls!
..::Journal::...................:ictures::..

lilygirl <3
</div>
October 30th, 2008, 01:26 PM
~Jackie
That's true in a lot of aspects of life. Such as: I'm a wuss for sticking up for myself, but the Mama Bear comes out when it needs to for the defense of my family's lifestyle/parenting.
October 30th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
That's true, thanks for sharing!

October 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
"Such as: I'm a wuss for sticking up for myself, but the Mama Bear comes out when it needs to for the defense of my family's lifestyle/parenting."

I am SUCH a mama bear!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search