Court ordered c-sections?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 28th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I have been reading "Pushed" by Jennifer Block for a few months now and I'm almost finished with it. I honestly thought I couldn't get any angrier over the things I was learning but my reading last night proved me wrong. She cited specific examples where women were court ordered to have a c-section when they truly wanted a VBAC. One woman labored at home for days before going into the hospital for dehydration. All she wanted a VBAC but they refused her IV fluids until she signed paperwork saying she would consent to the c-section. She refused and two nurses, after reviewing her chart and realizing there was no medical reason to force her into another c-section helped her and her husband to escape the hospital. They then came to her house with a court order and police officers. They tied her to the stretcher so she could not get away again and gave her the c-section against her will. This was in Tallahassee, FL. Another woman arrived at a hospital in Wilkes-Barre, PA was told that her baby was too large and would never fit and even though her previous six children were large, one 12 lb 4 oz and born vaginally, the hospital refused to allow her to birth vaginally and began the process of getting a court order to force her into a c-section. They drove to two different hospitals before finding one that allowed her to birth vaginally. Her baby weighed 11 lb 9 oz and was perfectly healthy.

And I find just as wrong that many insurance companies for OB's will no longer even cover VBAC's, further forcing them to refuse women the right to vaginal deliveries.

I am so outraged by this that I don't even know what to think! Just wow.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

October 28th, 2008, 12:01 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
That is pretty outrageous. I know most of the hospitals around here no longer due VBACs due to malpractice. It's hard enough to even find an ob/gyn in PA anymore. The malpractice in this state is astronomical. There was a local hospital in Philly that just closed it's maternity wing and they had a whole midwife practice there and really emphasized NCB When i called to make my appt at the birth center for a June baby, they were already booked thru April deliveries!

October 28th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
It's HORRIBLE! I dont' remember where, but I read a story about a woman who was court ordered to have a cesarean and she DIED!

IMO court ordering a cesarean is along the same lines as forcing someone to have an abortion, which happens also. No one should have a right to force another person into an involuntary medical procedure.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

October 28th, 2008, 12:43 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Wow..... just when I thought I heard it all. Amazing.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twins!!!

October 28th, 2008, 01:44 PM
noworries
You've got to be kidding me....just when you think you've heard it all.
October 28th, 2008, 02:46 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Right now I'm focusing on only positive thinking, due to my hypnobabies. But when Shim is out, I'm reading that book! I just don't want to get fired up right now. I know I'll get really ticked reading that.

Come visit my blog!
October 28th, 2008, 03:23 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
oh yes, seriously, don't read pushed while pregnant! smart cookie!!

So I just got through all that in the book too and it's just horrrific. No other way to describe it.
October 28th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
That's really depressing. If I am ######ed with a c-section this time around, this may be my only child. Doctors are so scared of being sued it's nuts. Decisions brought on by fear is the problem. Doctors are thinking of themselves and not of the patient.

October 29th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That's absolutely ridiculous. I would think that there would be some recourse behind that. Or at least, I would hope there would be.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
October 29th, 2008, 07:34 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is so sad- it really is horrifying to think of. I read that book- and it seriously makes me angry on so many levels.

I'm so glad midwives here can still do VBACs.

October 29th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I really thought you were kidding by the title of your thread. It's so sad to see that women are being forced into things like that. What is this world coming to?

Expecting baby #4!

October 29th, 2008, 09:53 AM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
Oh my gosh that makes me so mad!! I don't know what I would do if something like that ever happened to me!

October 29th, 2008, 10:24 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK, why don't we just declare the country communist and get it over with? The words 'justice system' are becoming laughable.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

October 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I would retreat to my bunker and have an unassisted birth LOL!

Seriously, holy crap. How can it be legal to tie a woman down to a stretcher and force her to have a c section? Things like this make me SOOOOO glad I decided to have a home birth. If I get investigated by CPS because of it then whatever but I'm not going to the hospital.
October 30th, 2008, 01:08 PM
~Jackie
Things like this terrify me which is precisely why I'm having a homebirth. LOL! Absolutely horrible. I agree that it's no different than forcing a women to or not to have an abortion. Womens body Womens choice!
October 30th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I found an article online about this and they had a really good comparison. No one can force you to donate a kidney, bone marrow or blood even if someone might die because of it. And they can't charge you with murder for not doing it.

there was a story of a woman pregnant with twins. She had low amniotic fluid and doctors told her she needed a cesarean. She refused. 2 days later she changed her mind and had the cesarean. One of the twins was stillborn. They charged her with murder and she was put in jail. They later reduced the sentence to child endangerment or something and she was released on probation.

it's awful!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 1st, 2008, 07:29 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I found an article online about this and they had a really good comparison. No one can force you to donate a kidney, bone marrow or blood even if someone might die because of it. And they can't charge you with murder for not doing it.

there was a story of a woman pregnant with twins. She had low amniotic fluid and doctors told her she needed a cesarean. She refused. 2 days later she changed her mind and had the cesarean. One of the twins was stillborn. They charged her with murder and she was put in jail. They later reduced the sentence to child endangerment or something and she was released on probation.

it's awful![/b]

oh- and they can't charge murder b/c you need a dealth certificate for there to have been a murder, and you need a birth certificate to get a death certificate....

I personally feel it is wrong for her to be charged with anything.

November 2nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
wow cross that off of books to read. I think I would get so mad it I might break my window throwing it

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search