altering hospital admission form?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 29th, 2008, 04:23 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
Has anyone here tried to alter their hospital's admission form or add their own form into their chart?

I have been told by several sources that doctors and nurses don't legally need your permission for any procedure once you're checked in because you already gave consent on your admissions form. I read on another forum that some doulas and midwives encourage the mother to write in ABOVE their admission form signature "Subject to my informed consent AT THE TIME." If the admissions desk won't accept it that way then the mother is supposed to write a note to go in her chart saying "I withdraw my consent to any drugs or procedures for myself or my baby unless you obtain informed consent AT THE TIME."

I like this idea but then again I don't want to start things off on the wrong foot, have myself known as "that ***** in room 16" and then be treated coldly during our stay because of it. But then again I'd like to cover myself legally so that if I'm out of it or DH isn't paying attention, nothing happens that I don't expressly agree to. I know it's a worst case scenario but some of the things I have read and heard are disturbing.

October 29th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I would put the sentence that was suggested at the top of the form(s) and I'm sure they'll still accept that. Also though, I would put a sentence under that saying "Please see attached sheet from patient." or something along those lines and type up something small stating your wishes that way you will have no doubt that your wishes are actually with your chart. I know my OB told me she sent my birth plan to the hospital to be with my chart but when I got there no one had seen it. I think it's better to cover your bases but maybe someone else has experience with this? Either way, I don't think it makes you a B***h. Let us know what you decide and the reaction you get. I'm interested now!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

October 30th, 2008, 09:45 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't reccomend that to my clients at all- b/c I think it does set you off on a bad foot.

I would tell your care providers personally, and very nicely (and by care providers I mean any nurses/medical professinals and OBs who ener your room) "please let me know before you do any procedures or intervetions so I can make an informed decision"

You can refuse consent in labor no matter what you signed- for example if the DR is about to cut an episiotomy you can say DO NOT CUT ME- and they wont.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search