Induction and no epidural?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2008, 09:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello, I am mostly a lurker but I am hoping, wishing, and praying I can deliver without the epidural. I am being induced Sunday night. Question is, is it really that much harder to do it without the epidural if being induced? Everyone seems to think I am even MORE crazy for wanting to attempt no epi since I am being induced. The only person I know who didn't use an epi with induction is my sister, but she was walking around 6cm dilated for weeks before she was induced.

I had my membranes stripped about 2 days ago, and before the strip I was 2cm and 75% effaced.

Any insights, experiences, opinions, etc more then welcome!!

***UPDATE ******

Short birth story

I did it!!!

I went into L&D Nov 2nd at 8:30pm to get induced the following morning. When I got there they gave me cervidil to soften my cervix. Well, the cervidil apparently kick started my labor cause I never needed pitocin! I started contracting every 2-5minutes at 3am. The contractions were all in my lower back so this being my first, I didn't even know I was in labor. I just kept counting in my head during the contractions to keep my mind off of it, and then fell asleep between the contrax. At 730am the nurse came in to check me and I was at a 5cm (I walked into the hospital at 2cm). Contractions were getting stronger but nothing unbearable, I was still laughing between them. 30 minutes later the nurse comes back in to check me and I was at 8cm!! I was so happy because I wanted to go drug free, so knowing I was at 8cm already took alot of weight off my shoulders. I figured, oh I'm at 8cm already...getting to 10cm will be fast! Yeah right! At 8cm the nurse broke my water and thats when it became beyond painful. I could not stand laying down. Baby was extremely posterior. I tried hands and knees, which worked for a while. I had my husband digging his fingers into my lower back in that position during a contraction. It was working. Contractions kept getting more painful, longer, and closer together. I couldn't sit on my hands and knees anymore so I just sat down and leaned forward and had 3 people giving me the roughest massage of my life on my lower back. Any pain besides contraction pain felt better.

Anyway, the nurse was telling me I had just a TINY sliver of cervix left so I wasnt allowed to push. She was telling me that for like 10 minutes. That's the worst thing to hear when you have the biggest urge to just PUSH. Finally, I told the midwife I just had to push, I couldn't take it anymore. So the midwife held the little piece of cervix to the side while I pushed my baby down. It took about 30 pushes but my little posterior baby came!!

And left me with 12 stitches

But..I did it!

Mama to my little men Brendan and PJ

Brendan Collin 11/03/08
Peyton James 07/11/11
October 31st, 2008, 10:20 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
may I ask why you are being induced??

I know there are at least a couple mamas on here who were induced without an epidural, but I've heard its much more difficult as the contractions are MUCH more intense than natural labor.

With any luck you'll go into labor on your own in the next couple days. I would do everything possible to avoid an induction (walking LOTS, sex, etc...) because I don't want all the risks associated with it.

BUT, it can be done. It just takes more determination.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 1st, 2008, 05:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have heard the same thing. I would definitely be doing everything I could to get labor going this weekend before the induction. Hopefully you wont need it. Will you have a doula to help support you. I'm sure you can do it if you put your mind to it. Good luck! Can't wait to hear your birth story.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 1st, 2008, 06:24 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
It can be done. I was given pitocin at the hospital after we thought my water had broken and it had been 12 hours since it happened. I wasn't having consistent contractions on my own so they gave me the pit to get things going. I would recommend highly NOT getting induced if all else is well. If your baby is still doing well and you are not having any risk factors that would require being induced I would try to wait a few more days. You can always just not go in tomorrow night. People do that all the time. But if you do decide to let them induce you, it can be done but it really is difficult. Because you will be on pitocin you will be essentially restrained to your bed and will be forced to push lying on your back, which is the least optimal position to do so. You can definitely do it but you need to know that it won't be easy and you really just need to remind yourself that it will not last forever. And the minute you feel like you can't take it anymore, just wait a little while longer. You will likely be almost done at that point.

Good luck no matter what you decide. I know it's hard when you have a doctor or midwife telling you that you need to be induced. But please know that you don't have to. Not yet.

I hope to hear that everything went really smoothly and you got the natural birth you want!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

November 1st, 2008, 07:17 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
it can be done... but you will need lots of support! have you and DH done a NCB prep class or read anything?

I've had clients hire me last minute- and I'd really advise you to do the same, especially if you haven't extensively prepared.

November 1st, 2008, 07:25 AM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
It can be done without the epi but it is difficult. With the induction drugs your contrax will be much more intense But if you have the determination it definitely can be done with out drugs.

November 1st, 2008, 07:48 AM
I also want to add this- an epidural should not be seen as a faliure. Pregnacy, parenting and life in general are not something we can plan- we can only try to plan then.

obviously it is best to avoid any drugs if possible- but if you truely feel you can't go on without it- that is ok too.

ok- and are you trying any natural induction tricks before you're induced? Sex (with no barrier) is really helpful to soften your cervix. Walking and lots of exercise are also really great to help labor get started.

November 1st, 2008, 08:32 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Acupuncture can be used to induce labor, find someone who practices "traditional chinese medicine" (not 5 element or Worsley style, which is most common in FLA) and has experience doing this. If all else fails, there is the castor oil best of luck to you.

November 1st, 2008, 08:48 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I agree, try to do everything you can this weekend to get things started on it's own. With pitocin things can get intense immediately and you don't get the gradual build up. As mentioned you are the final decision maker and if you don't want the induction, you don't have to consent.

There is an eggplant parm recipe that has a legend of starting labor- check it out!! I'd make that pronto, get walking, have some sex with hubby, climb stairs, and have a glass of wine with that eggplant parm!
November 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes I have tried everything besides drinking castor oil, etc..I just don't want to do that. I walk 3X a day, every day..and I have lots of (good) sex. I have gotten a membrane sweep and lost my plug...I have been crampy but nothing too exciting. They want to induce me cause I am 2 weeks overdue. I know induction is no good, but I am going to let them induce me if he doesn't come by the induction date. I have been on NST's and his heartrate isn't as strong as it used to be, movements aren't as much as it was a week ago, and I just want him out so I know he is healthy and safe!

They are starting me with Cervidil first, if nothing happens in 12hours then I get pitocin

Mama to my little men Brendan and PJ

Brendan Collin 11/03/08
Peyton James 07/11/11
November 1st, 2008, 02:36 PM
I can respect that decision. Just keep in mind its VERY normal to go over your "due" date. From your siggy it looks like you are only a little over a week overdue. The average gestation for first time babies/moms is just over 41 weeks, so I'd venture to guess you'll go into labor on your own within a few days anyway. I personally wouldn't choose to be induced.

Just be SURE they don't give you cytotec. Also keep in mind if the cervidil doesn't do anything to start up your labor, you can ask to stop the induction and go home (so long as they haven't broken your water).

Do your best to be mobile during labor. Being on your back and stuck in bed will not help you progress and will probably only increase the need for more pitocin and make you want an epidural all the more. It's VERY uncomfortable for most women to be on their backs during labor.

You can ask them to turn down/off the pit anytime also to see if your body will continue to labor on its own. It may be that all you need is a "jump start" and not necessarily need the constant drip. Your body may take over.

Pitocin contractions can be much harder on the baby than natural ones, so keep that in mind too.

November 1st, 2008, 04:55 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Sounds like you are doing all you can so I really hope you labor starts up for you before you go in. Good luck hun! I'm sure you are going to do fine!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

November 2nd, 2008, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Sounds like you are doing all you can so I really hope you labor starts up for you before you go in. Good luck hun! I'm sure you are going to do fine![/b]
Good luck!!!!

November 3rd, 2008, 07:33 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I wonder how the weekend went?

November 3rd, 2008, 07:58 AM
Me too!!!!

November 3rd, 2008, 09:16 AM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
Me too! Hopefully since there is no update she went into labor on her own? *crosses fingers*

November 9th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Just saw your post on another thread! Congrats on being able to go natural and avoiding the induction!! And congrats on your new little one.

Sorry about him being posterior though You are very strong being able get through that all natural.

November 9th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! I'm so glad to hear that you got through it naturally! WAY TO GO MAMA!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 9th, 2008, 02:52 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Congrats on your epi-free birth! Great job mama!!!!
November 9th, 2008, 03:16 PM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!!!
Sounds like you did GREAT!!!! Way to go!!!
Sorry to hear about the stitches though, ouch!

Best wishes to you and baby Brendan!!!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search