Posterior baby

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2008, 07:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I could be overreacting, but I have only heard bad things about posterior babies. DH was posterior and his mom's labor and delivery was horrible. She tore badly, because of the way he came out. My neighbor had 2 previous posterior babies, both ending in c-section (although I know that's more of a worse case scenario). I'm not so worried about that outcome, but mostly, the thought of back labor scares me, I've heard it's very painful. I'm pretty sure this one is posterior and I would love to get her to rotate before my labor starts. My midwives have mentioned her position but haven't expressed any concern about it. My 36 week appointment is a week from Monday, so I plan to ask then if they don't mention anything again. Any suggestions from someone who's had a posterior baby?

Expecting baby #4!

November 1st, 2008, 07:15 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I have no confirmation, but I honestly believe Nola was posterior through most of her labor. I think she turned at the end. But from the way labor felt I think she was turned wrong.

You have plenty of time for her to turn. Check out spinningbabies.com for tips on getting her to move. My first was posterior at 39 weeks, and turned before labor.

During labor hands and knees positions create less stress on your back, water helps a TON (submerged at least mid-belly), anything leaning forward helps.

NCB is still an option if you have someone who can talk you through managing it and/or helping baby reposition.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 1st, 2008, 09:34 PM
littlebabydolly
My midwife seemed a little concerned about my babies position as well. Its not fully posterior but right side leaning. I do feel him in the middle and left too sometimes though so maybe she was just responding to how she felt he was at the moment. Still, it has me worried. The best you can do is the things recommended on spinning babies website. Get on hands and knees for pelvic tilts and hands and elbows to create a baby hammock with your uterus. Sit on a excersize ball when you can and try often for good posture. I've even checked how my car seat is so Im not reclining. I hear walking helps a lot to settle baby too. I think its probably something that we shouldnt totally freak ourselves out about though. Sometimes Im just dead tired and need to lay back a little.
November 2nd, 2008, 01:38 AM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Both Ethan and Madison where posterior, I don't realy have anything to compare it to as both labors where back labor but I didn't find it hard to handle as long as I could move around. With Madison when they tried to make me lay on a bed I couldn't stand it, but as long as I could walk around and do what I wanted it wasn't that bad, I didn't even know I was in labor with Ethan until I was 7cm dilated.
I imagine water would be great for it, I delivered both of the kids in a kneeling position, I think that helped. At my last appointment bub was posterior so my midwife told me that he would give me some exercises to do if he is still in that position next appointment.
Anyways I hope all our bubs move into the right position before we go into labor, should make it a bit easier for us cb
November 2nd, 2008, 04:05 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I agree about using the exercises listed on spinning babies. It is still pretty early and you little one could turn at any time. I've heard that it is more painful when they are posterior but it can definitely be done. Are you having a water birth? I hope your little one turns soon so you won't even have to worry about this. Good luck!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

November 2nd, 2008, 05:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm definitely hoping for a water birth, and I will at least have that option. Even if I labor at home for a little bit, I'll fill up our tub the best I can and labor in there. Either way, once I'm in active labor, I don't think my midwives will turn me away if I want to come into the birth center for the tub.
I really want to use my exercise ball, but after a few days of it, I remember why I put it away in the first place. For some reason it really aggrevates my sciatica this pregnancy. I've been in so much pain the past few days, so I'm going to go a few days without it again and see if that helps. I forgot about spinningbabies.com, I never ran across it when I was searching, so I'll have to check it out.
I know it's still early and she has time to turn, I'm worried because she's been in this position since she settled head down, so about 4 weeks. I'm worried she's going to get comfy and decide to hang out that way for a while I have already gotten a good tip from my midwife at my birth class about how to turn a posterior baby during labor (2 contractions on one side, 2 on your hands and knees, 2 on the other). I just want to avoid it getting to that point in the first place if I can. Turn baby girl, turn!

Expecting baby #4!

November 2nd, 2008, 05:57 AM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To avoid a posterior baby lean forward a lot, sit on a birth ball, do not recline back much, and hands and knees. I had one posterior baby out of my 4 and her labor was 5 million times more painful and hard than my others. Avoid it BEFORE labor starts!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

November 2nd, 2008, 08:50 AM
mothra's Avatar Martha
*popping in*
my son was posterior, and i don't want to scare you but it ended in a c-section. but that wasn't the only reason, there were other factors that contributed. honestly i feel like someone should have caught onto that fact beforehand, because i'd had an external version done at 37 weeks when he was still breech. so his positioning should have been on someone's mind. i've heard before that sometimes the midwife or whoever can physically turn them in the birth canal with her hand if the situation is right. MamaAshley is right though, there are ways that you can help avoid that. turn baby turn!

November 2nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Both of my babies were persistently posterior. My first I had in the hospital, was forced to stay in bed the entire time, makign back labor unbearable. I eventually got an epidural, and the dr cut an episiotomy against my wishes - he came out posterior (never turned), with one hand up.

My second - I had her at home & did everything possible - she would turn from the posterior position, but sometimes only about halfway where she was facing my side. I saw a chiro several times a week, and did acupuncture.

When I finally went into labor, I absolutely could not tolerate leaning back - Only leaning forward while sitting, or being on my knees or hands/knees. I got into the water as soon as I possibly could & as long as I was in the tub, on my knees, leaning against the wall of the tub, it was manageable.

what was really cool about her birth though, is that during the end stage of labor - my MWs assistant had her hand on my tailbone, where I was feeling most of the pressure. She would put a warm washcloth on it to help. At the last moment, the baby moved down, and turned, and not only could I feel it, but she felt my tailbone instantly go "in". Almost like it had been popped up the entire time. Its hard to explain. Anyways, it moved lol.

And that instant, all the pain/pressure against my tailbone was relieved & she came out anterior (face down).

I'm pretty sure the big difference was not only everythign i did during my pg, but particularly being on hand/knees during labor & pushing!

BTW, i only barely tore, and it was along my episiotomy scar, I"m pretty sure had i never had an episiotomy, i wouldn't have torn. It was minor enough that I opted not to have it stitched.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
November 2nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have heard many babies turn during labor, which is probably why my MWs aren't concerned. I also thought about starting to see a chiropractor around 37-38 weeks if she hasn't turned by then. DD was anterior the minute she turned head down though, because I always felt her butt on my right side. So I know it doesn't have to do with my pelvic structure as to why she is this way. Luckily, I've been told most 2nd+ babies don't drop until labor, so she can turn anytime.

Expecting baby #4!

November 3rd, 2008, 06:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I asked a my friend about this and her second delivery the baby was posterior. She said that laboring on her hands and knees in the tub was the only comfortable position. She had her husband putting pressure against her back non-stop the whole time. Unfortunately she wasn't able to deliver in the tub (hospital policy) but she did deliver on her hands and knees on the bed, and did not tear or need an episiotomy. I would definitely try all the exercises you can and hopefully she will turn! I know you'll do great and have the NCB that you want!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 3rd, 2008, 06:44 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Andrea-

back labor can be really challenging. My friend had true back labor at a birthing center in CT, I was there with her. One thing they did was give her saline injections in her lower back. It does wear off eventually but it helped a lot while it was working. She was in the tub for a long time.

I didn't have true back labor, but the muscles in my lower back spasmed the entire time, and it was worse than the actual contractions. I did request the saline injections but the stupid nurse never made it happen. My doula put pressure on my lower back the entire time and that helped so much. I was never able to get into the tub at the hospital but at home being in my tub helped a lot.

cat cows are great for trying to coax baby to turn. There is a video demo on that page.

November 4th, 2008, 05:34 AM
~Jackie
Kailey was posterior and it didn't even occur to me that what I experienced was back labor until after the labor. Yea, I had back... "pangs" as I like to call them. There was a pressure spot on my sacrum that felt WONDERFUl when my MW pressed on it. We didn't even know Kailey was posterior until her little head squished out. I did tear horribly, but I was also in the bed with an epi too

My labor to 10cm was cake and she was posterior the whole time. Don't worry, it's different for everyone. It doesn't have to be painful!!
November 4th, 2008, 07:47 AM
MamaBx3
Sophia was in the right position UNTIL I was in labor .. that's when she turned to posterior and it was awful.
I have no advice .. I'm scared of labor and delivery this time around because last time was so horrible .. All I can say is that I really hope you don't have to go through a posterior labor and delivery.
November 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I recently just gave birth on November 3rd to a posterior baby! I went drug free also...

And yes, it hurts beyond belief in your lower back/hips. I had no contractions in the front what so ever. I had 3 people giving me the roughest massage on my lower back during contractions because any pain besides contraction pain felt better.

I was walking around 2cm dilated for 2 weeks before labor. When I got to hospital (was supposed to get induced but happened to go on my own overnight) I was having painful (but not impossible to deal with) contractions from 3am - 7am. From 3am - 7am I went from 2cm to 5cm. I then went from 5cm - 8cm in 30 minutes. It didn't get beyond painful until 8cm-10cm. You can do it ! Just make sure you have people digging their fists/fingers/etc as hard as they can into your lower back, and do not stay on your back! 8cm-10cm took me 2 and a half hours.

I also tore a lot when my baby came out. Left me with 12 stitches. I also pushed for 45 minutes on my back before he made his entrance, But it's been a week and I feel great

Mama to my little men Brendan and PJ

Brendan Collin 11/03/08
Peyton James 07/11/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search