Bradley Method

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
I was in the hospital yesterday (we are good) the anesthesiologist said the Bradley Method was bad, didnt give me any reason why; but why do you think?
November 4th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
what does the anesthesiologist know about birth methods? All he/she knows is what goes one when they come into to do an epi or spinal. My guess would be they've seen or heard it talked about and "failing" while putting in an epidural.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 4th, 2008, 01:25 PM
~Jackie
That sounds like a rather hilarious situation. Just like an OB saying homebirths are dangerous.... well duh... of course you'd say that. You'd be out of a job buck-o.
November 4th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
The Bradley method is very successful and I'm sure this guy has no first hand experience with any NCB method. So yeah, I wouldn't trust his opinion on this subject at all. Sounds to me like he wants to make someone looking for NCB seem like they can't do it. I don't know why he would say that to someone who is pregnant and planning a NCB.

November 4th, 2008, 02:04 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
well first of all the Bradley Method doesn't use epidurals. So I guess that's the answer right there!!
November 4th, 2008, 05:06 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Since I am a nurse anesthetist, maybe I can shed light on why he'd say something so idiotic. Some mommies doing Bradley (or any other method of NCB) get so hung up and focused on a vaginal delivery, that they'll refuse a c-section even when baby is doing very poorly. I hate to say it, but I've seen a brain injured baby from hypoxia.....that could most likely been prevented if Mom would have said yes to an earlier C-section. It's a fine balance.....

With that said, he probably does hate Bradley since it means no epi, no money for him. (Just being realistic for a moment)

The most important thing in any birth is a healthy baby and healthy mom. I believe the way to get there is via the least number of interventions possibe. Which is why I'm trying my hardest for a NCB and studying hypnobabies! It makes me VERY RARE in my field.

It's hard to make that decision to agree to a csection, when it feels like your NCB is being pulled away from you. I pray I don't have to run into that decision myself. I don't know how long I'll be able to refuse a section if my LO's heartrate continued to stay low.

Come visit my blog!
November 5th, 2008, 05:19 AM
~Jackie
What is funny is that women wouldn't make those mistakes if we didn't always have to question whether the Dr. was using a scare tactic or if it was a real emergency.
November 5th, 2008, 12:12 PM
ahh, He asked me what I was planning to do and i said NCB and he said is this your 1st baby, i said yea; then he said oo you'll get one.
November 5th, 2008, 12:49 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Well said Jackie! It's so sad that it's such a hard differentiation to make.

And Mommy 2009- it sounds like the MDA you met is a real jerk. I hate hearing crap like that, and believe me-- I get it EVERY day at work. You CAN do it, we just have to believe in our bodies.

Come visit my blog!
November 5th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Don't listen to that guy!! If anything take that as more ammo to prove another person wrong. You can do it girl!!

November 5th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's sad how many people think that giving birth without drugs is either impossible or just stupid. I suppose it's one of the only painful things that brings great rewards. Otherwise, we are told pain is bad and we need drugs to fix it. I'm not suprised to hear that from someone in that field though. Chances are, he knows nothing about the Bradley Method.
On that note, my midwife discussed a little about the Bradley Method in my childbirth class. She did say that she didn't feel it was helpful or neccessary, although I do have to disagree. With my first daughter, we also had a birth class our hospital taught, which had one class on breathing techniques. I feel that's what helped me through my labor. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe my instinct would have kicked in and I would have known how to breath through contractions. I remembered the exercises we had done in that class though, and it had given me a good foundation to work off of. I like the idea of going into labor with an open mind, accepting what is happening, working with my body and doing what I need to, to work through the contractions. I think what is especially important is having the information to know when medical interventions are neccessary and how to work with your labor to help it progress.

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
November 6th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I did the Bradley Method and had a great drug-free birth. The relaxation techniques were really helpful, at least for me. I would totally recommend it!

November 6th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
He's probably saying that cause it costs him $ when a couple uses the Bradley Method. There's not a need for his service. He also seems very uneducated to me about it because of his attitude
November 13th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I'm going to prove him and everyone wrong!!I hope

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search