What should I do?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
The time for my husband and I to start trying to conceive baby number two is coming up so quickly... I can't believe it is next month! I eat healthy, exercise regularly, take vitamins, practice kegels, etc and I know I'm physically, emotionally, and mentally ready. Now that I'm in good shape, at an excellent weight, and have reached that point of feeling that I can do this in general.... I've been thinking of other aspects that I will be needing to think about in the near future (hopefully)'. I'm feeling somewhat discouraged by the fact that I may not be able to birth in my environment of choice. With Rayne I had so much going on already plus the post preclampsia, that I have no regrets of having a hospital birth... but this time I want something different. I'm hoping that pregnancy and labor go very differently the second time around, and would LOVE it if I could go to a birth center. The trouble is, there is none that I'm aware of nearby and I'm scared of having to travel far away when in labor. I guess the most important thing for me is to have a natural child birth, and location shouldn't matter so much. Do you think it's easier to achieve a NCB if you attend a BC? Should I be concerned with the Preclampsia in the past or are there ways that I can prevent it? Any tips or advice you could give me to choosing a location? When you found out that you were pregnant did you start out going to a regular doctor to get it confirmed or did you go straight to a Birth Center and remain there throughout the entire pregnancy? Thanks in advance!

November 8th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
what about this one? http://www.birthcenter.com/index.html

Even if they are too far they may be able to point you in a direction with helping find a midwife or BC near you.

I had a successful NCB in a hospital with my first (second was a BC) and I didn't find it any more difficult to achieve. HOWEVER, I had a midwife that basically locked everyone else out. 90% of my labor was in the bathroom tub with the door shut and only the MW and my mom or DH in there. I got out a few times to be monitored (which SUCKED). But because she didn't really let anyone in there I never got offered or pressure to get anything.

It's not the same in all hospitals or with all caregivers, so take your time and find someone who will help you achieve what you want. Explain your concerns and find someone that will help you avoid Pre-E and any other complications.

Having to travel a little ways to get what you want isn't a bad thing. yeah it sucks to drive during labor, but it can be worth it.

With both of my girls I used a midwife for all my prenatal care. in fact I've never even BEEN to an OB! They handle everything. I did get sent to a clinic for my u/s because they dont' have a machine at the birth center for that. But otherwise they did everything needed. They will refer you if you develop complications that they can't handle though.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 8th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I do feel environment has an impact. It doesn't mean you can't have a very successful NCB in a hospital, but I think you need to be more insistent about what you want. If others are not willing to work with you and you dont' have someone else fighting for you, then that can make it more difficult. I feel that the hospital I gave birth to DD in was not very flexible with a NCB. I would have really had to fight to get things a certain way. Having a good doula or midwife would certainly help though.
One place I found some good information was the Mothering.com forums, which have a "Find your tribe" section. There were a lot of local moms willing to point me in the right direction. I was lucky, there's only 1 or 2 birth centers in my state and the biggest one is 30 minutes away. It's a great place and I'm so happy I chose it for this birth. I didn't start going there from the beginning of my pregnancy, but only because we knew we were moving and we weren't sure where to yet. I was lucky and it was still close enough that I could use the birth center, so I switched over around the time I was 4 months pregnant.
I don't know much about pre-e, so I'm not sure how to prevent it. Midwives typically focus a lot on keeping mom healthy though, so she can avoid complications during the pregnancy.
I hope you are able to get the birth that you want. It's always worth a try!

Expecting baby #4!

November 8th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I agree it might hinder a natural child birth some, but if you have your mind set, you will achieve it, (pending all medical needs). My drive is pretty far as well and that makes me very nervous but I don't care. My drive is 30 min-an hour drive to the birth center. My labor with Nichole was 2 1/2 hours and that's from 2-10 and baby out! I also don't know how long I was at a 10 as I did have an epidural.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search