My letter regarding the birth center

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
As I said in another post there is a committee planning to meet with the Board of Trustees hoping to stop births at the birth center we are going to for this pregnancy/birth. The midwives are requesting us to write letters to the Board so I was wondering if you would mind reviewing my letter to let me know what you think?

Thanks ladies. Here is the letter:

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Dear Board of Trustees:

It has come to my attention that on November 18, 2008 it will be proposed to you that the North Shore Birth Center no longer allow births, requiring all mothers to birth at Beverly Hospital instead. I urge you not to agree to this proposal and to allow births to continue at the North Shore Birth Center.

I am currently pregnant and receiving prenatal care from the wonderful midwives at the Birth Center. Although I live almost an hour away from the Birth Center, my husband and I have chosen to utilize the services of the Birth Center because of a negative experience in a hospital during the birth of our son. There are a number of hospitals that are within minutes of my home but we love knowing that using the Birth Center allows us a very relaxed and personal environment with no need for unnecessary interventions that are often mandated in hospitals. We also are comforted by the fact that Beverly Hospital is right across the street should the hospital’s services be needed.

However, if the Trustees should agree to stop births in the Birth Center there would be no reason for us to continue care with Beverly Hospital. This would require us to look into other options to achieve the natural childbirth we want. We would likely choose a local hospital to birth in, as home births are not covered under our insurance plan.

I plead with you to continue allowing births at the Birth Center. Please allow women to continue to have choices when it comes to birth and to allow us the natural births we so desire.

Sincerely,

Cindy ****

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

November 10th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think that's great! I'm sorry they are even considering this, I really hope they realize that they would lose many patients if they agree to it.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

November 10th, 2008, 09:08 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
I think that sounds good. I'm so sorry they are trying to get rid of your center! I so wish we could get one here in Charlotte.

Come visit my blog!
November 10th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think that sounds great. Do you know if there are a lot of other people who travel distances to deliver at that birth center? Perhaps you could mention the effect if ALL of these patients sought treatment at other facilities as a result of the birth center being closed.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 11th, 2008, 11:43 AM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
Your letter sounds great! I don't think that I could have worded it better myself!

Do you know why they are even considering stopping the birth services there? I don't see the point in allowing prenatal care but not births, personally.

November 11th, 2008, 03:05 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
crossing my fingers for you babe!
November 11th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Your letter sounds great! I don't think that I could have worded it better myself!

Do you know why they are even considering stopping the birth services there? I don't see the point in allowing prenatal care but not births, personally.[/b]
I work in healthcare administration, so I can probably guess what they are doing. Many insurance company's are cutting reimbursement rates, and the cost of everything is going up (even in healthcare) so many hospitals are looking for anyway they can to cut costs. By not having a second facility they probably think they can save money. But like Cindy said, It sounds like a lot of people will find alternative hospitals and they will end up losing out in the end.

ETA: Not that I agree with it at ALL. But with my background and education in healthcare administration and management, that would be my guess.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 11th, 2008, 04:21 PM
noworries
Sounds good Cindy. I hope the Board of Trustees listens to all of you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search