I had my son!!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2008, 03:57 PM
whodatmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm editing some photos to be posted soon. He is such a great baby. I love him so much. Here is our story...

On Tuesday morning, 11/11/08 I was awoken by a strong contraction at around 7:30am. I had been up all night because I was too uncomfortable to sleep. I was annoyed to be awake and immediately went back to sleep. At 8:30am, I was again awakened by contractions. This time, four or five came in a row. They were very close together. I told dh what was going on and we started getting ready for our midwife to come for our regular appointment. When Sherri arrived at 10:30am, we had a normal prenatal visit. The only difference was that I had to stop and breathe through some of my contractions. Instead of driving back to her home, almost 2hrs away, she decided to stay and observe what may happen. We went to one of our fav lunch places and I loaded up on protein just in case. The contractions were pretty steady and by that time I had started to lose my mucous plug. I was getting excited. Things were happening, and on my Grandad in law's bday no less. We were ecstatic.

Back at home, things seemed to stall out. I made some phone calls and dh prepared to pick up the kids from school. By the time the kids got home, the contractions had slowed way down. They were only coming every half hour or so. I told Sherri that I didn't think she should stay because I didn't think I was in labor. She asked if I minded if she stayed. She said she had a feeling that my contractions were going to pick up again after my kids went to bed. She was right. Around 8pm, the contractions started becoming more regular. At 10:30pm, I instructed my dh to take a nap. He looked like death warmed over and I could tell he didn't have the energy to get through the night without a nap. Between Sherri and my cousin, I was covered for a while. I got to 9.5cm very quickly. I would say right round midnight. At that time, I started asking about James. I sent my cousin to wake him around 1am. Needless to say, he feels horribly for falling asleep, but he needed that nap.

At 1am, I was still handling the contractions pretty well. I traveled from the toilet, to the bed, to the bath several times. The pain was nearly unbearable at 3am, yet I still had an anterior lip and was still only at 9.5cm. I was discouraged. I had now been in transition for three hours and I was starting to lose my mind with pain. Thank God contractions come in waves. Sherri broke my water to try and help things along. I think I lost ten pounds when that water came gushing out. I was still 9.5cm. I felt something was wrong and wondered if we needed to go to the hospital. Our midwife left the decision up to us, but did inform us that the baby sounded great and was not in any distress. I asked how much longer she thought we could wait before we needed to go. She stated that if nothing had changed by 5am, we should consider it as a possibility. My husband made the call that we would wait till 5am.

At 5am, there was no change in dilation. However, my baby was coming down and my body had started slow pushes. I was told to let my body do all the pushing and not to help because we didn't want to risk making my cervix swell. I was still at 9.5cm. At that point, I got out of the tub. I could no longer handle the disgusting things floating around in the water and did NOT want my baby born in there. Around 5:30am, the baby really started coming down and I couldn't wait much longer to push. Sherri checked me again and I still had a lip. I thought I would cry and asked to go to the hospital. Sherri said there was no time that the baby was right there and proceeded to hold back the anterior cervical lip as I could no longer keep myself from pushing. His head crowned with an intense fire that I will never forget. The back of my legs near my rear were cramping up so badly that I couldn't hold them up. My husband had to hold one leg. After he crowned, I was told to get on my hands and knees because his shoulders were stuck. Simply turning over suddenly became this insurmountable task. Once I did finally get turned over, one of my legs became dead weight. I could not even pull my knee up. My dh had to do it for me. While I pushed, Sherri helped gently maneuver Ethan's shoulders out. He was born in the next two very gentle pushes.

Ethan Davis Robb was born at home on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 at 6:07am during a calm but steady rain. He weighed 8lbs 2oz and was 20.75 inches long. He was brought into the world as his siblings slept soundly in their rooms. Ethan took about a minute to start breathing. His apgars were 6 and 10. He nursed right away and is an expert nurser already. Any position we try seems to work. He has been a very calm soul thus far. He is very observant, and will turn to look if someone is talking. He looks like a cross between my first two. Big brother and big sister are smitten. There has been no jealousy at all. It has been the most joyful experience for both of them. They adore him. I am really pleased that things are going so well.

Ethan's birth was by far the longest and most difficult birth of all three of my children. Worse even than the pitocin induction. We had several unexpected complications, but in the end did not require a transfer to the hospital. Our midwife is amazing. She helped us through each situation like she had channeled Ina Mae Gaskin. In a hospital, my dh and I would have been laboring alone. The docs never would have recognized that I was pushing against an anterior cervical lip. In a hospital setting, I would have been labeled as failing to progress and kindly given my c-section. I am so glad that I was at home with a care provider that stayed 25 hours with us and helped guide our baby into this world peacefully. The difference between OB care and Midwifery care is phenomenal. Being at home definitely went differently than we expected, but I would do it all again in a heartbeat. Childbirth is a primal experience better served in the privacy of my own home. It is not for everyone, but for those of you who are interested in it, I recommend it. I have never had such a beautiful experience.

The universe has balanced out a difficult birth with a very easy recovery. Four days pp, I am barely bleeding. I did not tear at all. I have had a ton of energy, have lost a good bit of weight and people have been really respectful when visiting. I couldn't ask for a better baby. My dh is so wonderful and supportive. I have been truly blessed.

Our pediatrician of 10 years has denied our baby medical care because he was born under the care of a midwife. She wanted all of these tests run on him before she would take him as a patient. Duh, lady that is why we are trying to bring him to the doctor! So we can get that PKU you so desperately want him to have. We have found a new ped and have had the required pku, vit K, hearing test etc. The nurse at l&d (where his tests were done) tried to refuse giving Ethan his tests. She was so condescending to us simply because she did not agree with our choice to have him at home. The ped had to remind her that she was his employee and that she would indeed give the baby the required tests. Amazing huh? Who cares about her though, she wasn't bringing me down. I am still struggling to find a doc to circumsize him. Dang my dh for making us do that.

Thanks for reading my homebirth saga...we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

November 17th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! How far along were you, if you don't mind me asking?

I enjoyed reading your birth story. Although it made me a little nervous, lol It's good to hear how much you enjoyed being under the care of your midwife and knowing that your birth went so much more smoothly just because of that.

I find it ridiculous that you had so many problems getting some routine tests done. What one earth?

November 17th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I'm so very happy for you Destiney! Congratulations on the birth of Ethan! I'm so proud of you and you did an amazing job. I'm so relieved that all went well and you had such a wonderful midwife. I can't wait to see pics of the sweet boy!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

November 17th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Katty85's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations!!
November 17th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! It sounds like you did an amazing job and had a great birth despite the fact that it was long and hard and not totally what you expected. I'm sorry that you've had so much trouble getting the appropriate medical care for him. That's just absolutely ridiculous.

Congratulations! It sounds like you did an amazing job and had a great birth despite the fact that it was long and hard and not totally what you expected. I'm sorry that you've had so much trouble getting the appropriate medical care for him. That's just absolutely ridiculous.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 17th, 2008, 06:16 PM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!!! Such a wonderful birth you had! Glad it all worked out! Can't wait to see pics of your boy
November 17th, 2008, 06:33 PM
whodatmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks guys! I was 40 weeks 2 days when when he was born. I am so happy the pregnancy is finally over. It was difficult during the past few months. I just posted a pic. Thank you all for reading my long winded birth story.

November 17th, 2008, 07:06 PM
LadyLuck's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyLuck
Your birth story is fabulous - just proves that even the long, hard labors are still totally worth it! : )

I went through the same ordeal trying to get routine tests done for my daughter after she was born, I felt so shunned!!
November 17th, 2008, 07:36 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
YOU ROCK!!!!!!
November 18th, 2008, 07:06 AM
MamaBx3

What a great birth story!!!!! Congrats!
November 18th, 2008, 02:07 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honey, it's sounds like you did amazing! And although it wasn't as easy as you hoped, it sounds as though you are left confident and happy, knowing you had a very successful birth at home as you wished. I'm so proud of you!
November 18th, 2008, 02:59 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like you had a wonderful birth! Congrats!

November 19th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
Thank you for sharing your amazing birth story!! You did fantastic! Congratulations on your beautiful boy!

November 19th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!!!! Great birth story!!!

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
November 20th, 2008, 05:37 PM
littlebabydolly
Congratulations! I cant wait to see photos.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search